Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

B, 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sybot posted:

We'll be doing something a bit different next time, I've got a choice of nations from different races lined up for voting with a certain theme. There'll be a few weeks break before that though.

I know this is staying inside the Serpentspine, but....

*bangs fists on table* ROADWARRIORS! ROADWARRIORS! ROADWARRIORS!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I went with New Shire, because if we take the interpretation that Hobbits represent the pastoral English upper-middle class in it's idealized form, then the bad guy version of that is Brexit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

NewMars posted:

Oh yeah, by the way, in the latest dev versions they've added something because playing dwarfs was too easy. A whole new, incredibly bad disaster! Basically, a religious revival of the old dwarvern pantheon, abandoned in the flight from the depths in favour of ancestor worship starts. And unless they rebalanced it since I last played it makes the hoardcurse look like a joke in terms of horrible, horrible rebellions everywhere.

That's really stupid. I blame modders assuming everyone interested in playing knows how to do a World Conquest starting as Ulm and tune the difficulty from there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Plutonis posted:

Playing Dwarves was always the "hit your own dick with a hammer a hundred times" of Anbennar so the average dwarf player probably welcomes the challenge. Even more fun if you have this, Hoardcurse, Serpent Rot and Obsidian Invasion at the same time. And maybe the Krakhundavor disaster.

So the only correct way to play SerpentSpine is to splash paint remover on everything as the Road Warriors, got it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GunnerJ posted:

All gnolls are equally depraved and vicious in the many eyes of Xhazob!

But what about the non-gnolls that we're not keeping enslaved or sacrificing? Slippery Slope!!! :tinfoil:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Getting the naval equivalent of Lu Bu doesn't seem too outlandish, even if it's a little counter-intuitive.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

habeasdorkus posted:

I have to say, being a piratical narco-state of demon-blooded hooligans does make the gameplay mesh with the narrative much more than being a bunch of liberal crusaders did in the Dwarven playthrough. We were an expansionistic imperial state, at the very least since we started conquering large chunks of the surface, and I felt it clashed with the multicultural and democratic society that the updates described.* Here, of course we're going to conquer poo poo and take thousands of slaves. That's what those other civs are there for!

Your fiction interludes have also been particularly enjoyable in this playthrough as well, Sybot. Two thumbs and a pseudopenis up.

* e: of course, that's also true of real life democratic empires.

One of the criticisms that EUIV in general is that the mechanics white-wash much of the ugliness of the period it covers (as one example,, just put some Bird Points in a province, and its now a friendly culture! No elaboration on how that works), and for all the cool stuff in it Anbennar can only fix so much of that.

Now, whether it is EUIV (or Anbennar's) responsibility to highlight what actually occurred is a debate far beyond the scope of this LP. But as you said, this can lead to moments of disconnect where it feels like a narrative you're trying to make for an LP sound awfully similar to IRL historical narratives that make the same excuses.

Again, this is not meant to be an indictment of the mod or the LP, but it is worth being conscious of.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GunnerJ posted:

Uh, what am I missing about that line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

habeasdorkus posted:

When have Goons ever decided to try and smother Revolution? I, for one, look forward to a Great Society, where freedom from Want of More Drugs has been achieved.

Not intentionally. But goon-voting to results no one wanted is a proud tradition of Paradox LPs

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh good, the gnolls have invented Capitalism.

I was worried they were starting to seem sympathetic :haw:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

habeasdorkus posted:

Man, we're very into the ethnic cleansing of the Oni population in the territory we ostensibly conquered for the purpose of looking for Balris, huh?

Sonic Seyz there's no such thing as an Ethical EUIV Playthrough.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was noticing the modifiers before reading what just happened, so my thought process was "wait, why are we getting a stability dro-ohhh :lol:"

Sybot posted:

Balrijin is one of the most wholesome nations in the mod, and one of the top candidates for a 'least evil' (in so far as any EU4 nation could be considered so) playthrough out there among nations with MTs.

The Roadwarriors are gentle and pure souls that only want to get all the garish paint off of a lovely world map.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 16, 2024

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I actually like this a lot more than the plagues and the goldrot that Dwarves had to deal with.

One thing that I think would be a good addition to Anbennar would be some sort of regional disaster preview. In vanilla EUIV you sort of know ahead of time what long term challenges a country will face based on IRL history. You might not know the best way to deal with them, but you can expect them to happen and take steps to plan ahead.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a start that's well suited for larping as Skeletor?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Where does Luciande start? I tried looking for it in Cannor but couldn't find it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You wouldn't because, the way Escann works is that you start as an adventurer band and by virtue of becoming the de facto administration in post-Greentide lands you eventually form a state. Company of Thorns becomes Luciande, Brave Brothers becomes Wyvernheart, and so on and so on. There's a poo poo load of different formables for adventurers in Escann.

As okay. I tried starting as Order of Iron Sceptor but had trouble parsing the adventuring company mechanics.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a Anbennar discord?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I assume we can just release the distant islands that we just no-cb grabbed.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Roadwarriors. Doesn't have to be a complicated narrative, I just want to was Sybot pour paint remover all over the map.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I made five votes, but heart belongs to POTION SELLER!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I guess the potions were too powerful for this thread. I'll have to check them out later.

(voted for the halflings instead.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD LAWN

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CommissarMega posted:

This is going to be the main theme of our playthrough, isn't it?

SONIC SEYZ THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS AN ETHICAL EUIV PLAYTHROUGH!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Snipee posted:

The kobolds were pretty wholesome

They tried, but at the end of the day they created a global hegemon. You don't do that without stacking a mountain of bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sure. #1 global ranked Empire at the dawn of the 19th century that tangled with the powers of Europe Cannor and won is a 'regional' hegemon.

If SA became a thing in that Anbennar timeline I'd guarantee you'd have posters saying Balris should be guillotined.

I'm not saying that they were just as bad as other possibilities, but when you are on the receiving end those wars the finer details tend to get forgotten.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 1, 2024