Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I hate the stupid "dud batch" trope why can't it just be drugs for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Because it’s so much funnier when, in retrospect, Ted only opened himself up to the beauty of art because he thought it was what you’re supposed to do on drugs, and that the intense personal connection with Van Gogh’s work that could be assumed was artificially enhanced was actual genuine

Edit: phone autocorrected Van Gogh to Van High, so AI understands context and irony now

I just think it's lame that media can never fully acknowledge that psychotropics can be beneficial. It always has to end on the stupid "the drugs were inside you the whole time" message.

Also it just strains my suspension of disbelief when completely sober people think they're tripping balls. Especially someone who had done it before like Coach Beard.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 23, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not particularly bothered by Nate's turn this season. A large part of the show is each character being on their own journey. Nate had an angry meltdown caused by his own feelings of inadequacy, and now with the benefit of some time and distance is realizing he acted poorly. I think he's also noticing that the confidence and people skills he learned from Ted are serving him much better than the money and self-loathing that he gets from Rupert.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

My problem with how he's being treated right now is that I don't recall there being a moment of self-reflection from him.

That was happening a couple episodes ago. He was already starting to realize how lovely it felt to treat Ted like an enemy. The only reason he didn't have a complete about face at that moment is because Rupert was still gaslighting him hardcore.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Depression is a joke and also is something you get over after a talk with your mommy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Golli posted:

All the "what happened after Ted left Richmond" events such as Beard's wedding at Stonehenge, Roy becoming manager, etc, were all just a dream he was having on the way back to Kansas City and are therefore not canon.

This excuses the bad CGI, since Ted probably only had a vague notion of Stonehenge for his dreamself to work with.

Yes, this is clearly the case. When has a character jerking awake after a series of montages ever not indicated a dream sequence? The Stonehenge part in particular was intentionally goofy looking and exaggerated.

esperantinc posted:

Why would Ted dream about people he never met though? The couple from "Beards Night Out" is at the wedding, and Ted never met them. I don't think they were mentioned at all other than that one episode.

Bc the writers dgaf

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Robobot posted:

The show started losing its way as soon as it stopped whole sale ripping off Major League. They had one season of worthwhile story to tell and then spun their wheels with saccharine swill. Not to mention getting super preachy about their swill this last season.

The juxtaposition of Rebecca and Ted’s stories of their parents during the funeral followed immediately by them all singing a group song was where it totally came apart for me. Finding your dad’s body after he took his own life is NOT the same as someone staying with a cheater. Like, what the hell?

Oh god the song. Cringiest pop culture moment of the past few years.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

esperantinc posted:

Yeah I swear there was a bit in S2 where Ted was in with Dr. Sharon and went through the whole ordeal with her starting only with him solo, then Ted came in. I could be off base!

Yeah this is correct. He mentions feeling ambushed and teamed up on, which is why he was so opposed to the idea of therapy.

And can you blame him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think him being her individual therapist is the most hosed up part. Is he still her therapist? Therapists aren't supposed to have any kind of non-professional interaction with their patients.

They don't say but I'm going to go with "yes" because it's the funniest outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't really think you can argue that he wasn't good at his job. He may not have been an expert at the game (although he was the only one to recognize the off-sides in the final episode) but he knew that and got Roy and Beard to fill in the gaps.

He clearly provided a critical role to the team by being a motivator and handling interpersonal relationships and development.