Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Kloaked00 posted:

I think it would have felt better if it was more of a conversation with Michelle, rather than him expressing himself and her just responding with "okay"

this was my feeling! but i couldn't tell if it is was deliberate or if they just can't be bothered to write lines for this side character who turns up twice a season but has a big impact on the main character. it's very weird to me. maybe it's meant to be. i have the memory of a goldfish can't remember if there's ever been a "gently caress's Sake Ted This Is Exactly Why We Separated" conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm a big fan of Nick Mohammad and Nate's character arc, so loved this episode. Great to see the seeds of his redemptive arc start to bloom, clearly he's starting to become uncomfortable with the general vibe around the place at West Ham, being a twat like Rupert is clearly doesn't come naturally to him and you can see the cracks start to show as he picks up on more and more of Rupert's shadier antics. I thought it was really well-executed to see that he regrets how he left Richmond and feels bad at how he spoke to Ted, and the parallel of this with Ted being uncomfortable at the others treating Nate as being completely beyond redemption and as a target of anger, justified by what happened in the second half

Also loved Rebecca keeping it together and scolding Rupert privately rather than confronting Bex with his infidelity, big win for her. Rupert telling Nate to call him "Mr Mannion" in private then "Rupert" in public was fantastic, just the kind of petty gaslighting and power moves you expect from such a horrible human being in a place of authority.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I can't remember if it'd fit the continuity with the end of last season but there's obviously more footage on that drive of Nate spending hours fixing his tearing the BELIEVE sign in such a way that it wasn't even noticeable it had been teared at all. If they stick the landing on Nate redemption, then that's a decent storyline.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

Ted fixes it offscreen, Nate left it on his desk in 2 pieces.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Adrianics posted:

Also loved Rebecca keeping it together and scolding Rupert privately rather than confronting Bex with his infidelity, big win for her. Rupert telling Nate to call him "Mr Mannion" in private then "Rupert" in public was fantastic, just the kind of petty gaslighting and power moves you expect from such a horrible human being in a place of authority.

And as with all such "power move" bullshit, there's a perfectly good rationale for it from Rupert's perspective: It sets Nate up to call him "Mr. Mannion" in public the next time he sees him, so Rupert can say "Please, call me Rupert" in front of everybody so they all get to see that exchange and have it reflect well on Rupert

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I don’t think I noticed it before or if it was just this episode but the first ten minutes was slow rolling credits on the bottom of the screen, forcing CC up into peoples faces. Super annoying.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

scytale posted:

how did you guys read her reaction? I don’t know if it was supposed to be ambiguous or if I’m just dumb, but I can’t decide if she was supposed to look pleased at his personal growth at expressing himself like that, or if she was sad/kinda close to tears.

I read it as personal growth.

And Shady SUUUUUUUUCKS.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Of course Zava would let his children name themselves.

And pointing out that passion can also be a fruit caught me off guard more than any other weird thing he's said.

I want to become Zava.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sash! posted:

And pointing out that passion can also be a fruit caught me off guard more than any other weird thing he's said.

I want to become Zava.

His line about passion was definitely the biggest laugh of the night for my wife and me.

Loved the episode, lots of plot movement again. There’s at least a half dozen storylines going on and they all get real movement each week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Awww, the Grant Wahl tribute in the end credits :unsmith:

The players are such a bunch of beautiful dumbasses. Their reaction to the believe sign falling apart was hilarious.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

And as with all such "power move" bullshit, there's a perfectly good rationale for it from Rupert's perspective: It sets Nate up to call him "Mr. Mannion" in public the next time he sees him, so Rupert can say "Please, call me Rupert" in front of everybody so they all get to see that exchange and have it reflect well on Rupert

Did you just repeat the exact same point that you were quoting?

I liked this episode. Although the CG crowds/weird uncanny valley of the games is mighty distracting. The sideline shots with the coaches all in the one shot looked TERRIBLE. The perspective was all over the place.

The only story I'm not quite feeling is Keeley's. Shandy is painful to watch and her (Keeley's) motivations seem to be a bit all over the shop. What are we sposed to be interpreting with all the weird longing stares at Jack?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 6, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looten Plunder posted:

Did you just repeat the exact same point that you were quoting?

