Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I did have a moment last night where I had to wonder A) why the writers chose West Ham of all teams to be this season's antagonist team and B) how West Ham feels about being cast as the villain in a popular TV show. At least City made sense, given their decade of domination.

Could always be something dull and technical, I suppose, like maybe West Ham were the only London PL team that agreed to let the crew film in their facilities or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I liked Rupert's Emperor Palpatine window that he can look out of and ponder evil from.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I did have a moment last night where I had to wonder A) why the writers chose West Ham of all teams to be this season's antagonist team and B) how West Ham feels about being cast as the villain in a popular TV show. At least City made sense, given their decade of domination.

The thing is, it had to be a club Rupert could believably purchase, and Man City certainly isn't that. West Ham is just mid enough that you can believe Rupert sweeping in and buying it.

Also, loving Nate :argh:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

howe_sam posted:

The thing is, it had to be a club Rupert could believably purchase, and Man City certainly isn't that. West Ham is just mid enough that you can believe Rupert sweeping in and buying it.

Also, loving Nate :argh:

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Probably also helps that West Ham's fanbase has been largely antagonistic toward their ownership over the last few years, which makes the Rupert takeover more plausible.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Definitely feels like the 4-4-2 will be a major contrast. Nate wouldn’t do a 4-4-2 even if it was objectively the best option because it’s not clever enough? Can’t be the Wonder Kid with a 4-4-2

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

reject modernity, embrace tradition

the 4-4-2 is iconic for a REASON

but lmao if that’s what proves to be Nate’s undoing. believing he’s too clever to possibly bother with a classic formation would be such a perfect downfall.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I did have a moment last night where I had to wonder A) why the writers chose West Ham of all teams to be this season's antagonist team

because gently caress West Ham :colbert:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

George H.W. oval office posted:

He will probably have a panic attack with the news that his son has a new dad

seems the most likely thing

had a nice lol at all the papers putting west ham as a top 4 lock.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the escape goat posted:

reject modernity, embrace tradition

the 4-4-2 is iconic for a REASON

For us non-soccer fans why is that?

I assume its like the 3-4 Defense in football, everything is based off it practically.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

For us non-soccer fans why is that?

I assume its like the 3-4 Defense in football, everything is based off it practically.

4-4-2 means 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 attackers. It was such the standard for a long time that most awards for best team/all-star are based on 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 attackers. Most modern innovative formations (like the false 9 of previous season) are variations of 4-4-2. A false 9 means a playmaker that on offense behaves like a playmaker and a striker, so that the 4-4-2 moves to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (depending on how the false 9 is playing.). So 4-4-2 is the base, and most other styles are variations on that theme.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I was fully expecting Sam to get dropped from the billionaire's helicopter the second he left with him.

Also why does Ted's favorite book have to be by Ayn loving Rand? Nobody slogs through that heap and comes out thinking it's a good underdog story while not also becoming a rabid libertarian.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

joepinetree posted:

4-4-2 means 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 attackers. It was such the standard for a long time that most awards for best team/all-star are based on 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 attackers. Most modern innovative formations (like the false 9 of previous season) are variations of 4-4-2. A false 9 means a playmaker that on offense behaves like a playmaker and a striker, so that the 4-4-2 moves to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (depending on how the false 9 is playing.). So 4-4-2 is the base, and most other styles are variations on that theme.

hell yeah, thank you for explaining it far clearer than I’d be able to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

the escape goat posted:

hell yeah, thank you for explaining it far clearer than I’d be able to.

Roy wasn't wrong about it being the thing they have played with since they were kids, either. It is the formation that was being played in my US youth soccer league since we were old enough to understand more than "is ball, go chase".

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
On my first watch I somehow missed Roy Terminator-walking after Ted told everyone else to race to the bus. :lol:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He told everyone except Roy to race to the bus.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1637878781007282177?s=20

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I enjoyed the second episode, good plot development, not wasting time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New episode is up.

Interesting final shot of Ted.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Anthony Head deserves every bit of credit for his small but mighty role of Rupert. He has the pick ex husband thing down pat.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’m glad they’re bringing in a new character to be a total prick and ruin the team dynamic rather than do the standard sitcom thing of making an existing character suddenly go through an unbelievable change in personality.

And yeah, Anthony Head plays smug douchebag really really well.

Edit:
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more amused I am that the message that the show repeats over and over again is "Everyone comes from somewhere and has their reasons for why they are, and everyone wants to be loved and has a reason to be loved and appreciated. Except Rupert. He's a complete fuckknuckle."

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 23, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I’m not a Star Wars fan, but I appreciate how hard the costume & set designers are going in on making him the darth vader of the show

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zlatan meets Ted Lasso should be fun.

The whole farce in the locker room at the start of the episode had me howling.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Will is a much better kitman than Nate.

"What's a CD?"

And cowering in the boot room while Jamie and Roy talked.

Speaking of... Jamie going to Roy to comfort him over the breakup (and even attempt a hug) was a huge bit of growth.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

Also why does Ted's favorite book have to be by Ayn loving Rand? Nobody slogs through that heap and comes out thinking it's a good underdog story while not also becoming a rabid libertarian.

The show acts like West Ham is some enormous, always wins challenge to overcome in the Premier League. Ayn Rand writing good underdog stories is much more believable than that.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Booted up the TV app to find that Episode 3 is out already, so that was a nice surprise!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another great episode.

