Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i want Richmond to make it to the Conference League. i want to see them play Anorthosis Famagusta

I was also thinking that Zava was gonna be the homophobic guy but also: Isaac's "that's a bit gay, bruv" comment. New star player being a shithead is one thing but existing team captain is probably more severe for squad cohesion, ultiamtely.

Overall I have to suspend enormous amounts of disbelief, given what they pick and choose to keep from the "real" world of football - I kind of wish they just made up completely fake clubs. The episode about covering up their sponsors with tape rang extremely hollow when they've licensed in Man City lol

if you would like another piece of media about a vibes-based manager taking over a struggling team, I can recommend a manga called Giant Killing, which is about a 35 year old ex-player returning to his old club to manage it and actually goes into (relative) depth about aspects of football tactics and game management, as well connections with the fanbase, local area, and business decisions.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
yeah that second half was perfect

on the other hand i have no idea how i feel about that video call at the end. i get it was supposed to be the carbon monoxide release for ted but also it still felt bad.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Kloaked00 posted:

I think it would have felt better if it was more of a conversation with Michelle, rather than him expressing himself and her just responding with "okay"

this was my feeling! but i couldn't tell if it is was deliberate or if they just can't be bothered to write lines for this side character who turns up twice a season but has a big impact on the main character. it's very weird to me. maybe it's meant to be. i have the memory of a goldfish can't remember if there's ever been a "gently caress's Sake Ted This Is Exactly Why We Separated" conversation.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i particularly enjoyed the last message between ted and sassy being an image

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
probably should have clocked it in the yankee doodle burger barn but laughed aloud when i realised in the middle of him explaining it that ted had independently invented total football.

also found colin/trent's chat very touching and i'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't hamfisted it as i thought they might

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

sure okay posted:

That guy will be back. He's simply too charming, too manly, too much of a gentlemen to not being a reoccurring character.

He also has a daughter that we haven't met, and she will also be charming and ridiculously precocious, and there's no way this guy turns out to be bad.

wait until we find out he's besties with geert wilders

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

The Hausu Usher posted:

She comes out of his bedroom in the morning, she’s probably pregnant.

has it not been established she is unable to get pregnant

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
shout out to everyone else who immediately thought of this video at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

anyway here's a short interview with Toheeb Jimoh (Sam) about this episode

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ted-lasso-season-3-episode-7-toheeb-jimoh-interview

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
everything works out for everyone. except the plane taking ted permanently back to the US blows up

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
ted and the marriage counsellor are the same guy

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
went looking for a thing about the ted lasso rewrites and what the gently caress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Sudeikis#Personal_life

quote:

Sudeikis' process server publicly served Wilde with court documents regarding child custody while she was on stage presenting her film Don't Worry Darling at CinemaCon 2022."

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure what to make of the shift to hour-long episodes. It really gives the whole show a way different feel.

it means i am spending a longer time watching this season of ted lasso than i might have, so it has made it feel worse.

anyway i predict that:

the PI found out dr jake is cheating on melissa
after colin gets outed to the squad at least one other richmond player will reveal they're gay
jade will eventually reveal something which dooms the relationship - she will nonchalantly utter the phrase "you never asked" and nate will say "right. well. i'll just be going then"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
them not focusing on the football as much is fine because they don't do a very good job of it, unfortunately they're not doing a very good job of anything right now

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
do you think they broke up because of how bad his rewrites were

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i mean ted lasso has been kinda shallow ever since the oil sponsor episode, while having man city feature prominently throughout

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Data Graham posted:

I will expand on my "contrived" comment earlier by saying two things didn't really click for me about the gay reveal plot:

1) Isaac being mad at Colin because "you lied to me" is a weak twist when up to that point it had been set up through snubs and acid side-eye glances that he was actually homophobic.

2) The fight in the stands being instigated by one gasp-inducing slur wafting out of the roaring crowd kind of goes against everything I had been led to believe about soccer crowds and their famously impeccable levels of decorum

As a series of story beats it works well enough, but it all feels so belabored, like they're stretching for each handhold on the way there

yeah big agree on #1. this show is not equipped to portray and explore actual conflict that arises from some of the issues they explore. sure maybe statistically there's at least one gay dude in your team but there's also likely to be a dude who is exceptionally uncomfortable about it (if not a massive prick).

re 2: might not necessarily have inspired it, but there is a relatively recent incident of a player going into the stands to fight a dude: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/04/eric-dier-confronts-fan-in-stands-after-tottenhams-fa-cup-defeat-to-norwich

also while my first instinct is to laugh at the yanks in here who don't know about the PL, the show does do such a loving bad job of picking and choosing which realities to reflect that i don't blame anyone for being confused about it

