Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will happen in the next ten years of heavyweight mixed martial arts?
This poll is closed.
Francis Ngannou will return to the UFC, the lineage will be restored, and normalcy will resume 1 5.56%
Francis Ngannou will spark a golden age of international heavyweight MMA 0 0%
Jon Jones vs Ciryl Gane never takes place and the UFC's new lineage collapses before it starts 5 27.78%
The UFC's new lineage remains and three of the next four champions will come from the Contender Series 6 33.33%
Scott Coker will hold at least four more heavyweight grand prix tournaments 5 27.78%
Give the thread your dread prediction 1 5.56%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Maigius posted:

What would it take for Heavyweight to lose some of its reputation as Trashweight? A consistent lineage of champions? More interesting fights? A clear out of aging has-beens?

some of it is 100% inherent since the mechanics of fighting kinda break down when the dudes become so large and end up in situations like brock lesnar, the most athletic white man ever bred on a farm, being literally stuck underneath another giant guy taking punches because he's too big to move his body.

but most of it is because there's comparatively no money in MMA compared to other sports. if there was more money we'd get better athletes. the fighters who are around now would have to stop being fat and lazy and get into shape or get washed out of the ufc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah really sick thread.

the strikeforce grand prix was dumb but it was also pretty awesome.

it was at the peak of this forum's reem mania so we were all making GBS threads our pants when he fought brett rogers (and demolished him). in the werdum fight we saw hints of both werdum's burgeoning confidence on the feet (because he was kinda loving overeem up) and overeem failing to realise that he didn't have K1 gloves on any more and he can't just cover up (which was to become a regular feature of his career).

bigfoot vs fedor was hilarious coming off the heels of werdum's win being discounted by fedor stans as a fluke. fedor got absolutely demolished by one of the shittiest "top" heavyweights ever because big. also some top notch copes from fedor's team in the aftermath, blaming a warlock in the audience for draining fedor's energy. lol.

dc vs. barnett is an underrated fight too, it's one of DC's best imo, and it was before he got old and plugged into the UFC machine. before jones taught him the art of the eye poke. that takedown is pretty incredible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm going to respectfully disagree and say it was also because Fedor's striking never really evolved. In 2005, it was the gold standard for heavyweight striking, by 2010, bigfoot is more technically sound, but much slower. Fedor gets cracked on the same openings and gaps he's always left, it's just that he hadn't fought anyone able to exploit them. And Bigfoot, astonishingly, absolutely was able to exploit them. He got battered on the feet (or at least couldn't get ahead, which is pretty damning for a fast handed volume guy like Fedor) long before bigfoot just sat on him and punched his eye out.

It's really hard to exagerrate or understate the hold Fedor had on his fans. They really thought he was invincible until very, very late in his career. In fact, as his good performances became more distant (and there was a time he was really good) his myth got bigger. Kind of like the Spartans. There was a conversation I remember reading, a longish one, multiple pages, about the potential outcome of Fedor vs Tyson in a various rulesets. After several pages, they finally conceded that Tyson would 'probably' have the advantage in striking.

i've genuinely not watched that fight since it happened so you're probably right. iirc it was kinda competitive-ish on the feet but bigfoot kept bullying fedor into the fence until he started getting takedowns and turned fedor's face to mush but i might not be recalling that correctly. god it's so loving long ago.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think i totally forgot that bigfoot was actually「a good heavyweight」for a long while. i appreciate the posts jogging my memory :cheers:

also just remembered spamming giant HD pics of fedor's hosed up face after that fight in the agony and ecstasy of fedor thread. lol.