Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
There's a few issues for me:

Most of the characters basically don't exist anymore in terms of having meaningful stories or characters. We used to get bits of Roy, Beard, Leslie, some of the players, etc. but all that has been thrown out in favor of stories focused on just Ted, Rebecca, Keeley, and Nate. Even the small bone they threw in about Colin basically went nowhere (yet?). I guess Jamie might have a bigger part in the future? Maybe?

Of these 4 "main" characters, 3 of their storylines are just kind of mediocre. No one cares about Rebecca's baby mama problems, Keeley is doing business largely tangential to the team and doesn't even show up to games anymore apparently, and Ted's continual rehashing of the same issues about his anxiety and losing his family feel a bit played out when there are other issues he also has to deal with that haven't been done already.

The Zava stuff was fun but seemed to really go nowhere since his appearance on the team didn't really change anything for anyone besides Jamie. One would have expected the dynamics of the team itself to go through a big change but no one really seemed all that affected.

Did Ted feel he didn't have a voice as a coach due to Zava's domineering attitude? No, he seemed fine since they kept winning and we didn't really see anything about him while they were losing since the show just skipped past that and focused on his anxiety about his family instead.
Did Beard + Roy run into issues making the team work due to Zava, such as figuring out lineups, strategies, and tactics? No, they just give him the ball and he does all the work.
Did Rebecca + Keeley + Leslie run into issues managing a wildcard force of nature who does and says controversial things? Nope! Shandy! Jack! Babies!
Did Colin getting benched affect him in ways that caused him to do... something? Anything? No, we get several minutes of focus on him which is about him being gay which has nothing to do with Zava!

The show seems like it's veered off from being about the actual team itself and focusing instead on the major characters when the show used to be way more of an ensemble cast of people involved in a soccer team. Remember when Rebecca and Keeley used to actually talk to the players on the team?

koolkal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

??

Roymie owns.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I'm mostly fine with both: they've established Keeley is a somewhat well-known model who dates celebrities so she probably has a lot of sponsorship deals or whatever.

OTOH Nate was a kit man in season 1 and only recently came into income. And he's not really the kind of guy to go out and immediately start spending money; Rupert had to give him a car to get him to stop driving a shitbox. He's definitely someone who would take all his money and just put it in a savings account to save for retirement.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

i cant believe someone wouldnt know anything about soccer or the EPL.

We're all Ted Lasso now

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Ted missed his best friend's wedding?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

Beard answered a question about the therapist in that AMA and made it seem like the writers discussed it for a while but then landed on, “well enough time has passed since she was a patient so TECHNICALLY, LEGALLY it was ok! That’s it!” with their reference for the time period being one of the writers who was just pretty sure it was true.

I love all these post-show interviews because the more people that worked on it talk about it, the more bizarre it all seems.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah he's an incredibly distant father going by the timeline and what we know from the show. If they do a spinoff it should be a time jump to the grown up kid's therapy sessions.

Somehow, his therapist is also Jacob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I legitimately don't think I've ever hated anything more than the "Goodbye Farewell" dance in that final episode. I don't want to meet the person that enjoyed that.

I also hated it and found it weird. They're not a college team or something and Ted Lasso isn't their dad. They're grown rear end men being paid for a job lol