Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

reject modernity, embrace tradition

the 4-4-2 is iconic for a REASON

but lmao if that’s what proves to be Nate’s undoing. believing he’s too clever to possibly bother with a classic formation would be such a perfect downfall.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I did have a moment last night where I had to wonder A) why the writers chose West Ham of all teams to be this season's antagonist team

because gently caress West Ham :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

joepinetree posted:

4-4-2 means 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 attackers. It was such the standard for a long time that most awards for best team/all-star are based on 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 attackers. Most modern innovative formations (like the false 9 of previous season) are variations of 4-4-2. A false 9 means a playmaker that on offense behaves like a playmaker and a striker, so that the 4-4-2 moves to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (depending on how the false 9 is playing.). So 4-4-2 is the base, and most other styles are variations on that theme.

hell yeah, thank you for explaining it far clearer than I’d be able to.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Zero One posted:

Another great episode.

Several weeks must have passed and unfortunately Ted hasn’t gotten over his wife seeing the doctor :(

Relationship plot line-
prob a bit difficult to deal with his ex being with the marriage counselor that had a front row seat to watch how their relationship disintegrated! it’s not like he’s some random guy, the situation is extremely hosed!

…but if he’s willing to date Ted’s ex after seeing how everything went down, I wonder if we’re gonna learn anything dark or awful about Ted’s behavior oh poo poo

but also the new guy being able to spend time with the son while Ted can’t has gotta hit hard too. ugh why am I so curious about this storyline

that said looool at everything Zava-related. gonna be a treat to watch this all unfold.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The ’shite in nineing armor’ bit is waived off as a joke mishearing of ‘knight in shining armor’… but Jamie Tartt is definitely a bit of a shite and happens to play number 9.

ah yes, but will there ever be a story beat to Jamie becoming a false 9? which would be another fun development. totally switching up his mindset on how he approaches the game!

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 29, 2023

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

a huge win for Richmond would simply be to stay in the premiership tbh

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gently caress Rebecca’s “I need a baaaaaby” storyline. she doesn’t even have an emergency contact, and her egotistical need to pop out a homunculus rather than adopting a child is gross.

that said, good on her for dumping that guy at the beginning of the episode. split-scarf wearing dork, those should be reserved for one-off friendliest only.

is this the first time we’ve heard Ted curse?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Zero One posted:

Yeah. The best show on TV is based on a decade old dumb commercial on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8

that’s my Spurs alright, always with the excellent coaching decisions :kimchi:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's payoff from stuff from the first season isn't it? She mentions she spent most of her marriage to Rupert trying to convince him to start a family but he always refused. It's not just a random 'a psychic said something now I have baby fever!' thing.

she’s wanted a kid the whole time I think? and the whole time I’ve been baffled about the insistence on having one vs adopting.
the part where she has a problem even coming up with who her emergency contact would be was pretty fuckin’ dark!

I can’t recall, did Zava say where his avocado farm is? my immediate thought upon hearing that was he’d be doing so in England and I cackled out loud. for some reason I’m now hoping the team gets an avocado gift basket from him for a completely random celebration.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Wee Bairns posted:

Shandy was entirely grating to me and I'm glad that arc seems done.

hard agree but that tantrum was top-notch and we got a cute lil’ buddy in the conference room :kimchi:
(I can’t smell through the TV and in a pleasant change of pace my herding dog didn’t launch himself at the screen upon seeing livestock so it was even better)

:vince:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there is a wild amount of victim blaming anytime there’s a leak. like how Jack reacted and the letter is like, very minimal compared to the massive amount of poo poo folks who’ve had their privacy violated get.

and as someone who has had personal photos blithely passed around, yes loving delete them you creep.

What Jack did is one of the most realistic things this show has ever done.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

being a manager in the Prem isn’t exactly stable or guaranteed; the club I support is on their 3rd manager this season alone. that is at least realistic.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Americans choose Premiership teams for completely arbitrary reasons because we want to watch soccer that is good and it’s a bonus that it runs in winter when MLS doesn’t.

there are loads of Manchester United fans because they were easily accessible on TV, for instance.

I support Tottenham because I’m Jewish and a lot of their support historically has been Jewish. It’s just a matter of finding one random thing and going “yeah sure that’s my team ok cool”

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ilmucche posted:

The jersey gift was pretty good, changing the letter is such a completely wtf?? thing to do

Roy Kunt. there ya go.

as for Danny going cold-blooded, there’s team and country and players will absolutely go all out for country over club with international play. the only baffling part of the international call-ups is that it was Jamie’s first one, what the hell?

Rebecca’s rah-rah “footy is sacred!” was so out of the blue, but at least her character wasn’t motivated solely by “I want baby” now, so that’s good?

Akufo being the KING of petty bitch bullshit was incredible to watch; the “and Chicago dogs because Obama and Michael Jordan!” was a delight. it’s good that the character is used sparingly, but anytime he pops up is a gift.

and yes, 100% watch Shoresey! the only thing it has in common with Letterkenny is the fact that Shoresey is in it, but he’s a really fleshed-out character and there’s a clear, concise arc to the season as well as a spectacular cast. Shoresey gets chirped as much as he chirps others and it feels so much more natural than Letterkenny has in years.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I mean yeah he changed it to kunt, but I I figured even Jamie would know that's a dumb as poo poo thing to do with roy's jersey from his first world cup appearance. I would've thought Roy had already been given it tbh

ah I thought it was a replica oop

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It will never die as long as you have billionaire owned teams missing out on champions league football because they had a lovely season.

https://twitter.com/upshottowers/status/1659514465249796097?s=46&t=CTlNq7gAiEzuvZM2yuJXpw

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anytime I think of the Pep handshake I can’t help but chuckle. he came to my city for the MLS All-Star Game and crankily huffed around avoiding shaking the MLS coach’s hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the dickhead who is a majority owner of the Timbers and the Thorns (Portland soccer teams) was found out to have been covering up sexual assault and harassment as well as domestic abuse for 6 years and STILL hasn’t seen any consequences.