Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Am I the only one who felt this one was a little off? Was not a fan of the way Ted kept making self-deprecating jokes at the news conference. His answer about Nate was great, and the first joke or two was fine, but that just seemed too long and indulgent, so much that I worried he was about to spiral down into depression or another panic attack or something. And it seemed a little too pat for all the journalists to just go along with his little five-minute routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I also thought it was a little sus the way he responded to Zoroux correcting the way he pronounced his name. He tried to make it into some bullshit philosophy, like "pronounce your name the way you want to," but I felt there was a bit of an undercurrent there that Zava doesn't like being corrected, or admitting that he could be wrong about something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Man, this show is really losing me. I always thought it was a little too meandering and indulgent, but this one took it to another level, just a full hour-long episode of durdling character stuff without any real forward progress. There's a director out there that could have tied this all into a much tighter package, more focused on the football season and using the character relationships as the emotional core of the story, and I've been waiting for that to come into being since the start, but that's just not what they're doing. And what they ARE doing just feels incredibly mediocre and saccharine and aimless and just ugh. Such a waste of a cool premise.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Robobot posted:

I’m beginning to think they didn’t have three seasons worth of material to mine out of a 20 second ESPN commercial.

No, that's the really depressing thing, because they totally did. You've got the underdog sports team playing games all season for emotional highs and lows, and you can do a lot of fun stuff with Ted as the fish out of water getting used to a new country, and at the same time as he's showing us his unique coaching methods and helping the players through their problems just in time for them to win the big game, and then you've got the conniving boss that he wins over and her adventures against her evil ex-husband who also owns a rival team. There is a lot of good stuff here!

There's an alternate universe somewhere that has a really great 2 hour Ted Lasso family-friendly sports movie instead of this show. And another alternate universe where they had better TV writers that came up with a much tighter version of this show -- set most of the episodes around the week's football game, have Ted explore the players' various issues trying to get their head right in time to play (or maybe they lose the game and he deals with the emotional fallout), throw in a few jokes where Ted doesn't understand British culture or teaches people some silly Americanisms, and a bit of season-long plot where we learn that Ted's actually dealing with a lot of issues of his own, and where Rebecca slowly learns to appreciate him.

Like, it really doesn't seem that hard! They've got a lot of likeable actors and a really fun setting. They're just all over the map with it. And it's honestly a little bizarre that the football is practically an afterthought at this point.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

bobjr posted:

Even as a coach Roy and Beard seem to do all the day to day stuff now, with Ted still not aware of basic concepts like offsides.

This is another annoying thing that comes with them being so apparently uninterested in any of the football storylines. Ted's in his third year now, isn't he? He's spent three years coaching a major league football team (and apparently making millions for it?) and he still hasn't bothered to learn a single thing about his job? If he literally doesn't know what offsides is, then he's completely incompetent, or at least as uninterested in football as the writers are.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Man City's revenue is higher than any MLB or NBA team.

The top 5 highest earning teams among all MLB, NBA and premier league teams would only include the Golden State Warriors.

Okay, and I ask this in full ignorance: where does the money come from? Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much. Is it just from like, television syndication and stuff like that for the league itself? Does the Premier League get much play outside of Britain?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

As for the last sentence in your post...I mean, come on. Does it get much play outside of Britain? Buddy, it's the most televised sports league in the world.

Honestly, even that is news to me haha. I don't think you understand how little the average American knows about how football works around the globe. Why do people outside Britain care about the Premier League? Don't they have their own local teams to care about?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I think it would probably be a fair guess to say that for well over half of Americans, the first time they've ever heard the term "Premier League" in their lives will have been on Ted Lasso.

Ding ding ding! It kinda messes with my understanding of the characters if they're all making millions of dollars. They were a lot more relatable when I thought it was a small team earning a liveable wage but nothing special, but now that I know that any of them could retire and never have to work another day in their lives... it kinda makes their troubles seem much more trivial, yknow? And oof, it really makes Ted seem like a lazy moron. Three years, making millions of dollars, and he's still just a "big picture" coach who doesn't know the slightest thing about soccer? It was funny the first year, and it would still be tolerable if he was just a minor league coach making $75 grand, but for the money they're giving him, he should be an expert by now if he had any work ethic whatsoever.

I did like this last episode, though! This is exactly how most episodes should have been structured -- there's a big game, something happens during the big game, we get some nice character work, and then the team resolves the issue and comes together in the end. It's literally Sports Fiction 101, and there's a reason why it works. Much better than 55 minutes of aimless romances and random plots that don't go anywhere.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

but major league was actually funny. and well plotted.

and it had more than one baseball scene for every hour of movie.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

To those who live in the US and weren’t aware of how big the premier league is, I take it you don’t live in large cities? Every large city I’ve been to has had at least a dozen premier league focused bars, usually with each team having their own bar, as well as a few Spanish, Italian, and German teams having their own scene. It has been this way for at least a decade. Larger cities like NYC and LA even have multiple bars for the larger clubs.

