Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
D, E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

C, F

So far our fellow dwarves respond only with conflict as we assert our rightful claim to the mountains. Perhaps with the path of influence we can find a peaceful way to bring them under our banners.

Every fiber of my being as a dwarf says we should take the ideas of defense and make our holds impregnable. Yet we have seen over and over even the most fortified holds fall. We are a new people who do not hide in our hold from the outside world. We embrace the world by delving deeper, adventuring farther, and discovering faster. Let us take offensive ideas so that rather than hiding behind our walls, our armies can make our enemies cower behind theirs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
D, E

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
D,E

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

C, F

So far our fellow dwarves respond only with conflict as we assert our rightful claim to the mountains. Perhaps with the path of influence we can find a peaceful way to bring them under our banners.

Every fiber of my being as a dwarf says we should take the ideas of defense and make our holds impregnable. Yet we have seen over and over even the most fortified holds fall. We are a new people who do not hide in our hold from the outside world. We embrace the world by delving deeper, adventuring farther, and discovering faster. Let us take offensive ideas so that rather than hiding behind our walls, our armies can make our enemies cower behind theirs.

We should learn from and not repeat the mistakes of our ancestors.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
D, F

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
D, F

I haven't touched EU in years, but I might have to take another look for this mod!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

B, C

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

B, D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B, C

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A and D

Trade can literally make you cocaine bear levels of money and to be honest while YES the other dwarves are looking hostile we are probably well ahead of the game on reclaiming and advancing things rather than needing to fight right NOW, and we can always buy mercs.

Also Odval Tungr needs its own tree, loving rip off that they don't have one and also not a way to dig a shaft to connect to the spine with that.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
D and F

We need trade to fuel our techno-dwarf future and that means economic investments and cannons to keep people away from our gold.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

A and B

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

C, F

Not only shall we dig too deep, we shall do so EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
C, D. The slaying of Dwarf by Dwarf must be minimized, else who will remain to settle the long-abandoned holds, to say nothing of new lands over sea? Let us win friends in the proper style, by buying them.

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007
C, D

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Unofficial Interim tally
A: Economic - 3
B: Administrative - 7
C: Influence - 10
D: Trade - 12
E: Defensive - 4
F: Offensive - 8

There's just a little more than 24 hours left.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 14, 2023

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

B, D

I don't actually know if we're in a good position for trade or for dominating a good trade node, but offensive + innovative is absolutely a thing we need if we want to ever siege down any dwarven holds in any reasonable amount of time. +20% siege abiliity from the ideas plus another +20% and +1 leader siege from the policy is not to be underestimated.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
By my count, the final results are as follows:

A: Economic - 3
B: Administrative - 8
C: Influence - 10
D: Trade - 13
E: Defensive - 4
F: Offensive - 8

Trade will be our next idea choice, and Admin, Offensive and Influence will all be options at the next vote. Depending on the situation, it might even be just those three.

Now, since Trade has been selected, before I discuss exactly how this vote will influence the game going forward, it is important to give a view of what the trade situation is like in our nation. But first, a very brief primer on how trade works.

Interlude: Trading Directions
Trade in EU4

Trade in EU4 (including mods, this stuff is hardbaked in afaik) is modelled as the flow of goods from producers to consumers. In vanilla, this means from Asia and the Americas into Europe. It is a little more complicated in Anbennar.

Every province is part of a Trade Node. It contributes a certain amount of value to that node, based on the type and amount of goods being produced. A Trade Node can also gain additional value from Upstream Nodes, which is to say nodes who are coded to have a flow from their node into another. It also loses value from Downstream Nodes, the nodes that the node is question is coded to flow into. Finally, once all that is summed, countries with either their Trading City (the capital by default, but can be moved), or with a merchant assigned to collect from trade, earn some of that proportional to their trade power within the node.

There are three more important types of nodes. Start Nodes, nodes which have no trade flowing into them, only out. End Nodes, nodes which have no trade flowing out, only in. Quasi-End Nodes, which I will discuss later.

As you might imagine, End Nodes end up incredibly wealthy, while Start Nodes can never be wealthier than the sum of their provinces. Now, how does that affect us?

Trading in Anbennar

Below is a very simplified map of trading in Anbennar (or at least Cannor, Bulwar and the Dwarovar). Start Nodes circled in red, End in green, all others in yellow, with blue connections.

