Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Winner of 11 Emmy awards including two for Outstanding Comedy Series, Ted Lasso is an American football coach hired to manage a British soccer team; what he lacks in knowledge, he makes up for in optimism, determination and biscuits.

The third and final season starts March 15 on Apple TV+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9yjn7Lkdg

Cast

Jason Sudeikis as Ted Lasso, an American college football coach who is hired to coach AFC Richmond, an English soccer team. He is frequently ridiculed for his folksy optimism and inexperience with the sport, but gradually wins people over through his kind and compassionate approach to coaching.

Hannah Waddingham as Rebecca Welton, the new owner of AFC Richmond. Kind yet vindictive, she initially hires Lasso to sabotage the team, but eventually comes to appreciate him.

Brett Goldstein as Roy Kent, a veteran box-to-box midfielder, captain and later assistant coach of AFC Richmond.

Juno Temple as Keeley Jones, an ambitious model who becomes the club's manager of marketing and public relations.

Jeremy Swift as Leslie Higgins, the timid but playful Director of Football Operations.

Brendan Hunt as Coach Beard, Lasso's grounded, laconic longtime assistant and friend.

Nick Mohammed as Nathan Shelley, the team's former kit man turned assistant coach, who is now head coach at West Ham United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think there’s still been nothing concrete on whether or not this is actually the final season, right? Although it seems like a good idea to me, loved both seasons but that would be a good three-act story

sad question
May 30, 2020

They should kill Nathan

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sad question posted:

They should kill Nathan

Finale should be a tribute to The Wicker Man.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching season 2 and it really is drat good and the backlash confuses me more than ever

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wonder if binging it would’ve been better for the ones who didn’t enjoy so much. I thought it was really solid too, really hoping the issues with the writing for this season that were reported were overblown.

Still mad they didn’t just leave the Xmas episode for the actual season though. Perplexes me to this day.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah I watched it a second time when my mom wanted to see it. It was good and any complaints about the "extra" episodes that don't move the season forward are no longer relevant when you binge.

Also this was over Christmas so the Christmas episode fit well.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
It started really slow for the first month.

remember, they got to release the first three episodes from S1 at once, so they wrote them like 3 acts of a longer story.

they thought they'd get the same deal for S2 but Apple knew they had a hit so they wanted to drag out the season as much as they could so they released S2 one week at a time and I think they added the holiday bottle episode too.

it was hard to watch with the week-long gaps

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

I loved the Christmas episode (and every episode) and I'll probably watch it every year now so backlash be damned :unsmith:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did too, it would’ve been a brilliant surprise if it came out of nowhere in December. The Guardians of the Galaxy one was great so at least I had something new to watch.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did too, it would’ve been a brilliant surprise if it came out of nowhere in December.

That would have been more :britain: aesthetic too wouldn't it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Definitely. Most of us grew up with huge anticipation of the big Christmas TV specials that would air down to the fine art of running to the store to get the bumper 2 week Xmas and NY edition of the tv guide and then whip out the highlighter to plan our VCRs around the meager 5 channels.

In the 00s this changed from scripted shows, big movie premieres and other fun one offs to nostalgia shows about these things, and now for the most part there’s next to nothing. So Apple dropping a Ted Lasso Xmas special on Christmas Eve would’ve been tits. It just seemed a wasted opportunity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense based on the schedule of the premier league and where they are at that point in the season. Never bothered me at all :shrug: the Beard episode was definitely the better of the extra two they got, though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God I really love season 2. Nate’s arc is so excellent and heartbreaking - although he’s done some really lovely things and betrayed the people who care about you really get a sense of his trauma and how he gets the wrong lesson from everything that happened to him and how it feels like Ted abandoned him and how Roy and Beard just don’t know how to deal with his specific issues so they just tell him off and make him feel smaller. His dad is such a piece of poo poo too. Basically I still have a lot of sympathy for him and expect him to be redeemed and me to cry at it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seeing reviews for s3. One thing I didn’t realize was that it’s now referred to as an hour long comedy, maybe some episodes length changes like usual but I’ll welcome the added fun time.

I like how the negative aspects of the review is essentially ‘the side characters are too well liked and interesting to just be side characters now’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/ted-lasso-review-apple-tv-season-3-1235347328/

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

EL BROMANCE posted:

Seeing reviews for s3. One thing I didn’t realize was that it’s now referred to as an hour long comedy, maybe some episodes length changes like usual but I’ll welcome the added fun time.