Well, it makes sense here because we don't have a soccer scene of our own. But why do, say, people in Italy want to watch the English Premier League instead of the Italian Supreme Division? Does the Premier League tend to draw the higher-caliber players from all over Europe due to capitalism or something? Or is it typical for fans to follow more than one national league?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Adrianics posted:

I know you're not supposed to watch Ted Lasso for realism but it's becoming increasingly irritating that each episode has an incident that would have enormous connotations IRL - most recently Isaac storming into the stand to confront a fan, but also Sam having a Twitter beef with the actual Home Secretary - and we're lucky if it's even mentioned again, let alone that it has long-lasting consequences.

This is a big part of why I was so shocked to learn how big the Premier League actually was. Everything that happens on the show feels like it's happening to a minor league ball club, the kind of team that's important to the local folks down at the pub but doesn't have much more reach than that. I don't many people would notice if someone stormed into to the stands at some minor league hotdog n beer baseball game, but yeah, it'd be national news if that happened with a major league player. Their world just seems so small! It basically recasts the series entirely when I have to go back and recognize that all these things were happening to famous and wealthy athletes on the national stage, and it makes it seem a lot more silly and oblivious.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ted flies home and his plane crashes over the ocean. No survivors.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just downloaded this episode and ughhhh it's an hour and nine minutes...

Is it any good? I might just play with the dog and then go to bed instead

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a name for whatever Jamie Tartt is? Like a chav or whatever?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

withak posted:

“English” I think.

you know, with his hair and his accent, like aren't there a bunch of social/regional groups in britain? I've heard of quite a few:

Chavs
Cockney
Pikies
The Gentry
Tories
Precariat
Mulligatawny
Irish

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

And personally, I don’t think Ted being compassionate towards his friend so an addict wouldn’t go back to jail where he’d likely never be cured is necessarily enabling. It was a very brief conversation that obviously isn’t going to get into the details of his support system.

It's not the brief story we got in this episode, it's how it reframes the episodes we've had of Beard rambling around London getting drunk with his erratic girlfriend.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hated it. Not for being bad as for being so offensively mediocre. Par for the course considering the rest of the season, but I guess deep down I was still hoping for a couple good twists or payoffs that never happened.

I'm sure I'm repeating myself at this point, but this has been really disappointing all the way through, considering how much I like the setting and the actors. It's like you've got all the cool toys but you're not allowed to play with them unless you're playing with your little sister, and she'll only ever play Tea Party.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

also ted and rebecca totally banged that night, they got wasted with beard and his girlfriend.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

What’s really weird to me is that (unless I missed it somehow) they didn’t address that issue at all, to the point where it’s kinda like…why even make him the ex-counselor in the first place? Why not just make him some random guy?

And then his heel-turn into a condescending rear end during the West Ham match was just bizarre, given he really hadn’t acted very dickish at any other part of the season, least that I can remember.

It's utterly baffling. Despite bloating out into hour-long episodes, they still left all sorts of important events to happen offscreen while they wasted time with these terrible little relationship arcs that never go anywhere either. It'd be one thing if they were cleverly subverting the typical sports show or something, or if they had really well-done character arcs that they wanted to do, but it's so poorly-plotted that I have no idea how you make the case for having Zava return to his home planet between episodes so you can tell a story about "Ted's marriage counselor dating his ex-wife, no, I dunno how it ends, we'll work that out by the time we get there (or maybe not)."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah he's an incredibly distant father going by the timeline and what we know from the show. If they do a spinoff it should be a time jump to the grown up kid's therapy sessions.

lol ted really does suck when you get right down to it. Distant father, enables his drug-addict friend, and terrible coach who despite three years and tens of millions of dollars still didn't bother learning how to do his job. That cheerful attitude and mustache really do a lot of work covering for him kinda being a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I don't really think you can argue that he wasn't good at his job. He may not have been an expert at the game (although he was the only one to recognize the off-sides in the final episode) but he knew that and got Roy and Beard to fill in the gaps.

He clearly provided a critical role to the team by being a motivator and handling interpersonal relationships and development.

The motivator part I'll give you, but it's just laziness for him not to have become a reasonable authority on the game after three years of being paid so much to coach football. He would have been a much more effective coach if he knew enough of the intricacies of the game to be able to suggest specific improvements (and not to leave everything to his assistants who, in Beard's case, actually DID put in the effort and learn how the game worked.)

TK-42-1 posted:

the zoreaux name gag and danny going from the nicest puppy dog of a guy to a stone cold killer when representing his country were honestly the most believable parts of the whole goddamn show. and they had a lot of build up to execute well which makes me think they were written long before s3 got rolling.

Yeah, I dunno why everyone hated that, I thought the Dani thing was great, especially the way he immediately became so sweet and apologetic again after the games were over.