Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EEKA GEEK posted:

Regarding Crimea- a bit of interesting history in that peninsula. It was part of Russia proper until 1954 at which point it was administered to the Ukraine by the USSR. After 1991 they actually voted to join Russia, to which Ukraine said “nah”- thankfully, for whatever reason, Russia’s annexation in 2014 was not seen as worth starting a nuclear war over (even if Ukraine ended up cutting off water for irrigation to Crimea as a punitive measure for acquiescing to Russia, whom like those in the DPR and LNR, they felt a stronger connection to).

Ukraine at large after 1991 and until 2014, Russia pretty much left to its own devices as it could barely manage its own internal affairs following the controlled demolition of communism. For all the supposed incompetence of the Russian intelligence apparatus, they really did make a huge blunder by not at least monitoring events in the neighbouring countries, never mind influencing them. As long as Russia went along with the west’s economic interests there was little overt militaristic antagonism from them, and thus no apparent urgency for Russia in setting up a defensive posture in the post-Soviet sphere. One consequence of this laissez faire attitude towards its former co-states was the unchecked rise of extremist nationalist elements like for example Azov. While every country has its own small contingent of racists, most people do not hold those sentiments and Ukraine is no different. However the worst elements of those nationalists began causing harm to Ukrainians who still closely identified with Russian culture, language, and heritage- thus Russia began its belated and heavy-handed response to drive out the (now armed) nationalists who’s goals had metamorphosed from independence to violence.

Now we find out from the leaders of the day that the peace agreements they brokered were apparently not done in good faith- that is, the goal was always to buy time for Ukraine to get strong enough to fight and defeat Russia singlehandedly. It seems that Putin chose to attack when he did to pre empt the possibility of a soft entry for Ukraine into nato and the EU- a chance that would be lost once Ukraine gained the protection of the former, his own army’s readiness be damned. But it crystallized the conflict early on in that these accessions are not possible now, and possibly not even if the conflict ends- at least not without very unfavourable terms for the people of Ukraine. All this “aid”, lethal or otherwise, comes with huge strings attached that will be ruinous not just in the immediate aftermath but for the foreseeable future. The ultimate goal for the west is not to help the people of Ukraine, but to hobble the people of Russia- in this so called great humanitarian crusade, the primary help we’re sending is stuff that’s only job is to hurt and kill humans. That’s the part that makes me sick, so you’ll hear no cheering from me regardless of who “wins”.

So yeah, I try to avoid cherry picking for sure

Wow, that's a lot of words to spend on being absolutely wrong about every single thing in the history of the conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

not allowing GBS to talk about anything is a contradiction in terms

if i wanted to say post a thread about having sex with cars, i mean not that i have or would haha, but i mean i could post a thread about it

shut up nerd

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

EEKA GEEK posted:

Regarding Crimea- a bit of interesting history in that peninsula. It was part of Russia proper until 1954 at which point it was administered to the Ukraine by the USSR. After 1991 they actually voted to join Russia, to which Ukraine said “nah”- thankfully, for whatever reason, Russia’s annexation in 2014 was not seen as worth starting a nuclear war over (even if Ukraine ended up cutting off water for irrigation to Crimea as a punitive measure for acquiescing to Russia, whom like those in the DPR and LNR, they felt a stronger connection to).

Ukraine at large after 1991 and until 2014, Russia pretty much left to its own devices as it could barely manage its own internal affairs following the controlled demolition of communism. For all the supposed incompetence of the Russian intelligence apparatus, they really did make a huge blunder by not at least monitoring events in the neighbouring countries, never mind influencing them. As long as Russia went along with the west’s economic interests there was little overt militaristic antagonism from them, and thus no apparent urgency for Russia in setting up a defensive posture in the post-Soviet sphere. One consequence of this laissez faire attitude towards its former co-states was the unchecked rise of extremist nationalist elements like for example Azov. While every country has its own small contingent of racists, most people do not hold those sentiments and Ukraine is no different. However the worst elements of those nationalists began causing harm to Ukrainians who still closely identified with Russian culture, language, and heritage- thus Russia began its belated and heavy-handed response to drive out the (now armed) nationalists who’s goals had metamorphosed from independence to violence.

Now we find out from the leaders of the day that the peace agreements they brokered were apparently not done in good faith- that is, the goal was always to buy time for Ukraine to get strong enough to fight and defeat Russia singlehandedly. It seems that Putin chose to attack when he did to pre empt the possibility of a soft entry for Ukraine into nato and the EU- a chance that would be lost once Ukraine gained the protection of the former, his own army’s readiness be damned. But it crystallized the conflict early on in that these accessions are not possible now, and possibly not even if the conflict ends- at least not without very unfavourable terms for the people of Ukraine. All this “aid”, lethal or otherwise, comes with huge strings attached that will be ruinous not just in the immediate aftermath but for the foreseeable future. The ultimate goal for the west is not to help the people of Ukraine, but to hobble the people of Russia- in this so called great humanitarian crusade, the primary help we’re sending is stuff that’s only job is to hurt and kill humans. That’s the part that makes me sick, so you’ll hear no cheering from me regardless of who “wins”.

I don’t understand why this guy isn’t posting about loving cars.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

What are your favorite recipes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Karma Comedian posted:

Flygande Jakob

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Canada has been on a high horse for too long and I'm still mad as poo poo about 1812 this is now the invade Canada thread.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Arguing about Ukraine is really kind of off-topic for the thread, and your post looks like bait. Don't do this again.

Oh right sorry I forgot you guys aren't allowed to talk about this. :mmmsmug:

Anyone see the Venus/Jupiter conjunction? Usually it's pretty cloudy and I miss out on celestial events but for this one I had a front row seat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Karma Comedian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDqKypL-C-4

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 4, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Karma Comedian posted:

Eggs Benny has been something I've been working on for a few months. And good hollandaise.

Also I'm kind of weak on the steak cooking department so I've been working on that aswell.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Karma Comedian posted:

I'd share a nice pierogi recipe but the goddamn mods would close the thread

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Icochet posted:

Post anyway you coward

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Icochet posted:

I think posting Russian dishes is still okay

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Borch is delicious

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

RDM posted:

Post anyway you coward

I'll try to make it admin-friendly

1) make a dough of rye flour, wheat flour, water
2) roll dough into a thin small disc
3) check both sides of the disc
4) conclude that both sides are equally bad
5) give up

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Icochet posted:

5) give up

Close thread

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Treecko posted:

Borch [sic] is delicious

Borscht** :eng101:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

EEKA GEEK posted:

this is very interesting, but you should probably post this in the CSPAM ukraine/russia thread instead.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

this is very interesting, but you should probably post this in the CSPAM ukraine/russia thread instead.

wait a tick! there is still a c-spam?

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Heard Bs puny student loan thing is before the courts. Whats the word?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

nom epique posted:

Coming any day now

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

nom epique posted:

working on it

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Karma Comedian posted:

Sweet & Sour <meat> is something I am "good" at lately.

Pork is good but chicken seems to be better at soaking up the flavour so that's preferable. But chicken is stupidly versatile so I'm not surprised.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Icochet posted:

5) give up
I tried but one side was morally superior to the other side. After careful consideration, what about ravioli, aren't they worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Load bearing news articles