Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
two weather cancellations week 1 then

like I know I shouldn't be SURPRISED, it's February in North America and this is why we play spring to fall to begin with, but it still feels surprising

shame though, was legit looking forward to the LA game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

binge crotching posted:

Heber is hurt and the Sounders are going to suck again now.

we've all seen this movie before, you aren't fooling anyone

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

All this happening the week before a home Trafico with the fanbase in open revolt, LAFC as defending champions and bodying teams left and right, and no other games that day so we can all watch?

:yeshaha:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The precisely one way in which we will be lucky this year.

I thought this year has a new gimmick: that rather than using recycled plastic the ugly uniforms will instead be entirely plastic free?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think that "as they expand they'll have more reason to consider pro/rel" is cope as long as they can keep regionalising the schedule using conferences and/or divisions, because that's always been the American answer to "we have too many teams to easily arrange this league" and there's really no reason to believe that will ever change, it's not like there's actually a rich hidden vein of people who would Absolutely Watch MLS If They Just Did Everything Like Europe -they're already watching the PL or CL, so thanks to the ratings those games get we can tell there actually aren't that many of them despite how loud they are Online.

Agree on the other arguments though, they're why I've always been on team Sure Why Not? If we're going to have a closed league let's have the biggest goddamn closed league we can.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Hello soccer men

I was expecting Vegas or Phoenix but welcome aboard for Our Dumb League

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

the 2 highest payrolls in the league are currently bottom of their respective conferences

As much as I want the cap to be simplified, I absolutely love the extent to which using the Beckham rule for actual Beckham signings is now a trap

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Steve Nash for Toronto FC coach imo, that dudes got game

unfortunately he part-owns another team

not that I blame you for forgetting this, most days I think he does too

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/1663674518160961536

Make The Galaxy Worth Hating Again

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it standard goalie practice to be that farr off the line? If I got chipped like that once, I would never come off my line again

Apparently Rooney is encouraging him to play that aggressively which, well, is a choice on both their parts.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are all of Messi's buddies going to play for peanuts?

unironically yes, and they'll still finish last

maybe they can have a DC Double as a treat

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

Laryea to Vancouver

This one came out of nowhere for me while I was F5ing for news about bringing back Adekugbe and also an obscure Nigerian CB we've been linked to all window

it's so weird to go into a deadline day thinking the team will actually do something

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Sweet goddamn jesus can we not hire gently caress ups that are in way above their head

open the article for a Big Surprise

(he isn't even the most in-over-his-head fuckup MLSE is understood to have been talking to!)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Smyrniotis would at least be interesting but in evaluating him I have trouble getting past the fact that Forge are basically the only CPL team with money so their threepeat is Not A Surprise

ie TFC should definitely hire him, perfect resume, no notes

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

News: Athletic now reporting that Herdman is the frontrunner for the TFC job

Views: does TFC have to pay the CSA some sort of compensation? Because they could certainly squander use the money

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

What I find a bit more interesting is that the victim is referred to in the statement by the league repeatedly as elle meaning the person who got punched was a woman and she isn't hurt but is considering pressing an assault charge.

That might just be that "victime", unlike many French feminine nouns referring to people, doesn't have a "masculine" equivalent that's used when referring to a person that is actually male - so an unidentified male victim could, as grammar goes, similarly be referred to as "la victime" and "elle".

Unfortunately I can't confirm anything about the underlying story but I'm not going to let that stop me from believing it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If all three of the tournaments between LMX and MLS have to continue to exist they should at least not have CCL/Campeones teams play in Leagues Cup

That's just too repetitive.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

:laffo: @ Messi being a "Newcomer"

He's absolutely new here, just be thankful that the voters weren't starstruck enough to pick him as MVP.

also, annual reminder that the votes are all already in and HQ already knows who won, "finalist" just means you were top 3.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, like maybe getting blown out by NYRB is what sealed the deal so they could have canned him immediately then, but the offseason is three months long? Anything before the playoffs end seems perfectly normal for "you didn't get fired midseason but actually, no, we don't want you around next year"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

c'mon you can't say something like that without posting it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

It's 100% transparently a screwjob.

lol come on

Nobody disputes he was in the ref locker room and he shouldn't have been there, if the refs' statements about aggressive tone or whatnot had been taken at face value the suspension would have been worse.

see, for example, my team's coach getting five games literally today for making a joke in a press conference about who would have been the prime suspect if the ref had been found in the river.

there's no conspiracy, Miazga is just a dumbass. Great defender (by MLS standards anyway), still a dumbass

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 30, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^
There's an athletic article with quotes from both Red bulls and FCC personnel saying everything that happened was totally routine. The refs union openly lied about several aspects of the investigation while the investigation was ongoing and one of the three parties that got to witness the evidence is also saying that the refs union is lying.

lying about what? That's kind of key and the PA statement very carefully does not say!

We might be reading different articles, because the main points of contention I've seen in the reporting are "was he acting aggressively?", or "was he forcibly removed by security, or did team staff come get him, or did he leave on his own", or "was he carrying a pizza or a burger when he was there", absolutely none of which are relevant to the fact that he shouldn't have been there at all

He'd already earned 1 game for the yellow card accumulation, then once he went down there to confront the refs at all instead of stewing in his locker room and then getting on the bus, he baked in at least the other two more regardless of who you believe about the rest of it.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 30, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

My question to you is why do you believe the refs union

My entire point is that it is not relevant who is lying or who to believe, because the parts that all parties agree on are bad enough to earn dude three games, which is why he got only 3 games instead of the 5 Sartini got for making a bad joke on video, or the 6 Dempsey got for ripping up the ref's notebook in the USOC

If you're Pat Noonan's burner account, feel free to put that league/ref screwjob narrative on your locker room clipboard before Saturday, but otherwise please actually read the things I am writing like "regardless of who you believe" or "if the refs had been taken at face value the punishment would have been worse" before asking that question

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

the escape goat posted:

the TA has to put our smoke bombs in special buckets and it can only be certain folks the FO gives the OK to for “safety reasons”. really is novel how different poo poo is in every stadium.

which I guess is why LAFC got fined and your lot haven't lately? If the bits I've read about the smoke delaying kickoff for 10-20m were actually true then, um, yeah that might be going a bit far

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 7, 2023