Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Is it done yet? I haven’t been since they started all that. Nice to know it’s louder there; still sounds cavernous on tv unfortunately .

It isn't done yet. There's only about 1/3rd or 1/4th of the total big screen up so far; when done it will stretch across the entire lighthouse end, plus some kind of "hospitality and function spaces" behind the big screen. Once that is done, the lighthouse end will be totally enclosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

barnold posted:

not true - the entire screen is up now and is very massive. there is still a lot of work to be done on the concourses and exterior, and the corner where the gates were has like half its seats removed, but they've made a lot of progress since the last time I was there earlier this month

Where is the rest of it? I didn't see this in daylight so maybe it is mostly done, but only a portion of the screen is done.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

barnold posted:

the new display is the entire black portion of that wall to the right of the existing screen. when I was there on 3/18 for the Revs against Nashville, it wasn't up and there was just the scaffolding visible, but now it is. it's just not turned on yet, probably because of all the construction they're still doing behind it

Yes, my bad. I had not seen it properly in daylight.

On the whole I haven't noticed any difference in crowd noise at Gillette since the new construction; however I sit in The Morgue, so it probably won't matter unless they fill up the lower bowl. I imagine that in The Fort itself, they get a nice bounce off of the new construction behind them trapping in the sound.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Of all the western cities that could get club #30, I would've gone with San Diego as my choice. Now, are they the Sockers or the Jaws?

The current iteration of the San Diego Sockers plays indoors in the MASL so that name isn't available.

I was going to suggest the San Diego Nomads, but they still exist as an amateur team.

I don't think there are any diehards holding out hope for a return of the San Diego Jaws.

If they are going for a Euro-style name please dear God do something original, no more FC or United.

Some names currently not in use in North American professional soccer that might work: Wanderers, Rovers, Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, Athletic.

Some more obscure/whimsical name suggestions: Academicals (Hamilton Academical FC), Skolars ("scholars" - London Skolars RLFC), Skeeters (Newark Skeeters, old ASL club).

Or you could go the all-American recursive nickame route (ie "Shelbyville Shelbyvillians"): the San Diego Saints (okay technically not quite recursive, but San and Saint mean the same thing).

I mean they could do a lot worse.

harperdc posted:

Welcome, let’s just hope you get unique branding and not the Chivas USA 2.0 treatment.

San Diego ManSports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansour_Group#ManSports

You heard it here first, folks. Get ready for the ManSports!

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 17, 2023

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they go something Naval/Maritime. San Diego Schooners. Ballast Point can be your sponsor. Call it a day.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

Bring back the Sockers name

It never really went away. The San Diego Sockers went indoors after the original NASL folded and have been playing indoors in various iterations since then.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like he picked the wrong week for Publix chicken tender subs.

https://arepublixchickentendersubsonsale.com/

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

E-mail from Revs ticket rep saying people should renew/get tickets for next year because MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI and maybe watch the Revs

It's going to be just like the Beckham at LAG era, at Gillette, when Inter Miami is visiting, only with fewer screaming teenage girls (I hope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

San Diego FC

Very predictable and disappointing.

If we're going to just use initials, why not try something soccer related but unused in MLS: AFC, SFC, AC, CSKA, AEK, etc.