Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

skeleton warrior posted:

He showed genuine enthusiasm and passion for something that was important to him and his family, and was able to articulate that even as someone famous and powerful clearly did not give a poo poo. In a moment when he could have been fake and dismissive to maintain status and popular attention, he instead was open and honest.

In isolation, this would be fine. I think the problem people have is about how they've used Jade as a character up to this point in the show - she's pretty much a cipher who's been inconsistently deployed depending on what they want to do with Nate's character arc.

An obvious example: back in Season 2, Nate's very first words to Jade are that the restaurant is his parents' favourite and he wants to book them the window table as a treat for their 35th anniversary. Their inciting incident is all about him clearly demonstrating that he cares about his family and the things that are important to his family.

However, in S2 Jade is more of an apathetic comic foil to Nate, and the episode arc is all about him learning to stand up for himself - so she refuses to give him the window table. (He then goes on to wheedle and try and use his status to get what he wants, which also fails, and then eventually stands up for himself and gets his way. However, Jade makes it clear that she's just not interested in him regardless.)

For Jade in S3 to now start warming to Nate because he's demonstrated that he cares about his family and because he's willing to stand up for himself feels both contradictory and repetitive. (And because he's leaned into his unpleasant qualities since then without any real redemption arc, it feels wrong as a rom-com structure.)

He had a whole episode about him making an effort to do something nice for his family, and the whole point was that she didn't care! He already stood up to her on behalf of his family, and she justifiably told him she just wasn't interested back then!

I can completely understand why people are saying it feels retrograde, because it does. It feels like something out of an older sitcom where the female love interest's role is to brutally reject the male protagonist for comic effect right up until the climax where she abruptly falls for him.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Given the way the professional handshaker was wiping his hand on the way out I'd like to think Akufo himself didn't physically do it but instead the handshaker went to each one as if the shake their hand and then tipped their plate onto them instead and since rich people are loving morons each one fell for it as he went around the table.

This still has holes in it, though. Most of the guests have visibly been hit by a projectile trail of food from Akufo's end of the table (even the man sitting to Rupert's right, who should really have been sheltered by Rupert's body). Rebecca has an enormous and liquid splatter impact right across her chest and face, suggesting that she's taken a massive hit from directly in front of her. One guest is clutching the top of his head, suggesting a separate attack from above.

Additionally, the sharing platters along the middle of the table all appear to have been upended and the food dumped out, including the ones down at Rebecca's end of the table, and the platter in the very centre of the table, even though it would have been very awkward and slow to squeeze past the seated victims' chairs to reach it.

The actually sensible explanation here (and I like that this show doesn't hold your hand with the storytelling) is that Akufo's telekinetic powers only manifest when he's angry, which of course means the grand finale is going to be a head-exploding scene of mass murder in the Richmond locker room.

Very excited to see the nay-sayers turn around on this one.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It feels (perhaps understandably, given the overlap) like the show has veered into the same narrative lane as Lawrence and Goldstein's Shrinking.

Instead of being a show about a team, it's become a show about the individual problems of a loose group of adult friends who mostly know each other from work.

And so we get a lot of baggy, sentimental individual storylines followed by the characters bumping into each other, having a hug, and reporting back on how they've learnt and grown in the past 50 minutes and how proud they are of each other.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It definitely is deliberate ambiguity, the problem is just that the storytelling hasn't established any grounds for tension or curiosity about what might have happened.

We last saw Nate rejecting Rupert's womanising and getting a death-glare in response, after multiple scenes making it clear that his job performance isn't in question.

We've since seen that Nate is still with Jade and that she supports his decision, so it's not going to turn out that she slept with Rupert.

The show might flashback to give us a climactic argument between Rupert and Nate about Rupert's womanising (or show that Rupert specifically tried to sleep with Jade or that Nate caught Rupert with his secretary who then had to quit) but the viewer hasn't been given any reason to doubt who's in the right and who's in the wrong or what it's basically all about.

All we're left with is 'exactly how much of a cad is Rupert?' which I don't think many audience members are really on tenterhooks to find out.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 21, 2023

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Having two separate scenes where Jade appears to mysteriously vanish as Nate is pointing her out to people (even though in the first scene the boys asked her where Nate was and she would have left from within their eye-line, so it makes no sense that they'd think he was making her up) is definitely up there with the Van Damme namechange as a bit that has the cadence of a joke and is being repeated as if it's a joke but doesn't really seem to be doing anything other than provoking some gently bemused reactions from the cast.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Lister posted:

It seems too frequent to not be intentional. But hey, maybe she was so bad at emoting that the directors think a stale performance works better than a stilted and unnatural one.

