Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

Also for the record I accidentally grabbed an edible instead of a regular cookie right before I watched Beard After Hours when it first came out and lemme tell you.. I think /I/ was completely changed as a person..

Wife and I took acid for the first time, put on Ted Lasso because we wanted to start off with nice vibes, and ended up marathoning the entire second season in a single evening. Beard After Hours really hit home.

There was a real sense of dread for me watching the new episode. There clearly has to be some conflict coming, and wondering what that could be. Richmond is doing too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They haven’t faced West Ham yet. I imagine that’s probably happening in the next episode or two.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

They haven’t faced West Ham yet. I imagine that’s probably happening in the next episode or two.

The future episode descriptions say when that's gonna happen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Shelley's negative football tactical wizardry stopping Richmond's single star player is a classic football plot, especially what with Shelley being a Jose Mourinho kind of guy, can easily see Zava getting injured due to some ethically questionable rough housing and this throws Richmond's season into chaos.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm really loving this season so far. I feel like last season got a bit too bogged down in the wholesome positivity. But that doesn't really work without conflict and good biting humor to balance it out. The tone this time around feels more like S1 to me.

drat this is a great show.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
With them introducing the gay character in the same episode that Zava joins the team, I was expecting a plot line where Zava turns out to be homophobic and the team had to choose between supporting their LGTBQ player and supporting their new star that's winning games for them.

However, after learning Zava's whole deal in this episode, that seems like it would be pretty out of character for him so it's probably not the direction they're going.

Plus if they WERE to go in that direction, and it was resolved in the typical "Ted Lasso" way (supporting their player for who he is and kicking out Zava), it would be too unrealistic, even for this show

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I liked that episode, lot of great bits. I'm still bored by the Keeley stuff. I do not care about her company or her stodgy CFO or her dumb friend. Rest of it is good though.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

With them introducing the gay character in the same episode that Zava joins the team, I was expecting a plot line where Zava turns out to be homophobic and the team had to choose between supporting their LGTBQ player and supporting their new star that's winning games for them.

However, after learning Zava's whole deal in this episode, that seems like it would be pretty out of character for him so it's probably not the direction they're going.

Plus if they WERE to go in that direction, and it was resolved in the typical "Ted Lasso" way (supporting their player for who he is and kicking out Zava), it would be too unrealistic, even for this show

They still could go that way, I suppose, but yeah, it would be really weird for Zava to be homophobic after he said that gender was a construct (I can't remember the exact line but it owned).

e: “Time is a construct, like gender and many of the alphabets." :lol:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 30, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

They still could go that way, I suppose, but yeah, it would be really weird for Zava to be homophobic after he said that gender was a construct (I can't remember the exact line but it owned).

e: “Time is a construct, like gender and many of the alphabets." :lol:
I love the implication that some alphabets aren't made up.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

MokBa posted:

I'm really loving this season so far. I feel like last season got a bit too bogged down in the wholesome positivity. But that doesn't really work without conflict and good biting humor to balance it out. The tone this time around feels more like S1 to me.

drat this is a great show.

I'm enjoying this season way more than the second. I thought we were in for a rough time when one of the lines from Ted's son was something about the political landscape of the USA, but there's been less OTT cringe and I am looking forward to the newest episode every week.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love the implication that some alphabets aren't made up.

I've been grappling with this for days

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Shelley's negative football tactical wizardry stopping Richmond's single star player is a classic football plot, especially what with Shelley being a Jose Mourinho kind of guy, can easily see Zava getting injured due to some ethically questionable rough housing and this throws Richmond's season into chaos.

My prediction: Zava gets hurt -> Richmond does alright without him -> Zava is annoyed he isn’t getting all the credit and spends his time sowing discontent in the locker room

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Roy is drifting a bit too far into the wacky monkeycheese coaches territory, in my opinion.

But I did chuckle at the Julie Andrews bit.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Prediction: Zava gets injured or just decides to leave and Roy comes back one last time to play (and has fun finally!) and goes out on a high note. Tag team duo him and Jamie.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

Prediction: Zava gets injured or just decides to leave and Roy comes back one last time to play (and has fun finally!) and goes out on a high note. Tag team duo him and Jamie.

