Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Combo posted:

So I've never really followed MLS before this year but now that St. Louis has a team I've watched every minute and have been loving it.

For those of you who know the league well, how legit are we? I know we got poo poo canned by Seattle but we also have now beat two teams that have beat Seattle. Realistically though are we maybe slightly better than middle of the pack-ish? I just don't have knowledge on the league overall yet.

The beauty of everything is that your team is legit until it isn't. Sometimes it's as simple as that. Maybe a team gets lucky, maybe their opponents crap their pants. The shiny things shine regardless. So have fun!

Turns out I sound sane when speaking of any team other than my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

well minnesota were the first to figure out the advanced strategy of "don't pass the ball back to klaus on the edge of your own penalty area" and since then stl is 1-2, so...

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

i ragequit appletv last week, someone let me know when they don't spoil every loving game for you

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
went to the revs last night. didn't realize how much of a change closing up the lighthouse end would be after all the construction at Gillette - felt significantly louder from my seat at that end of the pitch

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

barnold posted:

went to the revs last night. didn't realize how much of a change closing up the lighthouse end would be after all the construction at Gillette - felt significantly louder from my seat at that end of the pitch

Is it done yet? I haven’t been since they started all that. Nice to know it’s louder there; still sounds cavernous on tv unfortunately .

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Is it done yet? I haven’t been since they started all that. Nice to know it’s louder there; still sounds cavernous on tv unfortunately .

It isn't done yet. There's only about 1/3rd or 1/4th of the total big screen up so far; when done it will stretch across the entire lighthouse end, plus some kind of "hospitality and function spaces" behind the big screen. Once that is done, the lighthouse end will be totally enclosed.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Do over Ham posted:

It isn't done yet. There's only about 1/3rd or 1/4th of the total big screen up so far; when done it will stretch across the entire lighthouse end, plus some kind of "hospitality and function spaces" behind the big screen. Once that is done, the lighthouse end will be totally enclosed.

not true - the entire screen is up now and is very massive. there is still a lot of work to be done on the concourses and exterior, and the corner where the gates were has like half its seats removed, but they've made a lot of progress since the last time I was there earlier this month

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

barnold posted:

not true - the entire screen is up now and is very massive. there is still a lot of work to be done on the concourses and exterior, and the corner where the gates were has like half its seats removed, but they've made a lot of progress since the last time I was there earlier this month

Where is the rest of it? I didn't see this in daylight so maybe it is mostly done, but only a portion of the screen is done.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the new display is the entire black portion of that wall to the right of the existing screen. when I was there on 3/18 for the Revs against Nashville, it wasn't up and there was just the scaffolding visible, but now it is. it's just not turned on yet, probably because of all the construction they're still doing behind it

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

barnold posted:

the new display is the entire black portion of that wall to the right of the existing screen. when I was there on 3/18 for the Revs against Nashville, it wasn't up and there was just the scaffolding visible, but now it is. it's just not turned on yet, probably because of all the construction they're still doing behind it

Yes, my bad. I had not seen it properly in daylight.

On the whole I haven't noticed any difference in crowd noise at Gillette since the new construction; however I sit in The Morgue, so it probably won't matter unless they fill up the lower bowl. I imagine that in The Fort itself, they get a nice bounce off of the new construction behind them trapping in the sound.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Can anyone find a full list of free matches for the next month? The Mothership only lists two matches that aren't behind they paywall, both this weekend.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I can't answer your question, but have some funny photos instead:

https://twitter.com/morgantencza/status/1653061143265460224

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

On the bright side if we miss the playoffs yet again Klein will supposedly step down. Which is great cause the biggest Galaxy supporter group decided to knife the rest in the back by unilaterally deciding to end the boycott and return to the stands when it was clear there were cracks starting to form in the front office over it.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Since we're currently without a MDT:

Dallan Invictus posted:

Don't get me wrong it was exciting as goalless draws go, just also maddening. Your guys know how to defend and sprung some dangerous counters, chapeau.

