Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mooseontheloose posted:

For me, its been that Ted is almost isn't around in the periphery of the show. He is the coach and a coach that is suppose to be good and getting players to play to their best but it feels like he has been separated from everyone.

I'm liking this for where the story going. I mean he's legit a mess and it's like he gave in to the easy success and team unity Zava offered. But also you see how not a great course this guy is on in general and is probably keeping his distance because he's horrible at asserting his own needs over anything going on around him. He sees his dad in everyone and doesn't want to be too selfish around anyone. And yet he's still telling people to do what his dad used to say and just count to 10 and calm down and given what we know about how his dad turned out? Good to see some of the darker humor back this season in general.

So far this season is great to me except for Rebecca's storyline. It feels too out of character because yeah, she said she wanted to have a family with Rupert back in the day and seeing Rupert with Becks and a kid now sucks, but it's like no time has passed and nothing happened over these years until her saying that back then and then this one particular meeting with Rupert and Becks? And like her getting to the point of asking of psychics are real, I don't know. I thought she was made of sterner stuff when it came to flat out bullshit, I figured Leslie's brief conversation with her about it would be the end of it. And like her focus on having to HAVE a kid instead of adopting one, or potentially meeting someone who has a kid or whatever, her story's not really grabbing me at all.

When will she realize that the matchbook is actually a playbook etc.?

Keeley's storyline I like overall but her total ignorance of how anything works seems out of character. I've known people actually like that who've been working running a small office branch like that for like 20 years and somehow literally don't know jack about how anything works or where anything comes from. But Keely's whole thing in the past seasons was her actually learning how to run her own stuff for real.

ilmucche posted:

The Keeley/jack stuff hits real weird for me. Keeley and Roy seemed like they didn't really want to call it quits, and fair play for moving on but it's gone to the strange place of hooking up with the person who's financed the company. Not a fan of the weird power dynamics there.

This was the most interesting part of her story so far for me because it happening and also the way she avoids talking about it at all with Jack made me reassess her and Roy breaking up. Like we don't really see them actually breakup we see them have the conversation with Phoebe so like did they really just break up because they're very busy compared to the previous seasons where they were somehow much less busy? Made me think there was more going on there that will get revealed later on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zero One posted:

Setting up a bizzaro-Ted Lasso spin off where every role is just the opposite of their AFC Richmond counterpart.

Call it Nate Shelley. Features a coach with no self confidence, a cruel boss, and an insane PR person. Also Zava as the player turned coach anti-Roy role.

The end of episode 1 establishes Anastasia as the new Rupert when Nate sees her at A Taste of Athens eating like five plates of baklava.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 17, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I appreciated the message of the locker room scene but it showed the weakness of the team this whole season, unlike seasons 1 and 2 whenever the whole team is involved only Jamie and sometimes Sam are actual characters. Everyone else is just a comedy relief "someone says something WOOAAAH YEAH RIGHT ON someone else says something OOOH SHIIIT MAYBE THAT'S MORE RIGHT". It's just especially noticeable here because of the subject of the scene.

Dumbass roundabout way to have someone find out about Colin too.

I get what they're doing with Jack, basically having her just be Rupert but with a smile, but Keeley in general feels so weird and off this season. Like a big part of her character in the previous two seasons was that she outwardly comes off as superficial but with Rebecca's encouragement we see that she actually knows what she's doing and can learn stuff, but here she's completely out of her league in a way that's beyond parody. In this latest episode she realizes that Jack is bad at least.

Like Sam and Rebecca was hosed up but at least it was short and they mutually stopped and the improperness of it was something the characters grappled with, surely that's going to happen next week with Keeley but this has already gone on so long.

I share everyone's sentiment that Ted himself is so weirdly passive and barely present this season. And despite the hosed upness of the Dr. starting that relationship with his ex so soon after working with them, I was stunned that it's shown as something he just needs to move on with and forget about?

Season 1 and 2 had this perfect balance with Ted's wholesome consistency, how the servant leader thing is good but also how he takes it to the extreme of not doing what he needs for himself, and how it stems from him not wanting to inconvenience anyone because of his dad committing suicide, and also had times where his schtick was genuinely really loving annoying for the characters to deal with in a very human way. This season KIND OF has that going on but this episode was the first one of the season where anything with his personal life actually really moved at all. I don't mind if they don't spend a lot of time on the football itself but so little forward motion otherwise really makes me miss it.