It is intentional; the joke is meant to be - as with some of her phrases, like "he seems very rich" or "I'd like you to be not-here" - that she's straightforward and blunt to the point of rudeness/tactlessness/coldness in a very stereotypically Eastern European way that cuts through Nate's very English manners and nervousness. The character just hasn't been used well enough to really make something coherent out of that.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

ilmucche posted:

I can see someone doing that, but weirder is that at a pub in the UK someone didn't pay at the bar when they ordered

I've been to the real-life pub in Richmond, and it's always understandably rammed as it's right by the green and high street, so it was quite funny to see Mae hand-delivering individual pints to each of her clientele a few episodes back.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Alternatively, he dreams everything from 5 minutes and 45 seconds into the show's first episode (when he tells Beard that they'll meet each other in their dreams and goof around) and never actually gets to Richmond at all.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ted’s dead baby, Ted’s dead.

"On May 31 2023, Theodore 'Lasso' Richmond - so named after the brutal murder weapon used in the 34 "Lasso murders' that terrified Kansas - was executed today by lethal injection at Owl Creek Penitentary.

Warden Higgins and Dr Welton oversaw the death of Richmond, who had reportedly spent his final days obsessively watching soccer games in the prison's breakroom."

grobbo
May 29, 2014

quote:

With Nate, I agree that there are quite a few offscreen moments. From an acting point of view, I love working with Anthony Head. If we’d have got to do that “I’m quitting” scene, I’m sure we would’ve had a lot of fun with it. But you have to respect the fact that there’s also an efficiency to the storytelling in the way that they do it. It means that you can then save time for more unexpected moments like the footballers singing “So Long, Farewell.”

"It's good to skip major character moments, actually, because it means we had time to include that awkward song" is truly a brutal indictment.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

I legitimately don't think I've ever hated anything more than the "Goodbye Farewell" dance in that final episode. I don't want to meet the person that enjoyed that.

There's something specifically awful about it that comes down to a combination of the song choice (what works as a cheery performance by the Von Trapps to cover their escape doesn't feel like a moving or relevant statement of farewell towards Ted, but it does feel immediately awkward and twee to have grown adults singing about nurseries and cuckoos), the lack of fun or inventive choreography (they just march past Ted! It doesn't escalate in any way! If you absolutely must do this, wouldn't it be funnier if Roy reluctantly but bravely joins in at the climax?) and the strained, faraway smile on Isaac's face.

Which I assume is in-character nerves rather than Kola Bokinni's soul actually leaving his body, but it still gives you the sense that we're watching a hostage situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Just going to keep adding to this until I have a full season sketched out.

4.01 (59 minutes): Despondent about the leadership vacuum left by Ted, Nate tries to grow a moustache, quote folksy aphorisms, and cook biscuits. By the end of the episode, an inspiring speech from Higgins makes him realise he needs to be his own man rather than trying to recreate the past.

4.02: Roy is emasculated when the Richmond women's team brings on board Marta, a violent new star player who appears to be even more intimidating, grumpy and foul-mouthed than he is. Luckily, in the end, both characters make a speech about how much they've inspired each other.

4.03: Nate's burgeoning friendship with Tess, the women's team goalie, is misinterpreted by Tess as romantic interest. But how will Nate explain to Tess that he already has a girlfriend when he keeps awkwardly stammering and rambling through every sentence? And, worse yet, what if Jade sees them together at the pub and gets the wrong idea?

4.07: A very special episode where the issue of the gender pay gap in sports is resolved by a spirited and civil discussion in the locker room. The Richmond men's players unanimously agree to take a paycut to achieve equity between the two teams.

4.09 (98 minutes): A very special episode where we follow Richmond fans Baz, Jeremy and Paul on an adventure of their own - as they attempt to court Sandy, Taylor and Bettie, three equally clueless Richmond fans of the women's team. Hilarity ensues, particularly when Baz calls up an old friend in Kansas for some romantic advice...

4.12: Edwin Akufo is back! And this time he's attempting to set up his own all-women's league - one that's formed around outdated and sexist stereotypes and misogynistic appeal. However, by the end of the episode, an inspiring speech from Roy's niece makes him realise

grobbo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 12, 2023