I like how the negative aspects of the review is essentially ‘the side characters are too well liked and interesting to just be side characters now’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/ted-lasso-review-apple-tv-season-3-1235347328/

trying to only skim and not read too much straight synopsis of the first four episodes, but I did enjoy this part:

quote:

Just because we’ve spent two years watching Goldstein, or at least Roy Kent, swearing at men, women and children alike doesn’t mean that the new season isn’t packed with some of my favorite Roy Kent obscenities. I offer “gently caress yeah, Princess Diaries” out-of-context as just one of several gems.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Apparently the new season is out? Tonight? My wife and I just watched the first episode.

And it feels like it’s starting very strong.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

“Finish the last level of Breath of the Wild”

Oh the gamers are gonna be mad about that one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

“Finish the last level of Breath of the Wild”

Oh the gamers are gonna be mad about that one.

lmao I definitely had an Opinion about that but you can count Hyrule Castle as a level I guess

that’s as far as I’ve got so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao that was Katy Wix right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flanderising the spitting

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like the set design of the window in Rupert’s office. Solid premiere overall. Keely/Roy wasn’t interesting and the beginning of the Nate press conference was a bit meh but otherwise I dug it! It’s back hooray!!!!!!!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Just finished. Good start.

Feels like lots of story threads starting that will (hopefully) pay off in time.

Also, if the thread title is not changed to “Pooh Pey” I will be disappointed

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 15, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

So many great lines. “After injecting toad venom, he won’t be the same. He will completely change as a person. But after twenty minutes, he should be fine to drive.”

I also like that they clearly and cleanly laid out the differences between the two teams: Richmond as mopey underdogs but who are clearly a team and who love their coach; and West Ham as a brilliant, talented team driven into the ground by a brilliant strategist who can’t be in charge without being a brutal rear end. I can’t imagine that it ends up that simple and straightforward in the end, though.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

"... And no sudden movements around the bus driver!!"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Great start to the season.

I'm loving Nate's arc. Still the little child obsessed with Twitter trying to act big. Bouncing from zero confidence to 100 and back again. I also love that assistant who clearly has no respect for him.

Meanwhile Ted (thanks to his team and son) has the right attitude on Nate by the end of the episode. Ted is still supportive which drives Nate mad.

"Poopeh"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

"Why'd you break up?"

Kid, same. I don't remember why they broke up but I'm sure they'll come around in the end anyway.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

this has already popped into my head a few times this morning and I laugh every time.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Zero One posted:

Great start to the season.

I'm loving Nate's arc. Still the little child obsessed with Twitter trying to act big. Bouncing from zero confidence to 100 and back again. I also love that assistant who clearly has no respect for him.

Meanwhile Ted (thanks to his team and son) has the right attitude on Nate by the end of the episode. Ted is still supportive which drives Nate mad.

"Poopeh"

Yeah, it was a good soft-reset back to being underdogs even though last season ended with them as winners (kind of). I do hope we get more jamie tart in general after being a big of season 1 and then side-lined the next.

Nate's story seems very predictable though. The moment there starts to be small problems, the twitter reaction will be negative which will throw him off, then his performance will spiral, and Rupert's affection will reverse. Nate will realize that the positivity he was getting at west ham was conditional, but the love he was getting from Ted was unconditional. I'd be surprised if they twist it any more than that, but we'll see.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Lister posted:

Yeah, it was a good soft-reset back to being underdogs even though last season ended with them as winners (kind of). I do hope we get more jamie tart in general after being a big of season 1 and then side-lined the next.

Nate's story seems very predictable though. The moment there starts to be small problems, the twitter reaction will be negative which will throw him off, then his performance will spiral, and Rupert's affection will reverse. Nate will realize that the positivity he was getting at west ham was conditional, but the love he was getting from Ted was unconditional. I'd be surprised if they twist it any more than that, but we'll see.

It definitely seems to be going down that predictable line, but that is often the consequence for these emotional problems Nate has.

Before he even went up for the presser I was quoting the lines I hadn't seen yet like, "So you were just a towel boy this big step up must make you nervous," and he'd be like, "Oh gently caress you lol journalist"

So all that spiraling could be a big part of it where only Ted can save him, or he might get caught up in false appearances where Rupert goes to extreme lengths to scapegoat people to keep Ned on a pedestal, causing more festering guilt, insecurity, and dependence on Rupert in Nate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They really just kind of pulled the parachute on the Roy/Keeley breakup huh? I literally watched the last two episodes of S2 last night and I knew they were dangling it but I thought they’d drag it out for a few more episodes.

