Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Smugworth posted:

I'm mad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Haven't seen a Chinatown post in 24 hours.

Sad stuff. Seriously already miss the guy. Like that s is the first Perma if actually been witness to like as the story is developing and now the man is gone. 😥 Like what the gently caress is this community becoming. I saw D&D lose a majority of it's middle east posters to Perma waves, volkerball disappear, and overall more and more people are just disappearing and abandoning the community that has stood as a part of their lives for over a decade.

I really don't even know what I'd do without SA. I have no other online presence what so ever. My friends lists are all empty. I don't play any games that require me to communicate with others because I don't want to connect with any others online. Not because I'm lonely, I have a social circle in the reals but I just get too involved in online. But seriously man this community is it for me.

You and I might not have always gotten along, but I wanted to let you know I appreciate this post.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EEKA GEEK posted:

Regarding Crimea- a bit of interesting history in that peninsula. It was part of Russia proper until 1954 at which point it was administered to the Ukraine by the USSR. After 1991 they actually voted to join Russia, to which Ukraine said “nah”- thankfully, for whatever reason, Russia’s annexation in 2014 was not seen as worth starting a nuclear war over (even if Ukraine ended up cutting off water for irrigation to Crimea as a punitive measure for acquiescing to Russia, whom like those in the DPR and LNR, they felt a stronger connection to).

Ukraine at large after 1991 and until 2014, Russia pretty much left to its own devices as it could barely manage its own internal affairs following the controlled demolition of communism. For all the supposed incompetence of the Russian intelligence apparatus, they really did make a huge blunder by not at least monitoring events in the neighbouring countries, never mind influencing them. As long as Russia went along with the west’s economic interests there was little overt militaristic antagonism from them, and thus no apparent urgency for Russia in setting up a defensive posture in the post-Soviet sphere. One consequence of this laissez faire attitude towards its former co-states was the unchecked rise of extremist nationalist elements like for example Azov. While every country has its own small contingent of racists, most people do not hold those sentiments and Ukraine is no different. However the worst elements of those nationalists began causing harm to Ukrainians who still closely identified with Russian culture, language, and heritage- thus Russia began its belated and heavy-handed response to drive out the (now armed) nationalists who’s goals had metamorphosed from independence to violence.

Now we find out from the leaders of the day that the peace agreements they brokered were apparently not done in good faith- that is, the goal was always to buy time for Ukraine to get strong enough to fight and defeat Russia singlehandedly. It seems that Putin chose to attack when he did to pre empt the possibility of a soft entry for Ukraine into nato and the EU- a chance that would be lost once Ukraine gained the protection of the former, his own army’s readiness be damned. But it crystallized the conflict early on in that these accessions are not possible now, and possibly not even if the conflict ends- at least not without very unfavourable terms for the people of Ukraine. All this “aid”, lethal or otherwise, comes with huge strings attached that will be ruinous not just in the immediate aftermath but for the foreseeable future. The ultimate goal for the west is not to help the people of Ukraine, but to hobble the people of Russia- in this so called great humanitarian crusade, the primary help we’re sending is stuff that’s only job is to hurt and kill humans. That’s the part that makes me sick, so you’ll hear no cheering from me regardless of who “wins”.

So yeah, I try to avoid cherry picking for sure

Arguing about Ukraine is really kind of off-topic for the thread, and your post looks like bait. Don't do this again.