Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Wouldn’t be surprised if they go something Naval/Maritime. San Diego Schooners. Ballast Point can be your sponsor. Call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they go something Naval/Maritime. San Diego Schooners. Ballast Point can be your sponsor. Call it a day.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I do like it when MLS teams have a name unique to them and their history rather than picking an identikit surname from a foreign set of football. Columbus Crew, Portland Timbers, Chicago Fire, New England Revolution. All great names imho.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's official for 2025. Whoever makes the MLS 2025 thread needs to use the subtitle 30 for 30 or a variant or else :toughguy:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's just San Diego FC.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, if you've got an Apple TV 4K (any generation), you now have MULTIVIEW for MLS Season Pass.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

live with fruit posted:

It's just San Diego FC.

https://twitter.com/BenHigginsSD/status/1659270494166863873

https://twitter.com/BenHigginsSD/status/1659270706134417408

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm sure it will be exactly like how Charlotte did it and they'll choose "San Diego SC" (I can already hear the "SD. SC." chant) and I will give them poo poo for it at every opportunity for picking such a :geno: name.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It'll be San Diego SC, but the SC stands for 'Super Chargers'.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Edward Mass posted:

Also, if you've got an Apple TV 4K (any generation), you now have MULTIVIEW for MLS Season Pass.

I would appreciate a single 4K feed.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Edward Mass posted:

ok but am I able to watch games the day after without having spoilers shoved down my throat, or have they still not fixed that

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Poonior Toilett posted:

ok but am I able to watch games the day after without having spoilers shoved down my throat, or have they still not fixed that

Somewhat. It's opt-in only, it doesn't work on every system, and it still will sometimes show the scores for a few seconds before hiding them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Toronto FC is a poo poo show:

- Baerdeschi called out Coach Bradley last week post game
- Player Bradley, Osorio and Vasquez (ie "The Midfield" are all out until July or later
- Insigne traveled with the team but got in some kind of fight with Coach Bradley before Saturday night's game and didn't play
- Team is playing incredibly boring uncoordinated football
- Team can't seem to score

Excited to see what happens next!

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Another Bill posted:

Toronto FC is a poo poo show:

- Baerdeschi called out Coach Bradley last week post game
- Player Bradley, Osorio and Vasquez (ie "The Midfield" are all out until July or later
- Insigne traveled with the team but got in some kind of fight with Coach Bradley before Saturday night's game and didn't play
- Team is playing incredibly boring uncoordinated football
- Team can't seem to score

Excited to see what happens next!

and they have the highest payroll in MLS, by a good amount!

the 2 highest payrolls in the league are currently bottom of their respective conferences

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
this is all happening while Toronto Maple Leafs are also blowing up with the firing of the GM that just a few days prior, they wanted to keep. And the Raptors had similar turmoil. MLSE can’t help but ruin good times

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

the 2 highest payrolls in the league are currently bottom of their respective conferences

As much as I want the cap to be simplified, I absolutely love the extent to which using the Beckham rule for actual Beckham signings is now a trap

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I think coach Bradley needs to go, and his son needs to retire and his son needs to not take over coaching duties from his dad when he retires as has been telegraphed. namaste

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
All the matches on June 3rd are free on MLS Season Pass!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1662163190346547204

quote:

“‘How can we reignite this thing? It was to go get a big player and to manage the big player, or two, a big coach,” Manning said. “And that was literally the best-laid plan. Like, how can that fail?”

quote:

Multiple sources within and outside of the team were told that at the conclusion of last season, Insigne declared in front of teammates that he would not return to TFC if Bradley remained head coach. Although he did indeed return, the same sources confirmed Insigne again told teammates this week that he did not want to continue playing under Bradley moving forward.

quote:

Last month, when Michael Bradley and Jonathan Osorio were both injured, Insigne was named captain for the upcoming game against NYCFC. When the team was informed ahead of a training session in preparation for the game, Bernardeschi initially refused to go on to the field, multiple sources who witnessed the encounter said.

quote:

Despite their differences, Insigne and Bernardeschi now appear united in their hopes of creating a change in TFC’s coaching staff.

quote:

In the meeting, per multiple sources present, Bernardeschi quipped “of course, you’re his son” to Michael when the veteran midfielder spoke up to encourage Bernardeschi to air his issues out in the meeting, and “of course, you’re his papa” to Bob. At one point, when Mark-Anthony Kaye interjected, Bernardeschi referred to Kaye as Bob’s “other son.”

quote:

“He’s not a teammate,” said one former Toronto FC player of Michael. “He’s an assistant coach.”

anyways, things are going great, how are y'all

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm going to the Toronto FC game tomorrow night. Will the fans fight the players? The players fight the coach? It's going to be great.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Steve Nash for Toronto FC coach imo, that dudes got game

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Another Bill posted:

Steve Nash for Toronto FC coach imo, that dudes got game

unfortunately he part-owns another team

not that I blame you for forgetting this, most days I think he does too

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Bradley boys are a disaster and they're both poo poo but lmao at anyone being intimidated by Lorenzo Insigne

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

It's fun and cool because these issues were totally visible to anyone that has paid attention to how they've played on the pitch and acted during pressers, and having half a critical brain at the (lack of) talent that's been brought in to surround the DP's. Having it all laid out goes to show that Manning hired a loving moron with no sense how to be a coach of a professional team.

