Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Just in case anyone hasn’t read it, here’s an article by a Toronto restaurant man who made horrible decisions. Whenever you think it can’t get worse it does: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure the NFL has a class available for retiring players about managing their fortune. It’s literally called “Don’t Buy A Bar”.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
stopped reading at "paycheque"

Grow up.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

quote:

During the party, the tenant above the Beech Tree flooded her apartment, and water cascaded from our ceiling onto a table as the diners were placing their order. We put a bucket on their table, moved them to the bar and mopped up. Eventually, the deluge slowed to a steady drip, but with the dinner service largely ruined, I entered full panic mode. I fled downstairs, locked myself in the walk-in fridge and poured six cans of cider down my throat. I had run out of pills a couple of months earlier, so booze was my last refuge. We had hired a band to play. I eventually emerged from my hiding place, drunk and cocksure, grabbed a guitar and attempted to play along. It went as well as could be predicted: badly. Then I gave a rambling, incoherent speech to the guests, including Mary-Margaret McMahon, our city councillor. I staggered home and passed out.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i aint clickin that spyware link

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

As someone who cooked professionally for a decade, restaurants are hell for nearly everyone involved including the owners

Just see the Restaurant horror story thread

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

"" posted:

During the party, the tenant above the Beech Tree flooded her apartment, and water cascaded from our ceiling onto a table as the diners were placing their order. We put a bucket on their table, moved them to the bar and mopped up. Eventually, the deluge slowed to a steady drip, but with the dinner service largely ruined, I entered full panic mode.

I know absolutely 0 about running a restaurant, but like wouldn't you have insurance to cover poo poo like this happening? Having to close and I would assume to a lot of repair work because of water damage

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

WTF are you doing being reasonable and forward thinking Nooner?! It's like I don't know you anymore.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember that article!
I always remember articles written by people I wanna slap.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Tbf most restaurants are run by overzealous morons who don't know the first thing about food safety or how to cook

Just gonna open my bottom level apartment door and say COME ON PEOPLE LETS EAT

what could go wrong?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Treecko posted:

Tbf most restaurants are run by overzealous morons who don't know the first thing about food safety or how to cook

Just gonna open my bottom level apartment door and say COME ON PEOPLE LETS EAT

what could go wrong?

What are the specials today?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I read that essay and it just baffles me how you're actually supposed to go about doing something like that.

Do you just need to have saved up a million dollars from working some other job first?

Like, selling his house and borrowing money from friends and everything seems like terrible choices, but he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without that.

The rate at which new restaurants open makes me believe they can't all be going all in like that.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

What are the specials today?

Organicly fed guinea pig, or cavy, as some like to call it

The gimmick is that you have to catch it and prepare it yourself while I do laundry

If that's too much work there's some ice cream in the freezer.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oh look, more propaganda to dissuade entrepreneurs from starting small businesses

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A Strange Aeon posted:

I read that essay and it just baffles me how you're actually supposed to go about doing something like that.

Do you just need to have saved up a million dollars from working some other job first?

Like, selling his house and borrowing money from friends and everything seems like terrible choices, but he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without that.

The rate at which new restaurants open makes me believe they can't all be going all in like that.

I assume they get business loans, in addition to liquidating their own assets.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like a lot can't be as bad as this guy's case though, like probably you can move into the old restaurant and like 90% is ready to go, just need to clean and redecorate a little vs this guy who was like

"The restaurant was built on a superfund site and also I had to call the Ghostbusters, but the spot was perfect!!"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Also

Vent hood

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think he could have learned a lot from Doobie

Like...don't do it. Plain and simple.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh no my wild dreams and aspirations shot for the stars and crash landed in reality

Lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

"How do you make a small fortune in the restaurant business? Start with a large fortune."

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Whole article seems like a gatekeeping attempt by the established big dick restaurant swingers.

“Hey, don’t even think about opening up a new restaurant…. You’ll just fail. Also here’s a coupon for one free app at Applebees”

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
my favorite part is when he finally has one (1) successful week and immediately decides to close for a week while leaving the AC running full blast :thumbsup:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
i remember reading this a bit ago. i love how his takeaway was that restaurants are just too darn hard, don't do it! instead of hey don't do the loving stupid things i did back to back to back while. but then again all his writing about mixing drink with his prescription meds convinced me its prob fine for me to drink with my meds too. i mean hey this rear end in a top hat was chaining pills between whole bottles of wine and champagne on credit i think i can enjoy a little beer or two

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like the bit where he hides in the walk-in to chug a grip of ciders then goes back to play with the band :allears:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
When i finally get a hint of success after risking everything, i take a week off because i am an idiot baby man.