I think it'll be the same but no Roy and with Jamie taking his place as "best" again and rising to the occasion.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I can't decide if this show would actually have Richmond be champions since it's the last season, or just be about how they finish in the standings vs West Ham

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I think having them win it all at the end of the series would cheapen the lesson of the show a bit. It’s always been about accepting and working through adversity, and even though it can be sweet and optimistic to the point of being saccharine it’s never gone out of its way to give the characters those feel-good endings - see the end of Season 1 for a good example. They even use You Can’t Always Get What You Want in the trailer for the season.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

My guess is that they are setting up Jamie to remind Ted Lasso about the team concept and Zava is actively corrupting what Ted has done to build the team.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Richmond and West Ham play each other during the next episode, according to the blurb on Apple TV.
Nate will have a plan for Zava, I think that much we can agree. Now,

-does it work and Zava is out for the season (injured/more blatantly attacked on field/Nate uses dirty tactics in some way/effectively neutralized in some other core way?) He's already gotten them 6 straight wins and in contention, right? Jamie will need to stand up fast and prove himself to be Richmond's Next Roy Kent, but the show doesn't waste time with advancing the plot so I don't think its out of possibility.

-does it not work and Rupert destroys Nate, either privately or publicly?

I think its been all-but-confirmed Richmond and West Ham will have at least a couple matches in the show, each serving as a frame for its own episode with dramatic consequences guaranteed whatever the result (even if they tie in a match?)

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 31, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the Premier League, each team plays eachother twice during the season - once at home, once away. They could meet eachother during a tournament too, ie FA Cup.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

a huge win for Richmond would simply be to stay in the premiership tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Richmond will lose badly to West Ham in their first matchup but win the second time. Prove me wrong, Jason!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Richmond will now lose both games.

You did this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's soccer, so the big dramatic finale match should end in a scoreless draw.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was curious what the most points you could make but still be relegated is and the record for it is currently held by none other than West Ham at 42 points. Maybe the finale comes down to both them and Richmond playing to decide who stays in the Premiere League after both collapse for one reason or another (then they draw and both stay but Rupert fires Nate anyways).

edit: then Nate follows Lasso to America to help coach a flailing NCAA football team and the final shot is Nate asking Lasso, "what's offsides?"

Tweak fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 31, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, if Apple had managed to get the rights for Sunday ticket they totally could’ve remade the original Ted Lasso ads for NBC Sports but the other way around.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A very ted lasso season:

Richmond get hammered by west ham in their first meeting of the season. Zava loses his form and Richmond go into a huge slump, tumbling down the premier league.

Zava asks to leave in the transfer window and possibly ends up at West Ham, then west ham dumpster Richmond out of the league cup. Nathan struggles to deal with star player/zava and west ham slip to fifth in the standings.

With the season on the line the final match of the year Richmond need only a draw to stay up, while west ham need a win and help to make champions league. Once again Richmond are relegated by a late winner, but west ham fail to make top 4, enraging rupert.

Richmond and west ham both have made improbable cup runs and will play the fa cup final at Wembley. Nathan needs the win to keep his job because Rupert's a dick, while Ted has already made the decision to quit after getting the team relegated twice in three years, but wants to motivate the team to give supporters something positive.

Richmond win the final and Nathan is immediately sacked. Ted hands in his resignation but tells Rebecca to hire the best coach he knows: Nathan. Nathan, now humbled, accepts the job on the condition that ted stays as assistant. Ted realises he's better as a motivator/assistant coach and the show ends with everyone making peace with their past.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spoiler alert.

sad question
May 30, 2020

My hopes for this reason:

Jamie keeps humbling everyone on the field of vocabulary

Rebecca learns a heartwarming lesson to not gently caress her employees. What is this

Roy kicks a ball so hard it decapitates Nathan

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i want Richmond to make it to the Conference League. i want to see them play Anorthosis Famagusta

I was also thinking that Zava was gonna be the homophobic guy but also: Isaac's "that's a bit gay, bruv" comment. New star player being a shithead is one thing but existing team captain is probably more severe for squad cohesion, ultiamtely.