Another Bill posted:

I'm going to the Toronto FC game tomorrow night. Will the fans fight the players? The players fight the coach? It's going to be great.

At this point with how much the FO has dug in their heels about trusting Bradley because he's a "proven winner" unless the supporters full mutiny and leave the stands in protest I don't see timely changes.

Actually this tidbit from a few days ago

quote:

Asked about the comment, Bradley replied: "In football people have different ideas. Not everybody sees the game the same way."

The 65-year-old Bradley challenges his players to identify opportunities and then take advantage of them.

"You are trying every day to get players to think faster, see things faster, execute faster and better. Not everybody sees the game that way but that's how I believe you work," he said "From the beginning with a guy like Fede, I showed him examples of Mohamed Salah (who Bradley coached with Egypt) and Carlos Vela (with Los Angeles FC), guys that play in the same position." he added.

Bradley says he has worked with Bernardeschi "to create ideas of" how he can make runs and occupy better positions that lead to goal-scoring chances.

"If you look at the season, he's still gotten the ball in many good spots. The numbers alone show that in those different moments, it hasn't been as good as it can be. So that's frustrating for him and that hurts the group. So you work through that, over and over. You continue to try to impress upon him the things that need to be better every day.

"And I'll never stop trying to do that — with him and with everyone else. But again are some of those things different than he's heard in the past? Maybe. But it seemed early on that in that regard that he saw some of those things."

I'm sorry, but why are you showing video clips of loving Vela and Salah instead of drawing up any loving useful tactics that get him the ball? Also make runs? He's a strong dude on the ball, he's not a rocket. WORK WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Someone good at art combine :tif: and :canada: tia

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So how will San Diego go about getting its team? I assume there will be an expansion draft?

Sorry, I am new

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

a neat cape posted:

So how will San Diego go about getting its team? I assume there will be an expansion draft?

Sorry, I am new

Probably. The expansion draft really needs to be done away with, but since they still haven't gotten rid of the regular mls draft, it's not going away any time soon.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

There will probably be an expansion draft. Here's the rules for the one St. Louis did last year. That's only 5 players though, the rest is up to the GM to scout for talent in lower leagues/overseas and make deals with other MLS squads for players.

One thing that helped St. Louis is that they fielded an MLS Next Pro (3rd tier) team a year prior to joining MLS, so they had a sizable number of players they could bring into the organization and get familiar with the system and staff prior to playing in the big leagues.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With allocation order having gone away, it's a simpler system for the offseason:

-Trade window
-Expansion draft goes here
-Free agency
-Re-Entry Process (where certain players who are either US nationals or players coming back to MLS)
-SuperDraft

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/1663674518160961536

Make The Galaxy Worth Hating Again

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

All those $24 tickets and beer packs must have finally hosed with the bottom line enough.

With the SGs back, the atmosphere should improve and, hopefully, that'll lend some goddamn unity to the team. That's probably the best I can hope for this season.

Please, for the love of god, hire a replacement who wants to actually run a sports team and not a brand.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pigma_Micron posted:

Please, for the love of god, hire a replacement who wants to actually run a sports team and not a brand.

*monkey paw curls, Galaxy re-hire Alexi Lalas*

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
good, that’d get him off TV and hopefully Twitter too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay, all the really good leagues are over. Time to watch MLS!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Yes, your LA Galaxy are back and are a perfect 1-0-0 in the post-Klein era.

Check back often to watch this team rocket their way to their inevitable 6th MLS cup this season!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Phil Neville got sacked. Dare Messi be hired to be player-manager?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I don't think that will be quite enough to lure him...

...player-manager-governor on the other hand...

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

In Toronto he could be player-manager-mayor

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

loving finally. My understanding is that he met revenue targets set by AEG and that was enough to keep extending him even after he masterminded the worst finish in club history in 2017 and got caught this past off season for literal cheating done in 2019. Not “the league bends the rules for the Galaxy” cheating, but actual off the book payments to Christian Pavon to avoid having to make him a DP cheating.

Guy absolutely destroyed the Galaxy as a competitive club in the league. Hopefully AEG hire someone to take over for him that actually cares about building a competent and competitive club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
this Hany Muktar fella seems pretty good at banging in game winning goals