Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Alright so this LP has sold me on Anbennar. I’ve played plenty of Paradox games including EU4 before.

Give it to me straight: Are any of the other dwarven tags half as cool as glass laser science dwarfs? And have astronomy cthulhu dwarves been implemented yet I remember you mentioning that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I tried the other side of this LP (the Xiaken) and boy is that a nightmare huh. Having a five year time limit from game start til fighting the Command is bad times.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta agree. Infrastructure just makes sense for them Balrijin boys and girls

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Man, we're very into the ethnic cleansing of the Oni population in the territory we ostensibly conquered for the purpose of looking for Balris, huh?

Unfortunately, the oni spent centuries leaning really hard into an image of being literal demons/supervillains. It comes as little surprise then that basically everyone in Haless treats them as such.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

When you spend all your time cackling like a supervillain and doing actual factual human(oid) sacrifice to steal peoples chi, and constantly talk about how you seek to desecrate and drain the great spirits everyone holds as sacred…

Well it’s a very all or nothing tactic shall we say, and if you don’t get all that just leaves nothing. Like so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Just dropping in to say I've read through this entire thread and have gotten into a bit of an Anbennar hole thanks to you. Will be following the adventures of our funny small lizard men.

Same. Same.

Also on a related note Eduz Vacyn’s MT is so good it’s ruined all other Bulwari humans for me

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 15, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

"God's back and decided they want a democracy" is a cool path to take.

Yeah this is shaping up to be a pretty fun swerve.

“God says theocracies are scrub tier, this is awkward for us, the theocrats”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lorent has a tendency, in my experience, once it finishes its initial reunification to COMPLETELY ignore everything going on in Cannor and completely focus upon colonial adventures.

Like in my last game as Elikhand Grombar just unhinged its jaw and swallowed Gawed whole and Lorent simply couldn’t be arsed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm surprised there even is a one vs two nation path. With the emergence of a Lanjinhui National Party I figured we were basically already 70% there. Interesting though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hot drat that's a satisfying map and a beautiful thing to see after a billion games of the Command's dumb 'stratocracy' balling out of control. A very cool CB indeed.

We absolutely need Influence next the way things are going tho.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I wouldn’t really expect the CK3 or Vicky 3 Anbennars to be really playable for another year at a minimum. Beyond playing them in a quasi-testing capacity anyway.

Also yeah, you don’t really sign up for Balrijin to be the bad guys

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

How fast are we developing? And what would that mean for people "on the ground" as it were?

I can’t speak for how fast Sybot is pressing the button exactly, but 5 mana is a ludicrously preposterously cheap development cost for a province that already has 20 development.

It would most likely look like rapid urbanization and expansive public works projects to people on the ground, if Sybot is taking advantage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I am hype as gently caress for the Lived Experiences update

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sybot posted:

I'm glad people are enjoying it so far. I do like the way it's been implemented compared to the other disasters that just throw huge costs or monstrous rebel stacks at you, with ways to embrace the disaster as much as try to fight it.

They're in the one province west of Hengdu Bowu, too small to have their name on the map.

Some of the specific mission components of the Rending could use fine tuning on their requirements but yeah, it's way way way better designed than the dwarven disasters which all expect a large degree of foreknowledge and also get kinda repetitive on successive dwarf playthroughs.

By the third time you're subjected to the Hoardcurse you're just like "ugghhh loving get on with it"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There are two dragons inside you(r nation)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I haven't played Anbennar myself (though the more I learn about the setting, the more I'm tempted), but we're now 2/2 in these playthroughs on the Obsidian Legion taking over the Serpentspine (not counting the one where we were required to directly intervene, being Dwarves ourselves). Is this a pretty common outcome? Feels like the Obsidian Invasion might be just a smidge overtuned, at least when happening to NPCs.

Obsidian Legion usually becomes a minor power and then gets devoured by a nearby super power like the Phoenix Empire in my experience, if they survive at all. When they spawn in the Reach the AI seems to usually kill them off and when they spawn in the Middle Dwarovar they do pretty okay until Phoenix time.

