Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Slavoj is wearing mostly fur. To his right, on the floor, is the headpiece of a dog costume, which is upturned and rather pungent.

Slavoj’s face is a blinking slab of clay looking out through thickets of drenched grey hair. His mouth is moving rapidly, but he has not spoken in several minutes. His immense mind is swelling palpably.

At some point, a sound like a stalled car engine echoes through the elevator, and the whole scene slips down several feet. One of the men in the corner screams. Slavoj, in a kind of perversely hygienic zen state, is unperturbed. The intercom crackles and buzzes, then clicks off. A set of emergency strip lights perks up.

One of the smartly dressed people steps cautiously toward the center of the elevator to try and peer through the doors. Slavoj quickly grabs the man with one paw and his own nose with the other. “Birds,” he spits.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Zizek is cool

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Zizek has 4 books on his own interpretation of the new testament and Jesus Christ that's mostly lifted from Chesterton & I have read them

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Zizek is not a marxist tho, he likes Hegel and so he has to mention Marx & he took marx's note of a materialist basis for hegel which basically anybody today has to do to be taken seriously

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
NERD

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Hegel Kant Liebnitz and even like Einstein didn't have much impact on the anglosphere's fundamental world view,

which in turn dominated the world and established liberal capitalism (the anglo-protestent mode of production) as basically unopposed. mechanical, A=A, neutral background, equilibrium theory bullshit

and I like reading zizek cause I can see some thinking which somehow isn't possible in that context (due to his balkan upbringing & interests)

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

:hmbol:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i agree with and stand by my good friend red and black, regarding zizek

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i agree with and stand by my good friend red and black, regarding zizek

:hfive:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oh yes, BHL, the smartest man in France according to the same people who were telling you that Elon Musk was the smartest guy in the US a few years back, should be killed according to another "smartest man". "Smartest man" is starting to sound like an insult. Come'on be smarty, join the liberal party.

Still calling BHL a "void" is pretty spot on. In France, he is considered a "salon philosopher", a man who wear the costume of a philosopher to gently caress older richer ladies and make some money. Also push anti-communist rhetoric on every tv channel.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Antonymous posted:

Hegel Kant Liebnitz and even like Einstein didn't have much impact on the anglosphere's fundamental world view,

which in turn dominated the world and established liberal capitalism (the anglo-protestent mode of production) as basically unopposed. mechanical, A=A, neutral background, equilibrium theory bullshit

Sucks that this is true

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

lol

also isn't this guy dead or is he still dual wielding dogs

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol

also isn't this guy dead or is he still dual wielding dogs

Na, he's always looked like poo poo. What lacan does to a mfer

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

During early covid I saw him being interviewed over zoom for jacobin, he was lying in bed with a laptop on his belly. It bounced all over the place as he talked so it looked like an earthquake

Love him

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

no you're right i take it back. me and the boys down at the factory were about to unionize until we all read the article in a magazine with a total readership of two about how unions were the worst thing in history by which i mean that is to say in the lacanian examination no let me go back further you see looking at you see when I was a boy in slovenia you know you know and this you see you had to join the army or, you see when you were in the army, yes, you would meet your friends and so forth together at times and you would say you know you would say very perverse things I will suck you and so on and you see so

stfu

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Thos pouty lips...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

no you're right i take it back. me and the boys down at the factory were about to unionize until we all read the article in a magazine with a total readership of two about how unions were the worst thing in history by which i mean that is to say in the lacanian examination no let me go back further you see looking at you see when I was a boy in slovenia you know you know and this you see you had to join the army or, you see when you were in the army, yes, you would meet your friends and so forth together at times and you would say you know you would say very perverse things I will suck you and so on and you see so

this is a mind on crack ping

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Antonymous posted:

and I like reading zizek cause I can see some thinking which somehow isn't possible in that context (due to his balkan upbringing & interests)

So here’s the opportunity.

mainline protestant theology, yer Episcopalians, ELCA Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, UCC that group.

whole lotta Hegelian thought there. Barth and neo-orthodoxy that’s dialectic theology, Hegelian basically. a whole lotta these denominations what you find if you look seriously at the theology is structurally identical ontologically inverted. to a materialist Hegelian.

take something like “Nothing cannot be said to exist” that’s structurally identical ontologically inverted to “God cannot be said to be.”

and this is because :Hegel . so if you have a materialist Hegelian and an idealist Hegelian with structurally identical beliefs…

does the idealist / materialist difference the ontological inversion matter?

no it does not. it means that a materialist Marxist Hegelians could be talking to religious folks, using symbols they already participate in, about things they already believe and have internalized that they rather literally go affirm and repeat weekly in church on Sundays….

but they mostly just don’t.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's Zizek up to lately is he ok

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

net work error posted:

no he's a lib

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

i've no idea what Zizek means basically ever, my brain wrinkles are just not aligned with his at all, it's completely unintelligible to me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tazjin posted:

i've no idea what Zizek means basically ever, my brain wrinkles are just not aligned with his at all, it's completely unintelligible to me

he doesn’t want you to understand, he wants you to sit around not doing anything useful because he’s a lib wrecker

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

tazjin posted:

yeah, that's good. you really aren't supposed to because it's mostly nonsense. best case scenario, he's a walking joker mode stewie griffin politics thread or something like that. pretty sure he's serious about too much of the wack poo poo he says though. what western philosophy does to a motherfucker who read some theory

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

fart simpson posted:

he doesn’t want you to understand, he wants you to sit around not doing anything useful because he’s a lib wrecker

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

fart simpson posted:

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Hey everybody, I got this can of Diet Coke and I'm gonna spend the afternoon pontificating the absence of intrinsic value provided by a soft drink

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Hey everybody, I got this can of Diet Coke and I'm gonna spend the afternoon pontificating the absence of intrinsic value provided by a soft drink

this but mug rootbeer

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

he's decided that the west is right about everything actually, go home, nothing to see here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

slavoj peepoop