Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the escape goat posted:

gently caress Rebecca’s “I need a baaaaaby” storyline. she doesn’t even have an emergency contact, and her egotistical need to pop out a homunculus rather than adopting a child is gross.

that said, good on her for dumping that guy at the beginning of the episode. split-scarf wearing dork, those should be reserved for one-off friendliest only.

is this the first time we’ve heard Ted curse?

It's payoff from stuff from the first season isn't it? She mentions she spent most of her marriage to Rupert trying to convince him to start a family but he always refused. It's not just a random 'a psychic said something now I have baby fever!' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does the UK league have the same rules as American leagues when it comes to retirement? Basically retiring for a month and then coming back allows you sign a brand new contract with another team?

Figure they wouldn't have a bit about the team getting so insulted they play sloppy this early on the season without a chance to get them so insulted that they play incredibly next time they play West Ham.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 13, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That has felt weird this season, like he's not coaching at all. It's just Beard and Roy pitching ideas and then explaining the rules of soccer.

I wish they hadn't dropped the plot point from the end of Season1 where Beard was starting to lose his patience with Ted because they're professionals paid to do a job and sometimes 'Having Fun' isn't the end goal.

Edit: god, when y'all were comparing Keeley and Jack to Rebecca and Sam I thought you were talking about Cheers.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 14, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She's going to come back with STRFKR being a hugely successfull app, and just as she's about pit Keeley out of business she gets a C&D from the band.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yes, but she'll have thought ahead and created it as an LLC instead of incorporating.

no, they own intellectual rights to Starfucker as music not dating app.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zero One posted:

"So mom, what was I saying? Oh yeah I met a nice couple who invited me to have a threesome."

This commenter at the AV Club nailed it, I think:

The same person also noted:

Was there a booming comedy scene in Amsterdam in the late 90s/early 2000s? I know Seth Meyers lived there for a few years and that's where he met Amber Ruffins.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I do have a slight urge to sell everything and buy a houseboat in Amsterdam.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steiv posted:

Total Football is:
1. Conditioning
2. Versatility
3. Awareness
4. I don’t know what that one is yet, but it’s important

It’s just leaving the door open for a rousing speech about what number four truly means in the final/penultimate episode.

I figure after the hour of dismissing people's suggestions for number 4, not doing so when Trent says 'it doesn't matter what 4 is' is pretty telling.

The four steps are a process and if you don't define the last step then it's a constant process. A 'journey is not the destination' kind of deal

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pokeyman posted:

Keeley is not presented as a successful businessperson, to me at least. She seems to have no clue about anything at or above her level (e.g. not thinking of Jack as her boss, what's a CFO), her workplace seems toxic, and she seems to barely be holding it together. (I'm admittedly making some leaps here as we're not spending much time with this storyline.)

I thought Jack was the VC investor not Keeley's boss. Granted recent real world events have blurred the line between the two

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I must be getting a bit slow in my old age, I'm only now connecting Rebecca's monologue about Rupert showering her with gifts and hows he's treating Nate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

Their treatment of the leaks is so loving disingenuous. It literally was an iCloud leak and they basically pinned it here on Gmail, even if they didn’t mention it by name. It’s some grand corporate whitewashing.

It was an iCloud leak but the vulnerability came from email. The email accounts were hacked which gave the hackers access to the iCloud accounts. The hackers then sent a phishing email telling people to back up their phones to iCloud before the next update for safety.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

esperantinc posted:

They handwashed it away via a phone call, Henry realized he hosed up and apologized to the kid via a rap I think, before Ted could even talk to him about it.

Just a MacGuffin to get/keep on the "Ted realizes he's missing his kid" plot.

I think it's more for laying groundwork that the kid is suffering with his situation, similar to using Hey Jude this episode. It's to establish a pressing need for Ted to leave England and go back to America.

And yeah the locker room talks are always so awkward but at least it's a step above the infantilization from the first two seasons.

"They're just kids playing a game, let's support them." Seems fine until you think about these are professional athletes in their mid to early 20s being paid large amounts to do a job. The attitude towards them wasn't far from throwing up your hands and saying 'boys will be boys!'

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 8, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That doesn't seem to out off place, the whole blow up between him and Ted was kicked off around him not really knowing how to spend money on himself and asking Keeley for help.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Adrianics posted:

Jamie's plotline was great up until the completely asinine scene when the Man City fans, for absolutely no reason at all, went from showering him with abuse to applauding him off the pitch. I loving love the actor who plays his father and it was disappointing that he was reduced to a super-quick silent appearance in prison (???).

I assumed rehab, since the show is largely about people trying to be better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pokeyman posted:

Oh did we know it was that guy? I just assumed it was more offscreen plot to baffle anyone who dared forget a minor character from past seasons (not me I recognized him :smug:).

Yep.

I had him front of mind because they've had him on enough talking poo poo about Ted it seemed like they were setting up for him to grudgingly concede that he knew what he was doing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

stev posted:

I don't know much about company trading (beyond what the psychopaths in Industry get up to) but could Rebecca have agreed to sell the shares to the fans below their estimated value?

She was the sole owner so there weren't any shares to value.

She could simply have an IPO where she says "I'm going to split this company into 100,000,000 shares valued at $20 a share. I'm keeping 51,000,000 and selling the rest."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MokBa posted:

Season 8 of Scrubs is loving great because it had a concentrated effort to return to the feel of seasons 1–3. Season 9 gets a bad rap (it only existed because Bill Lawrence wanted the crew to keep their jobs) but the new cast was pretty solid and by the end it had found its footing.

Ted Lasso would've been significantly better and more cohesive if Lawrence had stayed on.

Lawrence even admitted season 9 taking so long to get its footing was a bit his fault and a bit studio interference. Studio wanted the first 6 scripts before they would greenlight the season and he didn't fight them on it. Once they were filmed and they could see which actors worked best with each other the wrote the back half taking advantage of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I wasn't sure of, would Rupert really have been in trouble of losing his team over a sexual harassment claim?

In America it took a mask off moment of an owner referring to his players as slaves to even begin that discussion.