Apple absolutely need to fix their poo poo re spoilers though (also their Android TV app while they're at it, though since I do most of my watching after the wife goes to bed I'm usually in my desktop browser anyway).

Well good to hear, hopefully Rubio gets his groove back soon. If Abubakar is actually playing better this'll be the second year in a row I've reverse-whammied someone, last year was Rubio before he started scoring (hopefully that wasn't just from playing beside Zardez).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Can anyone find a full list of free matches for the next month? The Mothership only lists two matches that aren't behind they paywall, both this weekend.

The site's viewing roundup for the weekend only lists 2 free games (and boy they look like some real winners), so maybe the free-ish ride is over now that we're two months in.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

whypick1 posted:

The site's viewing roundup for the weekend only lists 2 free games (and boy they look like some real winners), so maybe the free-ish ride is over now that we're two months in.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, they're only announcing free matches a week in advance now, as opposed to a month. It's possible MLS might make some more matches free tomorrow.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Emanuel Reynoso is finally back in Minnesota.

https://twitter.com/MNUFC/status/1654954334994542594?s=20

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The first axe has been swung: Chicago Fire part ways with Ezra Hendrickson

edit: We got a two-fer, as The Red Bulls also axed Gerhard Struber this morning

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 8, 2023

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

The team has certainly been floundering from a results perspective but a decent number of the games were relatively close. I guess one win from 11 just isn’t going to cut it. Let’s hope for that new manager bounce.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Max Alves MIGHT have done a match fixing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Reports are coming in that San Diego will be club 30, to start play in 2025. Price tag? Half a billion US dollars

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Has there been any indication of when it stops? Not that I’m against adding more teams since all the other major professional leagues in America have 30+ and adding teams is a solid sign of growth, but I’m curious what the end goal is. San Diego slotting into the west would make it an even 15 in each conference, so that’s nice, but presumably they aren’t just going to keep adding teams ad infinitum.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Apple deal makes me believe they're going to eventually do pro/rel, which would be viable at 36.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

My assumption is we're getting to at minimum 36, maybe 40? If promotion/relegation really comes into play maybe more, but that's still a ways off i think. I think as it is we're gravitating more and more toward 2 fully separate conferences that only real crossover for playoffs and cups. I know a lot people criticize the expansion but its not as if there is a lack of talent pool to keep up as long as salaries keep rising, and the best way to create more mls fans is to add more teams in more places - local connection is MLS's best pitch, otherwise its hard to make a good case why someone in san diego or las vegas or whichever other potential expansion city should be watching MLS over Liga MX, premier league, etc.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think that "as they expand they'll have more reason to consider pro/rel" is cope as long as they can keep regionalising the schedule using conferences and/or divisions, because that's always been the American answer to "we have too many teams to easily arrange this league" and there's really no reason to believe that will ever change, it's not like there's actually a rich hidden vein of people who would Absolutely Watch MLS If They Just Did Everything Like Europe -they're already watching the PL or CL, so thanks to the ratings those games get we can tell there actually aren't that many of them despite how loud they are Online.

Agree on the other arguments though, they're why I've always been on team Sure Why Not? If we're going to have a closed league let's have the biggest goddamn closed league we can.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the good USL teams building nice stadiums will make the argument harder in the future

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The big investors hate pro/rel, it's why none of the other sport leagues have it here.

I would be very, very shocked if any of the money sloshing around this league didn't fight it.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Its also been a pretty long time since we've had an expansion team that was an ill-advised failure - chivas usa, rest in peace. Even Inter Miami with their dumb name and high levels of bad management is drawing decent attendance in a notoriously bad market for sports attendance and lots of the recent expansion sides have been pretty big successes on multiple levels.

