Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Welcome to the 28th season of Major League Soccer

(kinda hard to bury the lede on this one)

In a little over 24 hours NYCFC and Nashville will kick a ball in anger at GEODIS Park to officially start the 2023 MLS season, which means one thing: somehow the league managed to not go bankrupt for yet another year, bucking tradition from other American soccer leagues. Not only is the league solvent, but it also managed to swindle negotiate a new streaming deal with Apple that will see the latter pay at least $250M/yr for 10 years...yeah, I can't believe it either. This deal resets the the broadcast strategy entirely: MLS Season Pass on AppleTV+ will have every game (in English, Spanish and French if a Canadian team is involved) with no blackouts worldwide, with a subset of those being free for AppleTV+ members (like all of this opening weekend) and weekly selection of free-as-in-beer games (supposedly). Some games throughout the year will be simulcast on FOX/FOX Sports while commercial viewing will be through DirecTV for Business in the US and the major telcos in Canada. This does mean all regional broadcast deals in the US are gone. Sucks for some markets, but on the whole it's probably a net positive that RSN deals are going away (see: Bally Sports' impending bankruptcy).

One positive from the new deal: kickoff times are more or less standardized to be Saturdays and Wednesdays at 7:30PM local, so no more wondering just when the hell is soccer happening.

One negative: the playoff format is changing yet a-goddamn-gain to expand the field and add a single best-of-3 round to add even more games for Apple to air. Ugh.

We've also got new stuff outside of the Apple deal. The 28th season will see the addition of the 29th team, The St. Louis Generic Names (which would be a better name than what they actually went with, prove me wrong). With their addition we have 15 teams in the East and 14 in the West, keeping the 34 game unbalanced-as-hell regular season setup leading to the aforementioned terrible playoffs.

And hey, let's cram some more games into this sonofabitch. During the August international window MLS and LigaMX will pause their regular seasons to compete in the revamped Leagues Cup, consisting of a 3 team group stage leading to a 32 team knockout bracket, with the two finalists earning CCL berths (with the winner going straight to the round of 16). A team could conceivably play 50+ games this calendar year between the 34 game regular season, playoffs, CCL, US Open Cup/Canadian Championship and Leagues Cup...fun.

Quick recap of the past year:

• LAFC won both the Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup (Dear Philly: loving MARK GARETH BALE YOU ASSHOLES)
  • Orlando City won the US Open Cup, spoiling Sacramento Republic's USL Cinderella story (but the MLS teams they beat along the way did provide some hilarity)
  • Seattle became the first MLS team to win the current iteration of the CONCACAF Champions League...and the first team to win the CCL and not make the playoffs in the same year due to everyone getting injured during/just after the CCL final. :smith: And they only got to play one game at the Club World Cup, losing 1-0 on a deflected goal. :smith::smith:
  • LAFC (SS Winner)/Philly (other conference winner)/Orlando (USOC)/Austin (next best MLS team since LAFC won MLS Cup)/Vancouver (Canadian Championship winner) will be MLS' representatives in the '23 CCL
  • Somehow we did not hit the bottom of the barrel regarding how lovely Portland's front office was last year, finally forcing Merritt Paulson's hands to fire two of the shitheads responsible and sell off the Thorns but he did not sell the Timbers or do anything about the biggest shithead involved (himself).
  • The Canadian teams finally got to play all their home games in Canada again :unsmith:
  • Cincy not only didn't earn a 4th straight Wooden Spoon, they actually made the playoffs and *won* a game :monocle:.
  • Shot, chaser.
  • Coaching vacancies seemed to be a game of musical chairs much more than usual. Luchi Gonzalez went from Dallas to San Jose. Ben Olsen ended his brief coaching sabbatical after leaving DC to go to Houston. Wilfried Nancy went from Montreal to Columbus. Hernan Losada went from DC to Montreal. And the New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music.
  • We got rid of one archaic roster mechanism from a bygone era, but the other eleventy are still in place.
  • The Galaxy were busted for violating roster rules...and the president responsible still got a contract extension, leading to open revolt from the fanbase that should be really fun to watch this season.

And with all of that out of the way, there's only one thing left to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV0UGXYwQh0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Streamable has a list of what games will be free-free on AppleTV during the first 3 weeks.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

At this rate the rate the only thing stopping him playing for every team is the league adding more teams faster than he move to:

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1629198533919223808

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

psyer posted:

There are no options at the moment to turn off spoilers on browsers or Android.

This and the fact that you can't watch multiple streams simultaneously via browser is completely and utterly baffling for a sports streaming service in TYOOL 2023.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like we'll have our first Disciplinary Committee suspension of the season shortly:

https://twitter.com/jimwilkie/status/1630066011067289600

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Until Apple gets their poo poo together, you can hide the scores in the browser with a bit of CSS and a plugin.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

This stuff is really infuriating because there's no excuse of this being their first foray into streaming sports since they started airing Friday Night Baseball last year. It seems like they learned not a goddamn thing from that.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We now have a schedule (minus kickoff times) for Leagues Cup.

Refresher on how it works

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hekk posted:

Minnesota United home opener is at 7:30pm tomorrow! Let's check in and see what the weather will be like...

loving Minnesota bullshit.

And there are people who unironically think we should have an August-May calendar.