I don't think so? The post I was quoting (I think) was saying Rupert was just exerting control over Nate in order to gently caress with him. I'm saying it's a part of a PR stunt by Rupert, to make sure everyone gets to see him going "Please, call me Rupert :smug:" in a public setting. If he'd not told Nate the opposite in private, Nate wouldn't have been prompted to set him up for it at the party by calling him "Mr. Mannion" as explicitly instructed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw I got what you were going for

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Data Graham posted:

I don't think so? The post I was quoting (I think) was saying Rupert was just exerting control over Nate in order to gently caress with him. I'm saying it's a part of a PR stunt by Rupert, to make sure everyone gets to see him going "Please, call me Rupert :smug:" in a public setting. If he'd not told Nate the opposite in private, Nate wouldn't have been prompted to set him up for it at the party by calling him "Mr. Mannion" as explicitly instructed.

I do agree; it's definitely double-edged, both reminding Nate exactly who's in charge in all circumstances and setting up that cheap "gee shucks ain't I such a humble man" bullshit in the members' club.

It reminded me of Rupert buying Nate a car in season 1; he gets to portray it as magnanimous and generous to anyone who asks, but really it's a reminder to Nate: "I gave all of this to you, and I can take it away too".

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I swear I remember in an earlier episode he told Nate to call him Rupert as well, I'll have to rewatch.

I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, so I wouldn't put a bet on it or anything, ha.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

esperantinc posted:

I swear I remember in an earlier episode he told Nate to call him Rupert as well, I'll have to rewatch.

I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, so I wouldn't put a bet on it or anything, ha.

He did!
So when Nate called him Rupert in private this episode he went back to call me Mr mannion.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sad I’m the only one who liked the use of Fistfight in the Parking lot. Where’s pwn when you need him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-_UwzSSvQ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

And while the show is explicitly laying the groundwork for Nate to “come to his senses” and reject the ethos he’s prescribing to out of his insecurity, his obsession with positive attention and mistreatment of others is so pathetic that I consider him irredeemable.

Shut the gently caress up, Myles McNutt.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Is this the first time the show has been confirmed to be set pre-COVID? All of Ted's texts with Sharon were dated 2019.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Those texts were to Dr. Jacob, the guy Michelle is currently dating, from back when he was their marriage counselor.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
My bad!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
he says to Dr. Jacob’s trump impression ‘I’ve got a bone to pick with you Mr. ex-President’ though?

Not sure the exact date is super important.

I was thinking today it’s hard to pin down what Zava’s character development might be. They all start as two-dimensional character types who through some plot development, all become more nuanced and their motivations are fleshed out. Not sure about Zava though.

Will Rupert be the only major character to not have development? He’s always been the straight antagonist.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 7, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scott Forstall posted:

Will Rupert be the only major character to not have development? He’s always been the straight antagonist.

He'll have to deal with losing two franchises to ex's and seeing the ladies become rivals while sharing a common bond

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Sash! posted:

I want to become Zava.

The name thing came up again when the announced said Zava's three youngest kids were named Angry, Dirty, and Ugly. I can't tell if this was a joke about wacky celebrity children's names or something about how his kids chose to name themselves those things because having him as a father hosed them up.

Either way, the joke was done better on 30 Rock years ago. "We have a tradition in my family where we let the child name itself." "That's hippie non-sense." "Well suit yourself, but my son Spiderman turned out just fine."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sad I’m the only one who liked the use of Fistfight in the Parking lot. Where’s pwn when you need him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-_UwzSSvQ

The second the first slide tackle went out I was like, “oh noooooo”

But then the riff kicked in. 🤘🏻

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYbPcN4JCU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was so set on Nate having someone injury Zava right up until the game ends. Nate knocking the piece of the table, the hand signal, heck even at the start of the match where it looks like he tweaks something going for a goal. I suppose it would have been quite a controversy though if it was found out he suggested to a player to do that, though.

That said, still time for West Ham to do it in retaliation next time they play!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am really wondering what the hell kind of shoe is going to drop with Zava.

Before we met him and he was just a name spoken in hushed tones, I thought for sure he would turn out to be either a) an insufferably smug and egotistical rear end in a top hat that everyone will immediately hate, or b) not actually any good on the field somehow. But both of those are not true, he's as good as his legend suggests and his weird philosophy seems perfectly wholesome thus far, at least no big red flags. The whole team loves him, even Jamie now.