Last game's Mega Obsidians were very, very unusual.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah the work that’s currently being done for South Aelantir in particular is amazing. The whole Effelai system by which you can slowly attune with and become one with the jungle hive mind goddess as a native is incredibly cool. Also incredibly evil! But incredibly cool.

The MTs are being worked on as we speak

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

NewMars posted:

In a good way, or a bad way?

Good way. Firebat is crazy for thinking anything about Luciande is nonsensical.

It is very upfront that you are playing a hybrid of Strahd and COBRA Commander. You’re a hammy supervillain and it owns. Chewing scenery start to finish.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

mcclay posted:

Is there a way to not end up at war with literally all of Cannor?

No. You’re not trying to win, you’re trying to survive. You just need to buy about two and a half years of time. If they siege down your whole nation, doesn’t matter as long as Castle Dracula is intact.

Having a very meticulously castled and ramparted border is advised.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eh truthfully I don’t think Luciande would be a great fit for Sybot’s writing style. Much as I love the giant bloodsucking ham.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In other news man I gotta say, playing Kheterata as a colonizer is a wild ride. Also both Lorent and Gawed just melted down into full Revolution hm.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Where does Luciande start? I tried looking for it in Cannor but couldn't find it.

You wouldn't because, the way Escann works is that you start as an adventurer band and by virtue of becoming the de facto administration in post-Greentide lands you eventually form a state. Company of Thorns becomes Luciande, Brave Brothers becomes Wyvernheart, and so on and so on. There's a poo poo load of different formables for adventurers in Escann.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

As okay. I tried starting as Order of Iron Sceptor but had trouble parsing the adventuring company mechanics.

The general gist of how to adventurer is

1) Reform Progress. You need to finish your reforms to become a real nation. Prioritize tribal buildings that expedite reform progress.

2) Complete the center line of the Adventurer generic MT before you turn into a formable. This prevents you from getting owned by the Legacy of Adventurers modifier when you become a nation similar to how dwarves need to accumulate dwarven knowledge to finish their reforms.

3) Take as much tribal land as humanly possible. You and all the orcs are using native mechanics. Your goal before you settle down is to have a gigantic swathe of tribal land because all tribal land with your name on it will be auto colonized when you become a nation.

During this stage you can’t really kill anyone unless they only have one province and you take all of their tribal land first. Prioritize beating up orcs with a federation with offensive wars backing you up. Only fight other adventurers if you lack soft targets/better opportunities.

Broadly speaking this strategy will work for everyone in Escann you might play.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 23, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Rending is genuinely excellent yeah. Though it has had some struggles along the way with implementation/bugs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Doesn't quite fit with the Goldscale narrative of being a less expansionist power, though. At least our dictator actually did the Cincinnatius thing.

It doesn’t but I can forgive a lot in the name of stopping the re-enslavement/Super Torture of a species/a bunch of species.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The what the gently caress surprise Oni moment at Black Jade Citadel definitely enhanced my Azjakuma run I will say.

I was ready for those cheeky bastards.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Are

Are mom and dad fighting :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mom and dad was mostly me bullshitting. Dragons are asexually reproducing non-binary giant lizards with little displayed interest in identifying as a given gender in Anbennar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Revolutionary Bhuvauri eh

You weren’t kidding about this not ending well Balris. Truly our Lord is wise in the prediction of plot twists, as when he foresaw the season finale of Kindled Scales, Smouldering Passions

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RubricMarine posted:

Very curious what you have going on with the revolution in Bhuvauri and where Jyntas went. Compelling writing as usual.

Bhuvauri getting an MT and thus Jyntas getting expanded is the top of my wishlist with Anbennar. Thinking on it, though, it's funny that dragons are nearly extinct and thus so incredibly rare yet four nations can be sort of ruled by them (the Dragon Dominion, Aakheta, Bhuvauri, and Balrijin/Xerlanza). Am I missing any or are those four the only dragons still around in Anbennar?

