Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

All those $24 tickets and beer packs must have finally hosed with the bottom line enough.

With the SGs back, the atmosphere should improve and, hopefully, that'll lend some goddamn unity to the team. That's probably the best I can hope for this season.

Please, for the love of god, hire a replacement who wants to actually run a sports team and not a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Yes, your LA Galaxy are back and are a perfect 1-0-0 in the post-Klein era.

Check back often to watch this team rocket their way to their inevitable 6th MLS cup this season!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

loving finally. My understanding is that he met revenue targets set by AEG and that was enough to keep extending him even after he masterminded the worst finish in club history in 2017 and got caught this past off season for literal cheating done in 2019. Not “the league bends the rules for the Galaxy” cheating, but actual off the book payments to Christian Pavon to avoid having to make him a DP cheating.

Guy absolutely destroyed the Galaxy as a competitive club in the league. Hopefully AEG hire someone to take over for him that actually cares about building a competent and competitive club.

I'm not exactly holding my breath on that, but I am hoping that Beckerman has realized that the team has to be good to make money and to be good things need to change.

In that one Klein letter where he said that Vanney would "build out soccer operations" had me absolutely incandescent with rage because what the gently caress were they doing before? It's clear that the team has very little support staff outside of medical (and I wouldn't be surprised if that was pretty bare-bones too. And... ugh, probably a lot of herbalife nonsense) and it's been hurting the team terribly while other teams continue to grow.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Moktaro posted:

Wait, you're telling me the group who ran the Rapids as an inroad to getting an entertainment venue valued revenue over results at Galaxy? hosed up if true.

I'm sure *every* team values revenue over results. The trouble here is that they thought they could trade on past successes... I guess forever and made the team an embarrassment.

I can't believe they crazy bastards did it. I can't wait to find out that it ended up being worth a billion dollars for him or something.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

My normal stance of "don't believe any news about a signing until they kick a ball on the pitch while wearing the jersey" seems *incredibly* prudent right now.

Normally, I'm with you, but it seems to be independently verified.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65832658

https://theathletic.com/4587862/2023/06/06/lionel-messi-inter-miami-barcelona/?access_token=7133003&redirected=1
(This one requires a subscription and doesn't say that it's a done deal, but it's from last night and I like The Athletic because they don't report on rumor.)

And then a bunch of articles list a handful of tweets from different people all saying they got it from their own sources.

This one feels real to me.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

In non-Messi news, :rip: Galaxy: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-striker-chicharito-suffers-knee-injury-in-us-open-cup-defeat

Reminder that they can't bring in anyone from overseas this summer due to league sanctions because their former GM was The loving Worst.

Welp... I guess Puig is going to have to start passing to Jovelic.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Oh, christ.

The Galaxy need a striker.

Please dear god no.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Bye bye Bob

e: I would not have guessed his tenure was (relatively) that high, goddamn:

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1673331484726312960

Not terribly surprising. I'm sure he'll land somewhere.

Total side note: While this has nothing to do with his coaching chops, I always thought Terry Dunfield was super underrated. Exactly the kind of industrious midfielder we, as hard-working Americans, are supposed to appreciate. He deserved to be on a better team in the early '10s.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

The rest of this article really goes to show how having an OTA broadcast partner helped the Sounders get to where they are. The apple deal is manna from heaven to me because trying to see every Galaxy game was a cobbled mess of nonsense (especially when I was actually living in LA). But, I can see how Seattle fans got used to being able to tune into King or Kong and just being done with it (though, I think that may have been a truly unique scenario compared to the rest of the league).

I totally feel the timeslot thing, though. I'm happy with consistent times but, jesus, they don't have to be *this* consistent.

That said, I'm glad to see that pretty much everything leaking out of the operation seems to be positive. I'm sure it's got more than its fair share of bullshit behind the scenes but, it seems to be successful so far.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Jesus, they're genuinely difficult to look at:
https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/captain-america-themed-tops-unveiled-in-super-hero-inspired-collection

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

"We'd like to introduce San Diego FC! Here's our all-white home kit and the all-blue away kit! We chose them because everyone said they liked them so they're awesome!"

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I'm not sure if here or the MDT is the best place for this, but I'm oddly hyped for the skill challenge tonight. I haven't been able to catch it before and it's exactly the kind of silliness I'm into.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 18, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

As somebody who's been complaining about the Galaxy FO for, jesus, too long now: I loving knew it.

Some money quotes:

The Athletic posted:

“At some point I had the feeling that my influence and impact wasn’t what I thought it should be,” te Kloese said. “I had long talks with ownership and Chris Klein, it was always friendly — I’m honestly appreciative of being able to work there — but I needed to have a definite impact.”

“I think certain authorities lay with the general manager,” te Kloese added. “In the last season I worked there, it wasn’t that clear. You end up in a lot of gray areas — who’s responsible for who, who brings in what players, what kind of playing style. It wasn’t clear enough.”

The Athletic posted:

The Galaxy returned to the playoffs in 2022 with their best season since 2019. Te Kloese was on his way to the title in the Netherlands.