Zava constantly blocking Ted in the locker room
Will: “I’m 25”
Jamie is getting smarter
Jesus Christ Superstar was a great choice
LOL at Zava’s tattoo.
Not sure how I feel about the psychic stuff
Several weeks must have passed and unfortunately Ted hasn’t gotten over his wife seeing the doctor :( Maybe Sassy can snap him out of it
Happy to see Colin get some plot… even if it might not turn out happy for him

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Zero One posted:

Another great episode.

Zava constantly blocking Ted in the locker room
Will: “I’m 25”
Jamie is getting smarter
Jesus Christ Superstar was a great choice
LOL at Zava’s tattoo.
Not sure how I feel about the psychic stuff
Several weeks must have passed and unfortunately Ted hasn’t gotten over his wife seeing the doctor :( Maybe Sassy can snap him out of it
Happy to see Colin get some plot… even if it might not turn out happy for him

I think things will turn out ok for Colin, Trent Crimm didn't make a note of their scene. I would say that the situation is dumb, but then I look at the whole slew of legislated hate going on in the US and unfortunately don't find it that shocking.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Trent Crimm seems to have plenty to write about already but he would probably love to also cover the coming out of a pro soccer player in his book. Hopefully he doesn't play a role in making it public knowledge so he can write about it without outing him.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The theme fakeout at the beginning drew a genuine laugh out loud. Great episode, nice to see Sassy again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wee Bairns posted:

The theme fakeout at the beginning drew a genuine laugh out loud.

lmao yeah that really got me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The ’shite in nineing armor’ bit is waived off as a joke mishearing of ‘knight in shining armor’… but Jamie Tartt is definitely a bit of a shite and happens to play number 9.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

EL BROMANCE posted:

The ’shite in nineing armor’ bit is waived off as a joke mishearing of ‘knight in shining armor’… but Jamie Tartt is definitely a bit of a shite and happens to play number 9.

Yeah. Just based on the fact that they stopped production to rewrite “some number of episodes”, I think we can infer that every scene has impact and influence on the broader story itself.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Zero One posted:

Another great episode.

Several weeks must have passed and unfortunately Ted hasn’t gotten over his wife seeing the doctor :(

Relationship plot line-
prob a bit difficult to deal with his ex being with the marriage counselor that had a front row seat to watch how their relationship disintegrated! it’s not like he’s some random guy, the situation is extremely hosed!

…but if he’s willing to date Ted’s ex after seeing how everything went down, I wonder if we’re gonna learn anything dark or awful about Ted’s behavior oh poo poo

but also the new guy being able to spend time with the son while Ted can’t has gotta hit hard too. ugh why am I so curious about this storyline

that said looool at everything Zava-related. gonna be a treat to watch this all unfold.

EL BROMANCE posted:

ah yes, but will there ever be a story beat to Jamie becoming a false 9? which would be another fun development. totally switching up his mindset on how he approaches the game!

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 29, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ugggggg.

You're right but I really don't want another story about Rebecca dating her much younger employees.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ninurta posted:

I think things will turn out ok for Colin, Trent Crimm didn't make a note of their scene. I would say that the situation is dumb, but then I look at the whole slew of legislated hate going on in the US and unfortunately don't find it that shocking.

My expectation is that it will be a push, but not an immediate expose - both because they’ve teed up several times that Trent is a decent person (him revealing his source to Ted, him apologizing to Roy), and because it would be a very different show if it threw Colin into a hostile, homophobic situation. I think it’ll be much more Colin having to face his fears, and some people being thoughtless or not better than their upbringing but learning to be better, because that’s the kind of show it is.

But I don’t know! I was expecting Zava to be a pre-Madonna (:D) in the sense of being demanding and prickly and refusing to ever share and while he’s doing that to Jamie he’s mostly just weird and off in his own head space. Maybe it’ll ramp up as the season goes on and the newness of him wears off, but right now it seems like he and the team fit together decently.

Anyways, a lot of fun stuff, but I felt like this episode was very much setting up dominoes for later.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
People on AV Club mentioned they thought Trent was gay based on a scene from a previous season. If that’s the case his reaction to Colin is probably going to be a lot different than if he was just chasing a big story.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

skeleton warrior posted:

But I don’t know! I was expecting Zava to be a pre-Madonna (:D) in the sense of being demanding and prickly and refusing to ever share and while he’s doing that to Jamie he’s mostly just weird and off in his own head space. Maybe it’ll ramp up as the season goes on and the newness of him wears off, but right now it seems like he and the team fit together decently.

Anyways, a lot of fun stuff, but I felt like this episode was very much setting up dominoes for later.[/spoiler]

Zava is more than weird he's domineering and he overshadows Ted, a thing that happens quite literally in the episode.

Also for folks who don't follow football, Zava is very much based on Zlatan Ibrahimovich, who's a very colorful guy with a bunch of manic quotes, also a penchant for acrobatic goals.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zero One posted:

Ugggggg.

You're right but I really don't want another story about Rebecca dating her much younger employees.

The phrase doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic usage. The base trope is just a virtuous warrior defending a woman from disgrace or dishonor. Jamie being the hero against West Ham could satisfy this.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Zero One posted:

People on AV Club mentioned they thought Trent was gay based on a scene from a previous season. If that’s the case his reaction to Colin is probably going to be a lot different than if he was just chasing a big story.

That was my recollection as well.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm warming up to Trent more and more, I don't want a heel turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was just telling someone the other day how I thought “prima donna” was “pre-Madonna” for years when I was a kid so I loved that bit lmao