At this point if there's a heel turn coming it's going to have to be something like he's secretly a murderer

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'm not expecting any more substantial out of the Zava story than him being a pissbaby about Jamie stepping up and challenging him for goals for a couple of episodes. Then Ted will get to him.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Zava starts to listen to Ted but only after he takes Ted, Roy, and Beard on an Ayahuasca retreat. Deep in the sweat lodge Ted lets go of his marriage, Roy realizes he was happy with Keiley, Beard figures out his girlfriend is letting him win at chess, and Zava decides to allow Jamie one goal a game- as long as Zava has already scored twice.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

I don’t remember exactly but didn’t Zava do something kinda rude to the guy who opened the restaurant? I felt like that was foreshadowing him being a dick but nothing like it has happened since so maybe I was just reading into a small moment

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I also thought it was a little sus the way he responded to Zoroux correcting the way he pronounced his name. He tried to make it into some bullshit philosophy, like "pronounce your name the way you want to," but I felt there was a bit of an undercurrent there that Zava doesn't like being corrected, or admitting that he could be wrong about something.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Lol Zava is an incredibly pretentious, self-absorbed jackass whose "chill, zen-like" nature is just the result of him being unbelievably successful and unstoppable. There are all kinds of ways to generate conflict with that. Maybe he finally gets challenged in a real way and breaks down. Maybe the honeymoon period ends and the other players start getting really annoyed. Who knows! I assume they're planning something bigger with the character since he's introduced in the last season.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kyrie Irving has imploded multiple NBA teams doing something similar

e: unrelated - I love Jade’s look of pure disdain. I don’t want her to ever change it unless we’re shown Jade being perfectly friendly and laughing with Ted before switching on the gently caress You face for Nate.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 8, 2023

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
In case people aren't familiar with him, Zava is based on Zlatan Ibrahimović who is known for some incredible quotes:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2962023/zlatan-ibrahimovic-35-best-quotes-as-manchester-united-release-him

I'm guessing he doesn't necessarily need to do a heel turn but maybe Jamie's training means there's going to be rivalry later on when Zava sees him as competition?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MokBa posted:

Lol Zava is an incredibly pretentious, self-absorbed jackass whose "chill, zen-like" nature is just the result of him being unbelievably successful and unstoppable. There are all kinds of ways to generate conflict with that. Maybe he finally gets challenged in a real way and breaks down. Maybe the honeymoon period ends and the other players start getting really annoyed. Who knows! I assume they're planning something bigger with the character since he's introduced in the last season.

For us Americans he is acting like Aaron Rodgers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Without Zava being a full blown Bad Person or anything, all of his stuff (up to and including the name thing) is really a sort of Rugged Individualism philosophy where you do what YOU want and what makes YOU happy and the universe will provide. Which works great if you're a Zava (or maybe a Jamie) on the field, but flies in the face of all of the Ted Lasso teambuilding of the entire show. Jamie seems to have fully bought into being part of a supportive team, but is trying to push himself to be as good as Zava in order to ostensibly support the team. Ted is taking tentative first steps towards actually expressing his wants and needs to people in his life but also seems pretty happy with Zava dominating the team because the team is happy because they're winning. Plus there's the runner with the closeted player whose name I never remember, who could arguably be staying in the closet to Keep Everyone Happy And The Team Happy (Ted's philosophy) and could hypothetically could come out because of Zava's philosophy (Do Whatever You Want, The Universe Will Conform)

I am probably wrong and maybe there will be a deep arc of growth for Zava, but he really feels more like the avatar of A Different Philosophy for all of the established characters with arcs to bounce off of.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

nate in the elevator!!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's not important but the characterization of Keeley as clueless about any business ever keeps distracting me. I guess it's theoretically possible you can end up running an agency with a half dozen employees without having a clue where the money comes from or how your company works at any level? But that seems uncharacteristically reckless, yet it's not really being played as reckless? I chuckled at the Corporate Flying Object joke but now I'm wondering if she's really meant not to know what CFO stands for.

What's not distracting me is every text message conversation having relevant recent messages. Love that attention to detail. So many shows have a character wake up their phone to see the first text message ever sent between longtime best friends.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i particularly enjoyed the last message between ted and sassy being an image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

howe_sam posted:

Those texts were to Dr. Jacob, the guy Michelle is currently dating, from back when he was their marriage counselor.

Also, as a really subtle, hilarious, and depressing point: literally all of the texts from Dr. Jacob, his marriage counselor who later started dating his wife, are automatic reminders with the same message sent at a specific point every week.

Like, just absolutely showing what an uncaring shitbag Dr. Jacob is.