Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Instant classic. Top 3 of the series for me.

So relieved they didn't go for the obvious Trent runs a story about Colin and blows up his life and the team (at least not yet). Instead, they served up a Yankee-Doodle-Burger sized helping of the kind of earnest wholesomeness that Ted Lasso delivers with impossible frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I really, really enjoyed last week's episode and I felt like Amsterdam was a Top 3 for the whole series, but this episode was pretty bad. All previous episodes have ranged from 7/10 to 10/10 for me. This was a 4 for me and that's being charitable.

The magic of this show, especially the first season, was how impossibly wholesome it was without being preachy. This episode was so hamfistedly preachy that I'm not surprised at all to see several posters use the term "PSA" to describe it.

It seemed like they made Roy act out of character just so they could show "toxic masculinity" in action. Roy would've known exactly who it was for based on the fact that it wasn't for him. He's become super close the Jamie and now all of a sudden he's jealous of that despite the fact she is actually with Jack now?

Jade reacts to Nate's clinginess by instantly becoming his girlfriend, uhhh okay, sure.

And the Hey Jude thing was cheezy as gently caress.

This was the first truly bad episode of the show, everything felt like characters were doing stuff just because the writers needed them to so they could get their message across.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

I think the real question is, what sort of “presence” would you expect a typical person to have exposure to the premier league?

From my apartment, in western NY, where I don’t watch cable, I have never seen a reference to the premier league. I don’t see people walking around with football paraphernalia, (or at least not something I would recognize since I don’t know anything about the teams) and I don’t go to bars where they might be playing games. I don’t see ads in the general community for it either.

Albany NY (I know not western) has a dedicated soccer bar that has been around since around 2010. My footage of people celebrating Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria made it into the viral video of USMNT fans celebrating it with Rudy music. :smug:

I became interested in the EPL after the Cantona karate kick and playing FIFA games in the late 90s but it was admittedly a fringe hobby back then. Then in the mid to late 2000s Fox Soccer Channel broadcast live Premier League games and I was in heaven. Then NBC got the rights and it became even easier to follow. I see people with EPL gear pretty often, but maybe it's just because I recognize it?

At any rate if anyone is interested in learning more about the EPL I listened to a book called The Club by Joshua Robinson and Jonathan Clegg and it was really interesting. It briefly covers the origins of the game, then the dark hooligan era and the story of how it became the most popular sports league in the world.

As for the episode: a return to form. Solid mix of decent soccer action and character development that hit in the feels without being too heavy handed (for the most part). Rupert is def going to try to bang Jade.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That sure felt like a series finale and it would've been a pretty good one.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Feels very much like last season of GOT where they know where they want everyone to end up and they are just speeding towards the finish line with wreckless abandon resulting in things that seem rushed, unearned and out of left field.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SpaceAceJase posted:

I just realized that Rebecca's mom is the Roy failchildren mom.

Same.

Steiv posted:

I dunno about Nate’s arc, but I definitely teared up at the locker room scene where he and Ted were talking about the sign.

Same, a little. For a show that reduced me to tears at an incredible rate in S1, I was surprised just how little I felt watching this finale.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

They stuck the landing in that the plane impacted the runway with no landing gear and skidded to a halt before bursting into flames. But it's down at the place where it's supposed to be!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

A couple of things that got a chuckle out of me were Barb's joy at seeing some blood, and the callback to the helmeted puppers in the free shot scene.

Good call. Barb was one of the comedy aspects they did well this season. I also enjoyed her trying to get a high five awkwardly from Rebecca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Sash! posted:

There's a huge difference, even if it doesn't make sense, between "he did something wrong or even illegal outside of the public eye" and "assaulted someone in front of thousands of witnesses."

Sports in America is often a weird space where assaulting people on field/court has no legal repercussions.