Regarding Nate, IIRC there was an interview with the actor not long after season 2 ended that came off like he felt there was no redemption or face turn in store for Nate in season 3, and I know this season isn't over yet but seeing what's happened in the past two episodes I do wonder if that was part of the rewrites. The abruptness of Jade falling for him is bizarre too looking at all their past interactions.

I'm am looking forward to the rest of the season to see if it pulls all this stuff together in a satisfying way or not but dang, this episode but dang, this one was like a greatest hits of all the weaknesses of this season's writing in one episode.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baronash posted:

I thought that was fine, because there's really nothing else to be done at that point. Even in the worst case where that doctor was sabotaging Ted's relationship in order to date his wife, that bell has already been rung, and there's nothing Ted can do that won't be perceived by his ex-wife and possibly his son as the efforts of a jealous ex. Seems like it makes more sense just to let it go rather than let it make him angry all the time.

This is true but (I guess this is more about the pacing of the show than what's happening) but it felt super abrupt like he finds out and then isn't even really allowed to be unhappy about that (even though it's heavily implied that this guy was like using their therapy/patient connection build a relationship with her at the time)? I'm not saying it should be like a dumbass win her back storyline just it felt so brought up and gone relative to how much we learned in succession.

I'm starting to agree with an earlier poster that it was better when Ted's past/general life in the US was learned about in snippets we could fill in the blanks with. Because now it's like, does he want to go home and be around his kid or not. Clearly he prefers sticking with this team to raising his kid, but the show doesn't really deal with that like how the bullying thing just sort of went away immediately because the kid fixed it himself, etc.

fullroundaction posted:

This last episode would have been a really good opportunity to pound that point home, while the characters were temporarily all in the same place :shrug:

I think the show is relatively light in general and just showing that the kid isn't super attached to therapist guy at the end and them even mentioning him being bullying was the most they felt they could do in that respect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SpiderLink posted:

They were all swayed by Rebecca's speech and turned Akufo down. He threw a fit since he's an idiot baby and threw food on all of them.

Given the way the professional handshaker was wiping his hand on the way out I'd like to think Akufo himself didn't physically do it but instead the handshaker went to each one as if the shake their hand and then tipped their plate onto them instead and since rich people are loving morons each one fell for it as he went around the table.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bobjr posted:

They didn't even play up how wrong it was as a therapist dating their client, more Ted needed to move on from the marriage for good, because it was becoming a negative thing from him. It's mostly just the last episode where he's a huge dick about soccer for no reason, when his kid is a superfan of the team and presumably watches any game he can, so it's not like this would be a new thing for him.

If they weren't going to address it then it probably should have just been some random guy Ted didn't know at all, because then the idea that she's moving on when he isn't would come off better.

I really did like both the second to last and last episodes overall though, but the last episode I liked less and less the more I thought about it, ESPECIALLY with how Ted turns out and he just like, returns home to his wife, did she seriously break up with the guy because he was snippy during a single soccer game? How the gently caress did she put up with someone as talkative as Ted? Why did the guy suddenly become a dipshit out of nowhere? Like how could they have possibly not had enough runtime per episode to have stuff like that be so out of nowhere.

Also lol the team being so mad they started playing like Italians at the mere thought of Nate tearing the Believe sign but then they suddenly are all collectively cool with him and actively miss him and want him back.....as their kit man?

When Ted called him over I thought he was going to get some god-tier last minute strategy from Nate but instead he just uses him as a prop to signal that play from years ago, and Nate is fine with that, what in the gently caress?

Some aspects of this season in general very much reminded me of Wonder Woman 1984's moral of "Does some poo poo suck in your life? Are people or some aspect of the system/your job keeping you down? Well, tough poo poo, get back in your lane til you die." It didn't seem like that kind of show on the surface but here we are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sheri posted:

I'm assuming he went home to his house because...where else would he go? Even if they stay divorced, when he left for England he was married and he hasn't spent any significant time in the states since getting divorced. He wouldn't necessarily have a place lined up immediately.

He was probably getting paid like $10 million+ a year the three years he was coaching Richmond.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

Kansas hasn't received hotel technology yet

lol About to see a dozen "It's MINOT not a real city of course Ulillillia is like that!" style posts :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tweak posted:

Is that the first time Ted made it back to the states in 3 years? I sorta thought he went back during the off season at least, but I guess he instead just saw his son when he came to visit?

Yeah he's an incredibly distant father going by the timeline and what we know from the show. If they do a spinoff it should be a time jump to the grown up kid's therapy sessions.