Our node, the Serpentreach, only has one other node flowing into it, the Deepwoods, which is a Start Node in and of itself (well, maybe not but that is a story for a completely different LP). This means that we are very poorly positioned to take advantage of trade at the moment, as we can at most have the value of those two nodes flowing into our coffers.

The western of the two (and only) End Nodes that can be seen there are the Dameshead, which ultimately receives almost all of the world's wealth. It is also the heart of the Empire of Anbennar, so seizing control of it without being a pre-existing trade power is essentially winning the game already. The eastern End Node is Amldihr, which receives some trade from the east, but mostly from within the Dwarovar itself, all the way from one end of the mountains to the other. A unified Aul-Dwarov can make it wealthier than Dameshead, but otherwise it is far weaker.

Our trade can flow in either direction. This leaves us with two options.

The Two Plans

Light blue represents nodes 'secured' by us. Light green represents End or Quasi-End nodes 'secured' by us.

We can either start pushing for Amldihr, which will take us down the path of monopolising the trade within the Dwarovar and rebuilding the ancient empire in its entirety, building a single unified dwarven state to ensure a repeat of the diaspora never happens. However, that will involve inevitably warring and subjugating our fellow dwarves to fight for the crown and generally ignoring the situation on the surface, which could come back to bite us.

Or, we can push out, secure the coast, and instead try to dominate the trade coming in through Bulwar by creating a Quasi-End Node in Eborthil. A Quasi-End Node is one that has only one Downstream Node. If you can also gain control of that Downstream Node, then you effectively monopolise the Quasi-End Node and all the wealth there flows directly into your coffers instead of being siphoned off downstream. Once the Reach is fully secured we will leave the reclamation of the rest of the Dwarovar to our brethren, and instead get involved in the politics of humans and elves.

This is going to be a big decision that will have massive ramifications, so I thought to leave it to a vote. Mild spoiler, relevant to this decision. Our next phase of missions, once they are unlocked, involve pushing out onto the surface rather than deeper into the mountains.

Where do we trade?
Mountains, or Surface

Voting again lasts 48 hours.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Surface

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A little surface time would be good.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Surface

EU4's trade system has some issues but it's one of the biggest drivers of player goals in the game, both long and short term, and I think this does a good job of showing why.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Surface

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Mountains

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mountains

There's a big dumb dwarf crown with magic dwarf gems to reforge and a huge ancient dwarf railroad to monopolize and you people are talking about the SURFACE!?

WE ARE DWARVES
WE BELONG IN THE FORTRESS

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 14, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Surface. Let's "help" Ovdal Tungr.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mountains!

Going to the beach is very undwarven. No, stop enjoying it!

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Mountains

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

going for an outlier

DO our missions

Missions provide a lot of flavor, and fluff and other things

Also do we have any more expedition points inside our control right now? if we have the spare resources those can be a profitable way to get more monarch mana.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

going for an outlier

DO our missions

Missions provide a lot of flavor, and fluff and other things

Also do we have any more expedition points inside our control right now? if we have the spare resources those can be a profitable way to get more monarch mana.

I was planning on doing the missions either way the vote went, so don't worry about that. It'll just end up being a bit weird if the vote goes for Mountains as we'll poke our heads out for a while then turn around and go back.

We gained several more expedition points from the last war, they are on the list of things to spend manpower on when we have some downtime.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sybot posted:

I was planning on doing the missions either way the vote went, so don't worry about that. It'll just end up being a bit weird if the vote goes for Mountains as we'll poke our heads out for a while then turn around and go back.

We gained several more expedition points from the last war, they are on the list of things to spend manpower on when we have some downtime.

I mean, I think most of the dwarf trees involve at least some messing around with outside of the mountain areas themselves.

Mountains it is We can do a little surface for our missions but we can strike the earth better than they can.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2023

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
There's a lot of wealth to gain on the surface, and who better to siphon it than us? Also I like the idea of getting involved in surface politics.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Surface.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Mountains, we got that diamond for a reason

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Surface

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Mountains

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Surface.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Surface.
We're breaking the mold and will have the greatest dwarven merchant fleet! Sure we'll be the only ones with it but it's still true

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mountains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Surface.
Let our brothers mine for the riches of the past, so long as it flows through our hands we will be the true lords of the mountains.