Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the only kind of Bar Rescue type shows allowed in the US should be Nathan For You style shows where the goal is actually to get into a game of TV Chicken with the small business owner

That was what basically got Kitchen Nightmares cancelled. They had owners who were making their place over the top gross to try and get fame/a free remodel and the show's producers kept sending Ramsey to people who were clearly mentally unstable for views, which required international air travel and pissed him off.

There was an episode called "Amy's Baking Company" that he said convinced him to stop the show. After that episode, they only filmed one more season and then he quit to do Masterchef and one-off specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xaris posted:

oh yeah this is true for all reality/competition shows, like master chef

America producers specifically write up and demand more drama and zingers and abrasion and hostility. it’s played up way more every man for themselves cutthroatery and sick owns.

other countries (ie masterchef Australia) versions are vastly more communal solidarity and friendly

I remember reading reviews of the Great British Baking Show when it came to Netflix and some of the American reviewers were mad that when contestants are eliminated they just get told "thanks for participating" and get to stay on the show and watch the rest. They were mad that it "deflated" the competition aspect of the show by not harshly punishing and embarrassing the losers.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

isnt that exactly what Nathan For You was?

god i loved that show

Yes. Check out his spiritual sequel show "The Rehearsal" if you haven't seen it. It is genius and insane.