Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I wouldn't say it's a trap even for landlocked nations. You get +10% combat ability across the board, +5% discipline, and +0.5 army tradition growth (which is much more significant than it sounds). That's a substantial bonus to land combat. Combat ability and discipline are multiplicative with each other, and army tradition gives you better generals which is multiplicative with both. No other military idea group outside of mods gives that much overall boost to your combat effectiveness on a per-unit level.

Yeah, it also includes three ideas that are exclusively naval, but so what? The benefits to land combat are good enough on their own.

But regardless, as you point out, we're right next to what is essentially this world's Mediterranean Sea, so (assuming we don't stick exclusively to the mountains--I don't know what this particular nation's mission tree wants us to do) there'll be chances to use the naval bonuses as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Fair enough. I just recall something from a very long time ago where issues with the AI effectively would cause it to just annihilate itself via attrition. To combat that, the maximum amount of attrition was capped. Granted, again, this was many, many years ago, so it's entirely possible that that's been cleaned up in the intervening expansions and versions. I'm glad to hear that the strategy works in Anbennar because it makes defensive play much more powerful for nations like dwarves that are themed around being more defensive.

Yeah, they capped attrition at 5% per month years ago. That said, Kobolds have an increased max attrition cap. Dwarves might as well, not sure, but I know kobolds do.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Are you telling me that freaking dwarves can't dig a dead snake back up? With all that technology and magic? :mad:

Look, it's "Diggy diggy hole," not "Diggy diggy grave".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

The Ogres are fun because EVERYONE hates you and your goal is to convert everyone to an evil religion, and corrupt temples to become super power. But... the goddamn Command starts BORDERING you. It's a scary one.

Bordering you and with missions involving subjugating or vassalizing you, at that. It definitely doesn't sound like an easy start.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Eh, it almost has to be better than the Daxugos-specific disaster. That one's micromanagement hell and can utterly destroy your run if you don't read far enough ahead in the missions.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ogres in general are also pretty high on the monstrous scale. IIRC one of their tolerance events involves ogres in the army eating their fellow soldiers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I usually see the Obsidian Legion end up as a minor power with a couple of holds at best. I've never seen them dominate in my own games, and they frequently either lose the initial war totally or get chipped away at by the other nearby powers. Honestly, I've only ever seen mega-empires form a couple of times, and those usually from one of the main Bulwari players. Cannor, the Serpentspine, and Haless seem pretty self-balancing in the hands of the AI. Haless does get blobby, but it's multiple mid-sized blobs instead of one spanning the whole continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a start that's well suited for larping as Skeletor?

Chaingrasper in the southern Serpentspine Mountains near Haless.