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think the thing which pisses me off most is the irrefutably derogatory "that's a bit gay, bruv" comment earlier in the season just not being acknowledged at all. make colin bring it up!! force isaac to reflect on his own behaviour!!!!

the 1% chance people wouldn't be cool with it was not colin getting stuck in his own head about it! it was a direct response to the environment around him! gently caress you! gently caress off!

stupid tv show!!! stupid!!!!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i support tottenham because i don't know how to be happy

TyrantWD posted:

Spain for example has 2 big teams that are several levels above anyone else in their league in terms of followers and resources. Germany, France and Italy have 1.

i'm assuming you're talking about juventus here but i do not think inter and ac milan should be so easily dismissed. although inter milan's finances are kind of very hosed right now

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
yeah the show's pacing is completely hosed by the rewrites so it's just a bunch of weirdly stitched together scenes with a "CATHARSIS" sign occasionally lighting up above the stage. the moment between nate and his dad felt like it's been coming since the 1st season but it still managed to feel very half-baked.

anyway i've given up expecting anything meaningful from the show so akufo coming back was truly a delightful surprise. laughed out loud more this episode than any other this season probably

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the episode is non-linear. it was actually nate who burst in to throw the food everywhere while delivering his resignation.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
lmao at them getting Pep in to give the most wooden fuckin delivery of the plot of the show as an inspirational message. obligatory gently caress manchester city.

seeing Ted's reaction to his mum's stoic, unhealthy selflessness which he's inherited was fun. thanks to Mae for her recital of Larkin, Garth Marenghi would be proud.

one of the better eps of the season (a low bar), but still subject to rewrite pacing hell. monster of the week except the monster is feelings

also the football scenes they do are very funny to me because it's like watching a sunday league game

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Lister posted:

I was very surprised she was in this episode at all. Remember last week when she said she needed to go to poland? Why even bother putting that in? Was it so important to explain why she wouldn't be in the rest of that one, single episode?

motivation to go back to his parent's place so he isn't alone

but yeah weird how making an occasional bit character into a recurring character with influence on the plot without giving her any real interiority hasn't worked out very well huh

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
but he DID independently invent total football which requires an absolutely insane amount of physical conditioning which simply cannot be done in the middle of a season the way the show thinks

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

ilmucche posted:

So is Ted also going to quit between episodes and it's up to Nate to win the title in the last game? City are still up by 2 points iirc so ted could win and not get the title

this is what is going to happen yeah

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
they're going to lose it on fair play after that match where they tried to kill the other team

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the finale wasn't the worst episode but it was entirely predictable. i'm so happy i'm not forcing myself to watch this show anymore

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 31, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

AmbientParadox posted:

The Roy-Jamie-Keely triangle isn't resolved, so I'm guessing that's just meant to be part of the spin-off.

i think her shutting the door in both their faces was a fairly clear resolution actually

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Data Graham posted:

Why the hell did everyone lose their poo poo cheering when Ted said it was "perfect"? Was there some significance to the word "perfect" that I missed?

They lingered on the cheer for like a minute, I was looking around like what on earth is going on

they practised very hard on a thing they did for their soon-departing boss for whom they have a lot of affection, there's not a lot to it. diamond dogs were talking about julie andrews previously (i think roy said sound of music was his fav)

i've been down on the season like everyone else but imo it was a cute scene

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
fwiw there's real life precedent for players wearing masks long after they need to (article is dated March 2023, he was still wearing it last game of the season for Napoli last month)

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/napoli-doctor-why-nigeria-forward-osimhen-still-wears-protective-mask/bltf37bc7c2c9da411e

quote:

[Victor Osimhen] sustained an eye socket injury during a Serie A match against Inter on November 22, 2021.

The injury forced Osimhen to undergo surgery and he was sidelined for three months as a result of the facial problem.

Osimhem returned to action on January 17, 2022 and has been sporting a protective face mask ever since.

"Osimhen is perfectly healed, he's still wearing the protective mask because it gives him a sense of security, but he's healed," Ruggiero told Radio Marte late last season.

"He has his own balance and wants to wear it. Hopefully this mask will be enough until he feels safe and takes it off. Not before then. I have still seen for a check, but as soon as he returns, we will have intense work to do.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
nate sadly died of a blood infection from a papercut he got while making a diorama of jade's childhood home, which she never disclosed the location of

he is survived by his parents who are now the main characters of the show