Poonior Toilett posted:

i love how technically correct the "leagues" cup is

Don't worry, the winner will still be called "World Champion"

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1635126923100823552

:allears:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Don't worry OP, the only thing dumb about your question is Apple's UI. What Hekk said is correct, but I'll add this:

It's pretty much impossible to get to the full game replay and avoid any sort of spoilers, between scores being listed for each game (which can be turned off, but is an independent setting for each device and not at all possible if you're using a browser) and having to scroll past the list of highlights to get to it.

Did I mention Apple's UI is loving dumb?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Happy 27th anniversary everyone

https://twitter.com/SJEarthquakes/status/1644036493881769984

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

US Open Cup round of 32 draw where most of the MLS teams enter.

Please let Sporting KC lose to an amateur team at home :pray:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1644884650962108416

:allears:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

One of these statements is not like the other...

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1645573009439182848?s=20

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 11, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just watching your team lose a Cup to an OG in ET would be enough to warrant a lifetime of pessimism, nevermind all of Dallas' other lowlights and choke jobs.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Heads up: this weekend is when teams will be wearing the recycled plastic kits with terrible color schemes.

Vancouver are the lucky team to avoid wearing them.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I can't answer your question, but have some funny photos instead:

https://twitter.com/morgantencza/status/1653061143265460224

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Can anyone find a full list of free matches for the next month? The Mothership only lists two matches that aren't behind they paywall, both this weekend.

The site's viewing roundup for the weekend only lists 2 free games (and boy they look like some real winners), so maybe the free-ish ride is over now that we're two months in.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The first axe has been swung: Chicago Fire part ways with Ezra Hendrickson

edit: We got a two-fer, as The Red Bulls also axed Gerhard Struber this morning

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 8, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

MLSPA have update the salary guide for the start of the season

How the hell is Jozy still making $2+ million? :signings:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You'll fit right in then.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm sure it will be exactly like how Charlotte did it and they'll choose "San Diego SC" (I can already hear the "SD. SC." chant) and I will give them poo poo for it at every opportunity for picking such a :geno: name.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Someone good at art combine :tif: and :canada: tia

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

There will probably be an expansion draft. Here's the rules for the one St. Louis did last year. That's only 5 players though, the rest is up to the GM to scout for talent in lower leagues/overseas and make deals with other MLS squads for players.

One thing that helped St. Louis is that they fielded an MLS Next Pro (3rd tier) team a year prior to joining MLS, so they had a sizable number of players they could bring into the organization and get familiar with the system and staff prior to playing in the big leagues.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pigma_Micron posted:

Please, for the love of god, hire a replacement who wants to actually run a sports team and not a brand.

*monkey paw curls, Galaxy re-hire Alexi Lalas*

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I don't think that will be quite enough to lure him...

...player-manager-governor on the other hand...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

My normal stance of "don't believe any news about a signing until they kick a ball on the pitch while wearing the jersey" seems *incredibly* prudent right now.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Another Bill posted:

The Messi sweepstakes are over, but the Ronaldo sweepstakes have just begun!

I think it's going to be neck and neck between Ely State and High Desert State, but I'd be fine with him going to either.

Azerban posted:

fabrizio said here we go

its over

I will continue to remain skeptical since this deal getting reneged at the last minute would be incredibly on brand for MLS.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

What city could he put a team in that would offer Messi the largest variety of trains?

Looks like we're getting a third 2-team city

quote:

Chicago is North America's largest rail hub, and remains unsurpassed in the total number of passenger and freight trains that converge on any city on the continent. Chicago is a major hub for Amtrak, with 15 different lines terminating at the city's Union Station.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

In non-Messi news, :rip: Galaxy: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-striker-chicharito-suffers-knee-injury-in-us-open-cup-defeat

Reminder that they can't bring in anyone from overseas this summer due to league sanctions because their former GM was The loving Worst.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

God drat there was some bangers this past weekend...and absolutely zero need to have a poll because the winner is so blindingly obvious:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1668292041598435329

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

barnold posted:

36k at Gillette on saturday 👀 not sure if there was some kind of promotion going on

Yes, I believe the promotion was "Have Possibly the Greatest Soccer Player Ever Announce He's Intends to Play for Your Opponent Starting Next Month at the Earliest, If the Deal Actually Goes Through".

Really a masterstroke by the Revs.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Congratulations Jozy Altidore for a historical 2023 season, becoming (I think) the first player to have their contract bought out twice.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm watching the MLS Next Pro match between Seattle and KC right now (yeah yeah, sicko, etc.; it kills time before US-Mexico) and the AppleTV announcer pronouncing KC coach Benny Feilhaber's name as "File-hay-ber" is driving me up the goddamn well.

Dude played for the US in the World Cup ffs.

e: And somehow SKC2's keeper John Pulskamp saved a great opportunity from SKC2's Cam Duke while sitting in Tacoma's box and wearing a Tacoma jersey :cripes:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 16, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Rumors going around that Tata Martino will be Miami's new coach but I'd have to think after yesterday's performance FMF is furiously trying to get him to come back to Mexico. And if I were Tata I'd run as fast as possible in the opposite direction of that shitshow.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

...about that...

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1670226056870260742

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think Mukhtar has a future in this league...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Bye bye Bob

e: I would not have guessed his tenure was (relatively) that high, goddamn:

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1673331484726312960

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh yeah, there's an All-Star Game happening somewhat soon and I guess we need some players to actually play in it.

Garber showed amazing constraint in not using one of his two picks on Messi.