“In the last few months with the Galaxy, I definitely thought with how the organization was being run and who has the authority, you can’t be held responsible for something if you’re not fully responsible (for the decisions),” te Kloese said. “They chose a different model. Everybody can judge by themselves how that went.”

The "not enough but, somehow, too many cooks" thing that seemed to plague The Galaxy's roster building I think is on full display here. I never thought much of te Klose when he was with LA (he did hire Schelotto, after all), but I think he confirms a lot of my suspicions here. Namely: Klein and Kirovski made way too many decisions based on... I guess their guts? Sure, it worked for Arena but, he's gone now and you guys are no Bruce Arena. Maybe, MAYBE if they get somebody good to replace Klein and maybe, MAYBE if Vanney can "build out the soccer operations", there's a bright(-er? -ish?) future for the team.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 19, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

why would someone that insanely rich and famous be doing their own grocery shopping? I assume he has a security detail

I know a lot of soccer stars have mentioned how much they like being able to take vacations in the US and not get hounded. It's entirely possible Messi has taken a vacation there before and has been able to lay low.

Normalcy can feel good.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I'll edit when the non-paywalled sources get to it but...

Diego Fagundez to the Galaxy for Memo Rodrigues and 300k GAM and up to 900k GAM (I assume there's performance targets or something).

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Naturally, LA was always going to have to pay through the nose for anyone in a position of need, like winger, but I still feel like it'll end up being a bad trade.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

edit: Officially official. LA could get up to another 150k GAM if Memo hits performance metrics. ATX gets up to 600k if Fagundez does.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

The Galaxy have been real busy:

Maya Yoshida (CB most recently with Schalke) official
Michael Barrios (we all know him as an "eh" journeyman MLS striker) official
and Bogert is reporting (LA has made it official) Edwin Cerrillo (D-mid from FCD's academy).

All for... honestly, not terrible prices. Considering the circumstances, I'm actually pretty impressed.

edit: Also, Puig is probably on his way out. End of the year, for sure, but, maybe earlier.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 3, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Nybble posted:

How is it that we still have no idea what’s up with Bruce Arena

Because he probably didn't simply do a racism so the league can't just fine him and make him pinky-swear to never do it again.

If lawyers or even cops are involved, everyone absolutely should be shutting up.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Mid-season firing #6 as the Rapids axe Fraser

:geno:

One day, with ANY luck at all, that brilliant man will get to work for an organization that knows what the gently caress it's doing.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

As usual, El Trafico is proving to be incredibly stressful for fans and, I'd imagine, a delightful chaos festival for neutrals.

Edit: the game and the galaxy's playoff hopes are extremely over.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 17, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

Mavinga is so bad man. We were looking like we could get outta there with a tie till he played that horrible back pass.

I want to calculate how many points he and Bond have cost us this season, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Florida man becomes professional athlete, registers as amateur under an assumed name, assaults amateur athlete, loses professional contract.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

In the words of our fearless head coach, the Galaxy have been "put out of our misery."

Rousing stuff.

Honestly, there HAS been a lot of bad luck but, c'mon, did it ever really look like the team would do well this year? The best I can hope for is that we keep our good players.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

The Chicarito era is over.

Some good times, lots of bad.

So, the Galaxy have two open DP slots. I'd say "don't gently caress it up" but I think we all know they're going to gently caress up at least one of them.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Nybble posted:

It reminds me of the original Washington Spirit owner who had the logistics company he owned on the shirt forever. Which makes a some sense in your first year of a startup women’s league with a team salary cap lower than some computer toucher’s salary.

But for a team like the Timbers? In a league like MLS with Apple paying billions to air and promote it? There wasn’t anyone? MP is broke broke.

Yeah, there may be blood in the water and, hopefully, the TA smells it.

A boycott may get it over the line.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Year-end award winners:

MVP: Luciano Acosta (CIN)

Goal: Luciano Acosta (CIN) vs. Charlotte, Sept 23

After everything he's been through with DC and then Cincy (while being clearly an awesome player every step of the way), I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of organized sport has deserved a championship more than Lucho.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

c'mon you can't say something like that without posting it

Well, they're straight up saying PRO is lying. Which... frankly I doubt. There's probably just an exaggeration somewhere.

So if he went after the refs once the game was over, which nobody seems to dispute, gently caress him. Throw the book at him. I'm tired of fines and then nothing happens.

Remember back when they started sending people off for mass confrontations of the ref? It actually fixed a lot of the problem. It seems to have (mostly) left the player culture.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I would still like to know what the gently caress Bruce did to completely collapse the Revs season and organization

I simply have to assume it's one of the big two: A big gamer word clusterwhoops or sexual assault.

Obviously I don't know the man but, both seem plausible and his statement (and the rest of the team's silence) feels like one of those.

If someone with insider knowledge came to me and knew FOR SURE that is wasn't something like that.... Iunno, he told Johnathan Kraft to go gently caress himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Ah, the 3252 finally found out after loving around on Saturday.

What a shame, so anyway

I can't wait to see the commercial Apple TV cuts using the footage of the offending flares.