Nathan’s thing does kind of write itself but I don’t necessarily think that’ll make it bad. This whole thing is just the most obvious setup for Rupert to tell Nathan he’s going to buy his childhood home and poo poo in every room. I don’t like seeing the characters set against each other after I’ve gotten comfortable with them, so this whole thing felt like it put me on edge.

Still a strong start.

Also for the record I accidentally grabbed an edible instead of a regular cookie right before I watched Beard After Hours when it first came out and lemme tell you.. I think /I/ was completely changed as a person..

E: Also, I know everyone is emotional right now, but please learn to close your laptops like normal people. So many macbooks slammed shut I thought I was watching an advert for AppleCare+

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 16, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I know jack poo poo about soccer but isn't it rather expected that a recently promoted team will face rough sledding when it moves up to a higher tier?

Also didn't Rupert buy West Ham when it was already in the premier league? I get that they're trying to manufacture an underdog story but Rebecca already did something with Richmond that Rupert never managed to. Seems like the obvious retort is that Rupert's a fair weather fan paying to win what he never could.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes. It's even a thing that some teams will consistently bounce between promotion and relegation because the extra money they get from the Premier league allows them to spend more to be better than other Championship teams but not better than teams that are in the Premier league all the time.

That said there is usually some differences in predictions on who is going to be dead last.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

To add more flavor to this, there have only been 3 seasons in the Premier League era (1992 - present) in which none of the promoted teams were relegated. Or, put another way, in 27 of 30 (or however many) premier league seasons, at least one of the newly promoted teams was immediately relegated back to the Championship.

That said, it's also not a given that all promoted teams are going to struggle. Fulham, for example, were just promoted this year and are currently in the race to claim one of the spots that gets into the European competitions. Ditto for Brentford, who are in their second year of the Prem. So there can be some variety in how promoted teams fare. And there's always usually a team or two that, after several years (or decades) in the Prem, have come up against a financial and/or talent wall and sink like a stone.

As it relates to Ted Lasso, it's definitely feasible that they would be predicted to struggle by most major news outlets, though I agree the uniformity of people picking them to finish last is probably more for dramatic flare than actual basis in reality.

Also, I enjoyed this season premier very much and am really excited to see where all the plot threads go!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
even if it doesn't happen until after the season is over, I'd be interested to hear more about what happened with the rewrites.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s probably worth remembering that Richmond were a Premiership team just the year prior (supposed to be a staple? I don’t remember) and the reason they were relegated was because Rebecca wanted to tank them out of spite and caused a bunch of damage early on that they couldn’t get out of.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Am I the only one who felt this one was a little off? Was not a fan of the way Ted kept making self-deprecating jokes at the news conference. His answer about Nate was great, and the first joke or two was fine, but that just seemed too long and indulgent, so much that I worried he was about to spiral down into depression or another panic attack or something. And it seemed a little too pat for all the journalists to just go along with his little five-minute routine.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

He will probably have a panic attack with the news that his son has a new dad

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, look at them from at outside perspective which doesn’t know plot tropes. They lost Roy Kent and struggled until they found a brilliant coach with amazing plays, and even with that they just barely squeaked into promotion due to a single penalty kick.

Now, they still have the same players, they’ve lost the brilliant tactical coach to West Ham, and it’s been revealed that the head coach is now having panic attacks and regularly leaving the field. So they’re clearly not even going to perform at the marginal level that got them into the premier league; it’s not hard to expect that they’ll get relegated again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lister posted:

My problem with this thinking (and I'm sure that's where it's going), is that the vast vast majority of twitter reactions to him getting named manager of West Ham would've been negative. He was a kit man two seasons ago, jumping from that to manager of a Premier Club would've had practically the entirety of the fanbase shouting for Rupert to sell because what the hell is he thinking. Now I get it from a "oh he's screwing over Ted and Rebecca", but make him an assistant or something. I'm a big soccer fan so I do my best to ignore a bunch of the not even close to authentic stuff, but this one is a streeeeeeeeeeeeetch.

Also Nate would've been driving away from their training facility, not the stadium, but that wouldn't have been nearly as asthetically pleasing, ha.