Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will happen in the next ten years of heavyweight mixed martial arts?
This poll is closed.
Francis Ngannou will return to the UFC, the lineage will be restored, and normalcy will resume 1 5.56%
Francis Ngannou will spark a golden age of international heavyweight MMA 0 0%
Jon Jones vs Ciryl Gane never takes place and the UFC's new lineage collapses before it starts 5 27.78%
The UFC's new lineage remains and three of the next four champions will come from the Contender Series 6 33.33%
Scott Coker will hold at least four more heavyweight grand prix tournaments 5 27.78%
Give the thread your dread prediction 1 5.56%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, I haven't thought about Brandon Vera in a while. He was so easy to make fun of but also that fight he had with Shogun was so extremely good. He really threw everything he had into it and came close to finaly living up to all thet promise he had. He hit Shogun with the kitchen sink, but it's still fuckin' Shogun back when he was mostly shot instead of completely shot. Vera was so heart broken in the post fight interview and I nearly felt sorry for him before I rmembered he's Brandon Vera.

Amazing write up, just as it was last time. Can't believe that was ten years ago and that heavyweight, in a different way, is just as hosed up then as it is now.

Also, interesting note, it's not just the UFC lineal title, but the Pride, Strikeforce, Dream and probably a fair few others that were severed with Ngannou's leaving. I do love that the UFC's excuse for Ngannou was 'he's not a draw.' Well, you're the loving promoter. If you can't make that guy a draw, you're loving poo poo at it. He's the easiest guy to promote on the planet. You just hold up a picture of him and say 'he's going to punch somebody this weekend. Want to watch? Of course you loving do.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

bigfoot vs fedor was hilarious coming off the heels of werdum's win being discounted by fedor stans as a fluke. fedor got absolutely demolished by one of the shittiest "top" heavyweights ever because big.

I'm going to respectfully disagree and say it was also because Fedor's striking never really evolved. In 2005, it was the gold standard for heavyweight striking, by 2010, bigfoot is more technically sound, but much slower. Fedor gets cracked on the same openings and gaps he's always left, it's just that he hadn't fought anyone able to exploit them. And Bigfoot, astonishingly, absolutely was able to exploit them. He got battered on the feet (or at least couldn't get ahead, which is pretty damning for a fast handed volume guy like Fedor) long before bigfoot just sat on him and punched his eye out.

It's really hard to exagerrate or understate the hold Fedor had on his fans. They really thought he was invincible until very, very late in his career. In fact, as his good performances became more distant (and there was a time he was really good) his myth got bigger. Kind of like the Spartans. There was a conversation I remember reading, a longish one, multiple pages, about the potential outcome of Fedor vs Tyson in a various rulesets. After several pages, they finally conceded that Tyson would 'probably' have the advantage in striking.