There's actually quite a few dragons still kicking around in Anbennar, most of them just keep to their own affairs and don't muck with mortal nations is all.

Spoiler texting this but:

There's a Green Dragon in the Deepwoods that basically nothing is known about.
The Hunter in the Deep, the Serpentspine Dragon, is still around. They're the one who obliterated Gor Vazumbrog.
Tayekan the Blue is canonically puppet mastering the Gnomish Hierarchy through rampant shapeshifting and identity assuming.
The Sand Demon of the Salahad Desert is still minding their own business.
Elkaesal the White is sleeping in Gerudia.
Alos the Copper might be dead or might be the one armed Bard who sang Elkaesal to sleep

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eordand is the only nation where artificing and magic are explicitly not in competition with each other.

Anbennar as a whole has a rather silly notion that artificing is inherently populist despite being reliant on the rarest material on the planet, thus making it arguably easier to coopt by elites than even mages.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sybot posted:

Good spot, that was one of the inspirations for how they'd work.

I'm not sure if its official lore or anything, but I imagine them being the primordial rulers of the region, alongside the likes of the Djinn in Bulwar and Sarhal or the Giants in Cannor. However, instead of being slain or driven away like those were, they were sealed away and the Rending is the result of thousands of years of stored-up power being released at once. Of course, that the effects abruptly stop as soon as you set foot onto another continent is where it gets really gamey. There are other places where weird poo poo is confined to a specific area of the map, like the Deepwoods, Shadow Swamp, certain chunks of Aelantir, though none of those have as dramatic a gameplay impact as the Rending.

It’s actually much simpler than that. The Spirit Realm is another plane that, much like the Fey Realm, overlays the material world and is a reflection of it. Haless just happens to be where the Spirit Realm is closest to the material world in the same way that the Deepwoods is the same thing but for the Fey Realm and the Shadow Swamp the Plane of Shadow. So there is cross over where the barrier is porous as gently caress.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Bittersweet note to finish it on, hope Balris has a good tree in the v3 adaptation

Yeah I have bad news about that

But thanks for doing this Sybot. Balrijin were a great addition to the LP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elikhand, no question. One of the cooler MTs in the game and probably one of the few that actually engages with the concept of religious and cultural syncreticism.

Grombar would also be interesting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elikhand is really great, though I will say the in game tooltips do a pretty bad job of explaining Dalcabba. The writer elaborated in some reddit posts that help though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sybot posted:

I think I have a decent enough handle on what Dalcabba is, but I'd be interested in reading the original writer's thoughts as well. Do you have a link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anbennar/s/oW1iVr2um8

Look for the posts by DittoMoment, that would be Ditto, Kalyin’s Prophet from the Anbennar discord.

It’s not really anything you COULDN’T discern from the tooltips and text per se, but I don’t think the tooltips do a great job of articulating the deal with Castellos either.

Also worth noting that in the Bitbucket branch, Dalcabba is in the Cannorian religious grouping which opens a number of possibilities for Elikhand.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

puppets freak me out posted:

Don't worry, I don't think anybody else is either.

The opposite really, though mostly only in Anbennar. Escann is second only to the Dwarovar in popularity, and thus a ton of people know the mechanics :v:

It’s not too tough though. Claim as much tribal land as possible, reform as fast as possible, and finish the center adventurer mission line are the three guidelines for Escann.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GENTLEMEN! BEHOLD!

MORE CORN!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Settle cost is unfortunately not terribly valuable due to the Escann unique mechanics

All tribal land you hold is going to be auto settled when you form your Escanni nation. This is why playing Hungry Hungry Hippos with tribal land is really 90% of what matters. If you do it right you basically auto colonize 50% or more of Escann in one fell swoop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wow I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Iron Scepter displaced that far south at this stage.

Also lmao we’re just a smol bean ethnostate. Can’t have enough non-halflings that they might outvote us….Newshire has a right to exist folks!

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2024