Overall I have to suspend enormous amounts of disbelief, given what they pick and choose to keep from the "real" world of football - I kind of wish they just made up completely fake clubs. The episode about covering up their sponsors with tape rang extremely hollow when they've licensed in Man City lol

if you would like another piece of media about a vibes-based manager taking over a struggling team, I can recommend a manga called Giant Killing, which is about a 35 year old ex-player returning to his old club to manage it and actually goes into (relative) depth about aspects of football tactics and game management, as well connections with the fanbase, local area, and business decisions.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 2, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't have much to say about most of the season so far, it's been totally decent. I can already tell that the whole psychic plot is going to be REALLY loving bad, though. Like what are you doing giving these loving horrible scam artists even a little bit of credibility. Go see a psychiatrist.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't have much to say about most of the season so far, it's been totally decent. I can already tell that the whole psychic plot is going to be REALLY loving bad, though. Like what are you doing giving these loving horrible scam artists even a little bit of credibility. Go see a psychiatrist.

They already had one (well, psychologist), and Ted defeated her with the power of nice

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wow that was a weird and heavy-feeling episode.

I literally had to go look up Vulture/AV Club articles to find out whether "yes in 2023 a footballer being gay would be a huge deal, even as presented in this show". Course the article I read started out saying Colin's car was a Lamborghini so :wtf: . Not all fast-looking cars are Lamborghinis you numptys

But the whole scene at the restaurant was slow-moving and atmospheric in a way that made me feel like I was missing something about the directing. I've gotten trained to look for the significance in every single camera shot, like in any scripted show there is definitely a reason why they storyboarded and set up and budgeted for and shot every single camera cut, there is something significant you are supposed to notice happening every single time it happens. But in that restaurant scene there were a lot of cuts where hardly anything was going on aside from "so-and-so walks by" or "so-and-so talks with their friends at a table". It went on and on and on, and I guess the whole effect of it was to set up the dramatic tension for the Trent/Colin reveal at the end by establishing a nice cozy and significance-free flow of scenes leading up to it. Really interesting how it played, I thought.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm amazed Bill Lawerence doesn't have more writing credits on these episodes, as this show is entirely in the same emotional pocket that Scrubs was.

I really like the way Zava is a shithead. He's charismatic, weird, and self-obsessed, but he's not malicious. It's a fun take on that character. He almost inevitably has to be taken out sometime mid-season, really like the idea of Nate being the one to do it somehow. Maybe by sacrificing one of his own players?

Also happy Trent Crimm is just *around*. Like the character a lot, so his casual presence is great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Holy poo poo they used Fistfight in the Parking Lot during the second half chaos.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also happy Trent Crimm is just *around*. Like the character a lot, so his casual presence is great.

Absolutely, for such a minor character, I really enjoy him. Also loving Jamie's training arc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Writing while watching:

lmao Nate is still just such a loser him at the restaurant is so painful. The security camera footage of him is a great scene though. He really is just a traumatised hurt kid deep down and I find it kinda poo poo when people can’t see that/seemingly missed the entire point of the s2 arc and are just like “gently caress NATE I HOPE NATE DIES” or whatever. There’s a reason Roy and Beard are presented as wrong in how they see him tbh

Are they really having Keely become tempted by Jamie again? gently caress that noise. Also the PR agency storyline still isn’t interesting even with Katy Wix being very funny. If this is how they best try to weave in post-Sudeikis continuation stuff it’s a worrying sign.

Rupert really knows how to play Nate and give him the soft touch which is gonna make his eventual meltdown when Nate does something wrong way more satisfying (on a storytelling level, I mean).

LOL I knew Nate was gonna be in the elevator

Some great commentator stuff in this episode.

lmao the match second half is unbelievably funny this was such a great way for that to happen. Basically just confirming what I said in the first paragraph tbh!!!!! Nate sympathy forever!!!!!!

Shandy sucks lol

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
yeah that second half was perfect

on the other hand i have no idea how i feel about that video call at the end. i get it was supposed to be the carbon monoxide release for ted but also it still felt bad.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Nuclear Spoon posted:

yeah that second half was perfect

on the other hand i have no idea how i feel about that video call at the end. i get it was supposed to be the carbon monoxide release for ted but also it still felt bad.

I think it would have felt better if it was more of a conversation with Michelle, rather than him expressing himself and her just responding with "okay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
how did you guys read her reaction? I don’t know if it was supposed to be ambiguous or if I’m just dumb, but I can’t decide if she was supposed to look pleased at his personal growth at expressing himself like that, or if she was sad/kinda close to tears.