To be clear i'm skeptical pro/rel is a thing anytime soon or probably ever but who knows. I think at best theres a limited, closed 2 division style system but I don't neccessarily see why that happens versus just more parallel divisions/conferences. MLS Next pro is also kind of a wild card at the moment, I'm not sure the league knows quite what to do with it, they've had big talk about expanding it into more markets and having more unaffiliated sides in it. St Louis used it in an interesting way but i'm generally skeptical how far they can get with it in terms of fan appeal versus just a place for reserves to play. But be it MLS, next pro, or USL for that matter more teams, more soccer stadiums seems like a generally good trend and there isn't really any reason to think we've run out of places in the U.S. and Canada for professional soccer teams to exist.

also if anyone ITT doesn't have it

https://twitter.com/worldsoccertalk/status/1657350203551129600

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 13, 2023

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

G-Hawk posted:

Its also been a pretty long time since we've had an expansion team that was an ill-advised failure - chivas usa, rest in peace. Even Inter Miami with their dumb name and high levels of bad management is drawing decent attendance in a notoriously bad market for sports attendance and lots of the recent expansion sides have been pretty big successes on multiple levels.

To be clear i'm skeptical pro/rel is a thing anytime soon or probably ever but who knows. I think at best theres a limited, closed 2 division style system but I don't neccessarily see why that happens versus just more parallel divisions/conferences. MLS Next pro is also kind of a wild card at the moment, I'm not sure the league knows quite what to do with it, they've had big talk about expanding it into more markets and having more unaffiliated sides in it. St Louis used it in an interesting way but i'm generally skeptical how far they can get with it in terms of fan appeal versus just a place for reserves to play. But be it MLS, next pro, or USL for that matter more teams, more soccer stadiums seems like a generally good trend and there isn't really any reason to think we've run out of places in the U.S. and Canada for professional soccer teams to exist.

also if anyone ITT doesn't have it

https://twitter.com/worldsoccertalk/status/1657350203551129600

Thanks, just grabbed this and watching 360 until the Rapids match starts, me likey.

EDIT: Aw gently caress, ads?

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 14, 2023

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

gently caress, Max suspended by the Rapids after match-fixing (supposedly intentionally getting a yellow for gamblers to cash a bet).

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...ring-in-brazil/

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

MLSPA have update the salary guide for the start of the season

How the hell is Jozy still making $2+ million? :signings:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/sdutzeigler/status/1658527593283584000?t=yf4eOjch6GJdlE6SUoyJUQ&s=19

Hello soccer men

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Of all the western cities that could get club #30, I would've gone with San Diego as my choice. Now, are they the Sockers or the Jaws?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

a neat cape posted:

Hello soccer men

I was expecting Vegas or Phoenix but welcome aboard for Our Dumb League

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Welcome, let’s just hope you get unique branding and not the Chivas USA 2.0 treatment.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I know nothing except that as a San Diegan I am obligated to hate LAFC and the Galaxy

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You'll fit right in then.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Of all the western cities that could get club #30, I would've gone with San Diego as my choice. Now, are they the Sockers or the Jaws?

The current iteration of the San Diego Sockers plays indoors in the MASL so that name isn't available.

I was going to suggest the San Diego Nomads, but they still exist as an amateur team.

I don't think there are any diehards holding out hope for a return of the San Diego Jaws.

If they are going for a Euro-style name please dear God do something original, no more FC or United.

Some names currently not in use in North American professional soccer that might work: Wanderers, Rovers, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, Athletic.

Some more obscure/whimsical name suggestions: Academicals (Hamilton Academical FC), Skolars ("scholars" - London Skolars RLFC), Skeeters (Newark Skeeters, old ASL club).

Or you could go the all-American recursive nickame route (ie "Shelbyville Shelbyvillians"): the San Diego Saints (okay technically not quite recursive, but San and Saint mean the same thing).

I mean they could do a lot worse.

harperdc posted:

Welcome, let’s just hope you get unique branding and not the Chivas USA 2.0 treatment.

San Diego ManSports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansour_Group#ManSports

You heard it here first, folks. Get ready for the ManSports!

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 17, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

We had a NISA soccer team a few years back that was called 1904 FC. 19 = S, 04 = D. I kinda liked that but it might be too hokey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

a neat cape posted:

We had a NISA soccer team a few years back that was called 1904 FC. 19 = S, 04 = D. I kinda liked that but it might be too hokey

It was also an unintentional reference to Anchorman, which is why they got nicknamed Whale's Vagina FC.