Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I can't stand the Nate x Jade arc - so loving awkward and feels straight out of the mid 2000s when the rest of the show is a decade and half further along

If you told me the writers room was all men I'd believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I dunno the Rebecca storylines are kinda there with him.

Great point. Real regression this season imo

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The episode run times extending well past the original runtime has slowed the show down so so so much - it's lethargic.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Why spend time filming soccer bits when you can film the same couple making out for the 4th time in an episode?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The Champions League also gives eyes to domestic viewers of other clubs that are in other leagues - leading to people gaining affinities for other nations clubs. A notable example of that would be Borussia Dortmund - Everyone likes Dortmund except Bayern fans.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The Lebron James of Soccer, Christian Pulisic brought about a ton of Dortmund fans and maybe in a weird extension, Chelsea fans; surely.

It's funny talking about how big soccer is and where origins of fandom come from - but the FIFA games is a huge part of it, imprinting, family allegiances (even after emigrating), all this stuff leads to massive massive fan groups spreading throughout North America.

Back on topic though: The Latest Episode was definitely a better one of the last stretch of 5 I think, but it still falls pray to egregious meandering, some scenes drag on for so so long.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Side note: if you like your underdog sports shows and Ted Lasso isn't hitting the spot anymore, you should absolutely check out Shoresy on Hulu.

Shoresys unbelievable

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Inverting the Pyramid is one of the worst books I've ever read - it's 90% full of just paragraphs on paragraphs of "And then Wycombe beat Huddersfields on April 3rd, 1919 with goals from Jimison Rexdale and Paul Thames respectively"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

also all the sports cars they all drive?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

It's hard to answer that without going into the whole history about what soccer was and is - in relationship to the working class, and the overall density of England in their cities vs density in America wrt sprawl.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The cost part of this sunk cost fallacy of a show is the increased amount of time spent watching it - good lord these runtimes

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

The Florida Panthers barely squeaked into the NHL playoffs then went on to beat the Bruins who had the best record ever in NHL history - coming back from 3-1 to move to the next round. Then trounced the Maple Leafs who were #2 seeded. And just now blanked the Hurricanes who were #1 in their division. Now they are in the Stanley Cup finals.

Miracles can happen.

American sports have caps that keep the teams all within a similar financial band of competitiveness though - a team like AFC Richmond shouldn't even be close to the top, they're the same team basically since relegation. Man City's squad would be worth 4x more than theirs if you keep the team analogs actually true.

Leicester City winning was a wake up call to all the huge clubs that they need to have even bigger squads to manage the game load of being in multiple deep cup runs year after year - there's so much money at the top lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Chamale posted:

I know nothing about football, but the thing with Isaac kicking a ball so hard it went through the net and the referee didn't even see it happen seemed contrived.

Bunch of this stuff has actually happened in football. There's a whole wiki article surrounding it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPc-Luq7LG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7UXPy0vTo

It even happens in reverse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LDD9AJcmI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

no thank you