Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I liked Rupert's Emperor Palpatine window that he can look out of and ponder evil from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zero One posted:

Ugggggg.

You're right but I really don't want another story about Rebecca dating her much younger employees.

The phrase doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic usage. The base trope is just a virtuous warrior defending a woman from disgrace or dishonor. Jamie being the hero against West Ham could satisfy this.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love the implication that some alphabets aren't made up.

I've been grappling with this for days

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Of course Zava would let his children name themselves.

And pointing out that passion can also be a fruit caught me off guard more than any other weird thing he's said.

I want to become Zava.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They totally hooked up, whatever

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nuclear Spoon posted:

everything works out for everyone. except the plane taking ted permanently back to the US blows up

I hope Nate flames out and it ends with him getting on a flight to take over a college football team

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I did enjoy Beard having to get into costume and character to go to the game.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Any time I see Lynx, I think of the line "So smelling like an industrial accident in a Lynx factory and looking like the world's shittest boyband, we hit the town" from the Inbetweeners. Like a reflex.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The only thing that never makes sense to me is how a third of the league is in one city.

In the US, there's a fairly consistent distribution of about teams, with some variation by sport. Like in the NFL, if you're a city large enough to support a team usually means that there's about 5 to 7 million people in your general region or in a city so large that half the market is that big. The only city with more than two teams in any sport are three NHL teams in New York. Even whole states rarely have more than two teams in a given sport. If they do have more, it is because they're California, Texas, Florida, or New York. California's five MLB teams is the most in the big four in any one state.

It is so unusual to me that you'd focus that way. The NHL spent decades trying to overcome that the league was focused on four cities for the first 40 years. If New York had 10 MLB teams and the rest of the country had 20 I'm not sure it would actually be a national sport.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Regarding the distribution of teams in the US, neither 20th century sprawl nor the size of the country has anything to do with it. When the National League formed, it stretched from Boston to St Louis. That was in 1876. The league covered most of the country (there was no major city west between St Louis and San Francisco) and predated the technological ability for sprawl. The group that would become the American League was rival covered the same geographical area, picking up some other cities. You still only saw two teams in the largest cities, between the two leagues.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For a second there I thought he was dead

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok that picture of young Roy was amazing lmao

I'm reasonably sure that I have an nearly identical picture of Real Life Keeley on some old abandoned hard drive that is identical to the Keeley poster.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

....what

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They talk about Richmond not being great in the past, but they were already at least a consistently "not relegated" team, right? I can't remember if Rebecca had gutted the team back when it was more like she was intentionally destroying the team.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You do see it in college football though. UCF went 0-12 in 2015 and 13-0 in 2017.

They're also, year to year, completely over matched by the top level teams. UCF is who you schedule for your early season win.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 25, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My mom's side of the family is all Slovak and Polish and they are exactly like that

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

EvilHawk posted:

I don't know how businesses work but presumably if you issue enough shares you would be able to buy one for like a couple thousand quid. The stadium doesn't look massive and I think is based on Selhurst Park so taking that 25,000 it'd cost each person £80,000 to buy a single share to make £2b. They'd probably issue more than the stadium capacity so taking 100,000 shares would be £20,000 which is in the region of "a lot of money, but fans are crazy and would totally do it".

You also can account for deeper pocketed people buying a large number of shares, in order to set a low price per share. You issue 10,000,000 shares at £100. Some guy down at the pub that wants to buy a share drops the £100. Some rich guy that wants a 20 percent stake in an EPL team is buying 20 percent, regardless if he's having to buy 2 shares or 4,000,000 shares to get there.

Or you just ignore the valuation completely. The Green Bay Packers are valued at $7.5 billion and there's 5,000,000 shares. They last time they sold shares, they were $300.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CPColin posted:

Green Bay shares aren't real though

They are in the sense that no one else owns the team. There's no main owner. The whole arrangement is strange.

To add: shareholders do get to vote for the president and board of directors, which is pretty much all you're getting when you own one share of any other company.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 2, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frasier grappled with the ethical issues of it more and he was an walking ethical disaster.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I wasn't sure of, would Rupert really have been in trouble of losing his team over a sexual harassment claim?

In America it took a mask off moment of an owner referring to his players as slaves to even begin that discussion.

If you're ownership, management, or coaching and you physically assault someone during a game, that's it.

Woody Hayes, who had coached Ohio State for nearly 30 years and won multiple national championships, got fired into retirement from this https://youtu.be/wEVJyf0ft3I

And that was in the 70s! When people cared even less than they do now about such things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vegetable posted:

You speak with so much certainty for someone using a totally irrelevant example

There's a huge difference, even if it doesn't make sense, between "he did something wrong or even illegal outside of the public eye" and "assaulted someone in front of thousands of witnesses."