Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

As someone who used to switch between 5 different streams at once on the old mls live service looking for cool moments in games, I gotta say I love MLS 360.

My only complaint is that there are too many ad breaks, but other than that I love it. Having a broadcast that immediately switches over to a game as soon as a goal is scored or something else noteworthy happens helps to bring into focus how much exciting stuff happens across an MLS match day.

For example I think they had the late match goals from DC United to win 3–2 against Toronto immediately followed by Thiago Almada’s two stoppage time bangers to win it for Atlanta. That was then followed a bit later by that poor Austin center back doing the worst back pass in MLS history to give a goal to St Louis.

And to top it all off the picture quality is light years better than anything that ESPN or Fox Sports produced when they were the broadcasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

They should honestly just get rid of the actual game if it isn’t gonna be an east vs west thing and replace it with more goofy skills challenges stuff.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

On the bright side if we miss the playoffs yet again Klein will supposedly step down. Which is great cause the biggest Galaxy supporter group decided to knife the rest in the back by unilaterally deciding to end the boycott and return to the stands when it was clear there were cracks starting to form in the front office over it.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

loving finally. My understanding is that he met revenue targets set by AEG and that was enough to keep extending him even after he masterminded the worst finish in club history in 2017 and got caught this past off season for literal cheating done in 2019. Not “the league bends the rules for the Galaxy” cheating, but actual off the book payments to Christian Pavon to avoid having to make him a DP cheating.

Guy absolutely destroyed the Galaxy as a competitive club in the league. Hopefully AEG hire someone to take over for him that actually cares about building a competent and competitive club.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

It happened to Tyler Miller again! Zlatan did that to him in the first El Trafico.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

As somebody who's been complaining about the Galaxy FO for, jesus, too long now: I loving knew it.

Some money quotes:

The "not enough but, somehow, too many cooks" thing that seemed to plague The Galaxy's roster building I think is on full display here. I never thought much of te Klose when he was with LA (he did hire Schelotto, after all), but I think he confirms a lot of my suspicions here. Namely: Klein and Kirovski made way too many decisions based on... I guess their guts? Sure, it worked for Arena but, he's gone now and you guys are no Bruce Arena. Maybe, MAYBE if they get somebody good to replace Klein and maybe, MAYBE if Vanney can "build out the soccer operations", there's a bright(-er? -ish?) future for the team.

He hits the nail on the head of what was going on with the Klein admin when he say said:

"“I think certain authorities lay with the general manager,” te Kloese added. “In the last season I worked there, it wasn’t that clear. You end up in a lot of gray areas — who’s responsible for who, who brings in what players, what kind of playing style. It wasn’t clear enough.”

Basically I'm pretty sure Klein avoided clearly delineating roles and responsibilities in his FO so that when poo poo went bad, as it often did after Bruce left in 2016, neither he nor his people (mainly Kirovski) could ever be blamed for it since no one could tell who was doing what.

Anyway, I participated in the boycott and I'm thrilled it worked. I'm pretty sure this season is already a wash and we won't make the playoffs due to the first 2/3rds of it being catastrophically bad. That said Klein getting fired, us going on a long unbeaten streak, and then beating LAFC at the Rose Bowl in front of 85,000 really made it feel like the club, the players, and the supporters have all exercised some demons.

We've signed some actually good players to keep building around in Puig, Caligari, Neal, Aude, and hell even Costa has been fantastic since Klein got canned. I'm actually hopeful about the future of the club for the first time in years. The one caveat is that AEG needs to hire someone to run the club for whom winning is the first priority, and not trying to boost profits with ill thought out signings that only expose that the FO has no plan for the team and only contempt for the fanbase.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2023

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Is there even a point playing against Inter Miami now? As soon as Messi showed up they became completely invincible, although considering they were nothing before he came I suspect they'll lose badly the second they can't use him. And do all the other teams just not have anyone who's any good?

Messi is the obvious biggest difference maker, but Tata is a massive upgrade over Phil Neville as manager. Also if Sergio and Alba can stay healthy they are also massive upgrades to the team to say the least.

I think if they continue to recruit smartly (Farias looks like a great signing) and their Barcelona trio all stay healthy next year they will have to be the favorites for the cup next year. Hell, it’s not impossible they sneak into the playoffs and win it this year.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

As usual, El Trafico is proving to be incredibly stressful for fans and, I'd imagine, a delightful chaos festival for neutrals.

Edit: the game and the galaxy's playoff hopes are extremely over.

Mavinga is so bad man. We were looking like we could get outta there with a tie till he played that horrible back pass.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

binge crotching posted:

The galaxy can't even do the rest of the league a favor by beating chivas

To be fair we beat them at the much more high profile much more viewed Rose Bowl game. That had their fan base incredibly mad for a few weeks. Good times has by all.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

In the words of our fearless head coach, the Galaxy have been "put out of our misery."

Rousing stuff.

Honestly, there HAS been a lot of bad luck but, c'mon, did it ever really look like the team would do well this year? The best I can hope for is that we keep our good players.

I’m torn on Vanney. I was deeply unimpressed with him as a manager this year, but the team was utterly destroyed by injury with at least 6 starters out for the season and a bunch of other guys out with injury for the playoff push.

Part of me thinks he should go, but another part of me thinks he should get a shot at running a team next year that isn’t built under the presidency of Chris Klein.

I think our summer transfer window was pretty solid given we could not sign anyone who required a transfer slip. And none of them were signed to contracts that will hamstring us going into next year’s rebuild. I have to put that to Klein’s dumbass not being there to demand we sign another washed guy to a 4 year DP contract. So hopefully the folks currently running recruitment can start steering the club in the right direction now that Klein is out of the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Has the Timbers Army ever collectively stopped going to games?

Galaxy supporters groups did it this season and it was the thing that finally got rid of our fail club president Chris Klein, who had just received another multi-year extension despite a near decade of failing.

As long as fans are showing up and buying tickets, merch, and concessions with the kind of consistency it would appear the TA are doing I imagine ownership will be perfectly happy letting them hang whatever banners or sing whatever chants they want.