Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even by Ted Lasso standards this show has been too chummy. Nate shouldn’t suddenly become a good family man and also get the girl. Keely shouldn’t be a successful businessperson and mend her relationships with her staff and embark on a frictionless new queer relationship. I think Ted Lasso works best when it’s about accepting failure and cherishing the silver linings. Everybody wins is some ancient network TV bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Nate storyline would be more palatable if the dude was a more interesting actor. The role isn’t great but he also plays it like a cartoon character.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For the Keely relationship the writers keep writing these awful wisecracks that no human would ever laugh at but the astonishing thing is they meep writing the laughter into the scene as well. It’s the most masturbatory writing I’ve ever seen.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

The scene made it unrealistically obvious what they were talking about in huge big letters, but you managed to take away something that wasn’t there.
I also interpreted it as deleting everything. There was literally a dude who was like “what if it’s not sexy times photos?”

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Their treatment of the leaks is so loving disingenuous. It literally was an iCloud leak and they basically pinned it here on Gmail, even if they didn’t mention it by name. It’s some grand corporate whitewashing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah all I could think about during the Beatles song is how loving expensive it must have been. This is really some penny wise pound foolish poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be fair I think it’s totally possible the character is paid only a modest salary given that he literally has no experience and also the club doesn’t seem like it’s run very professionally. The wealth question is probably the least of this show’s problems right now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s global TV money, sponsorship money and shirt sales

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

How does it get bigger than American sports teams in far more populous areas with more teams competing for that same space, though? That's what really raises my eyebrow. Did I misunderstand that part?
No one outside the US watches American football. Football is more popular than basketball around the world. I don’t understand what you’re confused about.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why do people listen to Coldplay when they have rock bands from their own city and country?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I also didn’t like the Isaac twist; it’d have been much more effective if he was just plain homophobic to begin with. Because homophobia is a massive problem in football and it’s fantasy to not reckon with it.

That said, he could also be fibbing at the end. It’s hard to admit you viscerally hated your teammate. A full, bloody confession isn’t always the best way to move forward.

Part of why I’d like to think that is because I really did enjoy this episode. All the jokes landed, all the stories resonated, from the A plot to the C plot. I teared up at one point. And there was even a bit of real football. All this after I spent a week making GBS threads on this show. I can’t believe how wild the swing was.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wrote a post but then I deleted it because it focused on one bad thing and that would undersell how atrocious this episode was.

The plot line about Keeley’s company is some truly deleterious poo poo about how a rich friend solves all problems. The Nigerian national team thing went nowhere. The Super League plot line is wildly patronizing. I feel like the show goes out of its way to piss off people who watch real world football.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Adrianics posted:

I've been going over this in my head and god drat you are so right; him being fired after some slight against Rupert, or a single bad result, or he stood up for himself in some way etc makes his subsequent depression and his father being concerned for him, and the Rupert line about "some people aren't ready for their big moment" make so much more sense.
Not to defend the garbage show but he literally did that in the previous episode. He shunned Rupert's invite at the bar.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think it’s kinda an indictment of America that it’s not enough for Richmond to not just escape relegation; they have to go on and win the league. It’s such a narrow notion of success and it’s sad for a show that had once been about how to cope with failure.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not just the fact that a title run by a minnow team is impossible; it’s that the show aggressively reminds us that Ted is completely clueless and that his coaching team sees success with basic, outdated tactics.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Also the way the EPL determines its champion is very good, but it doesn't make for compelling drama most of the time. Seems like the team had to do great basically the entire season because otherwise it's not believable they could be in the running. Plus seems to me like this season would be a resounding success for Richmond in real life even if they didn't win the league title, so that drama is gone too.
Avoiding relegation would have been good enough drama, but I’m pretty sure a few of the writers literally don’t know that it’s a thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lister posted:

Jade having blank facial expressions all the time is supposed to be a joke too I guess? It's another thing that seems like it's being done as a joke, but there isn't an actual joke there.
Bad actor

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think solo therapists do become couples therapists for the same people and it’s not necessarily unethical. I might be wrong, though.

And tbh that plot line feels so specific I wanna say it came right out of Sudeikis’s life.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sash! posted:

If you're ownership, management, or coaching and you physically assault someone during a game, that's it.

Woody Hayes, who had coached Ohio State for nearly 30 years and won multiple national championships, got fired into retirement from this https://youtu.be/wEVJyf0ft3I

And that was in the 70s! When people cared even less than they do now about such things!
You speak with so much certainty for someone using a totally irrelevant example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That scene had a real late The Office vibe where everything was just a cartoon