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

Treecko posted:

The gimmick is that you have to catch it and prepare it yourself while I do laundry

This is an innovative way to resolve your guinea pig infestation.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Treecko posted:

Sounds better than my normal lunch from Subway. I'll be right over.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
There's only 2 they're both males

It's a limited time special they're 7 years old and probably won't taste good

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i dunno, i would probably work as a line chef part time for a few months before I started a restaurant. just to see what it's like.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, I'm good at eating in restaurants, so I just assumed I'd be good at running one.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I had lunch at a falafel and kabob place in Boston once and as I was waiting for my food I saw that on an entire wall of the place was printed this long step by step story of the years of hell the place went though getting some enormous billy badass bread oven shipped over from Israel to make their pita.

I’m not going to remember all the details but apparently this oven was so gargantuan and used so much fuel that no building in the US was equipped to hook the thing up and had to include some giant fuckoff hood vent thing so all these extra special inspections had to be arranged that they kept failing and having to redo something or another in the building. Meanwhile the fabrication and overseas shipping of the oven itself kept getting delayed. This went on for years and was so expensive and traumatic to the owner that when they finally opened they felt it warranted a long winded explanation of the process as a permanent part of the decor.

I can’t imagine how any of that could ever pay off. The food was great but in the end how much better is it than some hole in the wall sandwich shop with just a regular oven and a rotating cylinder of meat. You could still end up closing down because too many people quit the same week or someone slipped and fell or something.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
luckily my restaurant will be different

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the plan: charge more for meals than it costs to make them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Mozi posted:

the plan: charge more for meals than it costs to make them

fuckin capitalism!!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Doesn’t even have the fish cakes or thrice fried potatoes anymore wtf

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Doesn’t even have the fish cakes or thrice fried potatoes anymore wtf

And for our special tonight, we can have the former owner get smashed on champagne and Xanax, and jam on and out of tune guitar for 45 minutes. Comes with choice of salad or baked potato.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I mean, the restaurant is still open and turning a profit under the new owner. Seems like the main problems were 1) he didn't have anywhere close to enough money to start a business and 2) he didn't have any experience in running a restaurant meaning he would need even more money to manage through all his mistakes.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

A lot of it is money laundering

Like not just breaking bad money laundering, a lot of the big restaurants in toronto are run by people who have a bunch of family money from outside Canada and investing in businesses like restaurants are an easy way to get that money into canada, and the books are always a bit shady so taxes are not always as much a thing. Real estate is also a thing, I actually worked for his landlord friend in the article who financed his restaurant (and owned the building the resto was in, forget if he mentioned that) and owned "a popular west end bar" and the restaurants basically exist as a way to have a business in those spaces that isn't entirely cash flow negative while the property appreciates in value. He jokingly asked me if I wanted the "west end bar" at a couple of times since owning a bar/restaurant sucks but being a landlord is great, which is the real between the lines story of that article.

Also a lot of it is stealing from staff, I did an interview with a high end resto/bar (club district rooftop, millions and millions in sales, famous basketball players and Drake showing up kind of place) for being a manager and they were all like "salary is $35k, but you make can twice that in gratuities" and I was all like "oh am I working tipped shifts" and they were all like "no, we just have all the servers tip the house and pay you with that" (note that isn't everywhere, but honestly the more rich kid chandelier clubby a place is, the worse it is for staff), which is hilarious since I make more than that + actual service bar/regular bar tips at the 40 capacity place I work at.

The small 25-50 person restaurants that open up are almost always a bad idea and no one really makes money unless they are at capacity every night and even then maybe a couple owners make money but not as much as, like, an office job, so they exist either out of desperation, as vanity projects for rich investors who don't mind losing money (tax poo poo), foolishness, a way to prop up real estate value until the owner can rent to a moneymaking venture, or a way to do other shady tax poo poo. Or just some mild organized crime money laundering.

restaurants are hosed, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like I read somewhere that without illegal labor in the back of house, most restaurants wouldn't even be close to breaking even. Is that something anyone has experienced? I mean the front of house aren't even being paid minimum wage so it's unclear how much worse off the back could be.