Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Apparently the new season is out? Tonight? My wife and I just watched the first episode.

And it feels like it’s starting very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

So many great lines. “After injecting toad venom, he won’t be the same. He will completely change as a person. But after twenty minutes, he should be fine to drive.”

I also like that they clearly and cleanly laid out the differences between the two teams: Richmond as mopey underdogs but who are clearly a team and who love their coach; and West Ham as a brilliant, talented team driven into the ground by a brilliant strategist who can’t be in charge without being a brutal rear end. I can’t imagine that it ends up that simple and straightforward in the end, though.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, look at them from at outside perspective which doesn’t know plot tropes. They lost Roy Kent and struggled until they found a brilliant coach with amazing plays, and even with that they just barely squeaked into promotion due to a single penalty kick.

Now, they still have the same players, they’ve lost the brilliant tactical coach to West Ham, and it’s been revealed that the head coach is now having panic attacks and regularly leaving the field. So they’re clearly not even going to perform at the marginal level that got them into the premier league; it’s not hard to expect that they’ll get relegated again.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’m glad they’re bringing in a new character to be a total prick and ruin the team dynamic rather than do the standard sitcom thing of making an existing character suddenly go through an unbelievable change in personality.

And yeah, Anthony Head plays smug douchebag really really well.

Edit:
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more amused I am that the message that the show repeats over and over again is "Everyone comes from somewhere and has their reasons for why they are, and everyone wants to be loved and has a reason to be loved and appreciated. Except Rupert. He's a complete fuckknuckle."

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 23, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ninurta posted:

I think things will turn out ok for Colin, Trent Crimm didn't make a note of their scene. I would say that the situation is dumb, but then I look at the whole slew of legislated hate going on in the US and unfortunately don't find it that shocking.

My expectation is that it will be a push, but not an immediate expose - both because they’ve teed up several times that Trent is a decent person (him revealing his source to Ted, him apologizing to Roy), and because it would be a very different show if it threw Colin into a hostile, homophobic situation. I think it’ll be much more Colin having to face his fears, and some people being thoughtless or not better than their upbringing but learning to be better, because that’s the kind of show it is.

But I don’t know! I was expecting Zava to be a pre-Madonna (:D) in the sense of being demanding and prickly and refusing to ever share and while he’s doing that to Jamie he’s mostly just weird and off in his own head space. Maybe it’ll ramp up as the season goes on and the newness of him wears off, but right now it seems like he and the team fit together decently.

Anyways, a lot of fun stuff, but I felt like this episode was very much setting up dominoes for later.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

howe_sam posted:

Those texts were to Dr. Jacob, the guy Michelle is currently dating, from back when he was their marriage counselor.

Also, as a really subtle, hilarious, and depressing point: literally all of the texts from Dr. Jacob, his marriage counselor who later started dating his wife, are automatic reminders with the same message sent at a specific point every week.

Like, just absolutely showing what an uncaring shitbag Dr. Jacob is.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, you guys who think Shandy’s storyline is “done” are crazy, she’s clearly being set up to follow through in her threat to start up a separate firm which will look like competition but the completely flame out because she’s a terrible person.

I think the season is great so far, and all the pieces are in place for the Richmond fuckups to really get their acts together, believe in each other, and make it to the end, and it’s weird how much rage there is in this thread for the show being the same show it’s been for two seasons already.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That episode was absolutely amazing. Just gorgeous tales of characters and humor. Every character getting to flow to their zen and grow and recenter.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The whole total football thing at the end was a bit hard to parse, was it just another joke at Ted's ignorance about football or was it meant to signify that although Ted is clueless he has managed to conceive football on the same level of famous revolutionary football genius (and obviously Ajax Amsterdam legend) Johann Cruyff, it didn't feel like just an empty joke to me and it does come as a juxtaposition to Roy and Beard constantly suggesting rigid old school positional tactics, so I guess we're set up for Ted showing a degree of competency (by applying a tactic which is famously not suitable for mediocre teams nor is it a style that can just be easily adopted without intense drilling, but, i mean, lol football realism who cares) for the final parts of the season.

I think it was a multi-level joke.

The first is: there is a standard trope around “fish out of water” characters where, due to their Outsider status, they are able to provide to the protagonist some new esoteric information or new perspective on a situation which allows the protagonist to solve the challenge they’re wrestling with, often to superstar levels because their outside knowledge radically changes the situation, possibly even stretching the bounds of what’s allowable. So the show clearly sets us up to expect that, given that Ted is on drugs (special insight!) and hearing about superior basketball strategies (outside knowledge!), and does a great job of setting you up to expect that Ted’s breakthrough is going to Change The Game.

The second is: Ted was re-inventing stuff that hadn’t been revolutionary for forty years. So the joke is on the audience thinking the story is going to be fantastical (Ted reinvents soccer!!! No one will be able to defend against it! He’ll out-Nate Nate!!) when it’s actually realistic.

The third is that even though it’s not a major revelation which will change the nature of soccer forever, it’s actually still a pretty good idea and leans into Ted’s strengths as a coach. So the flip of expectations in the second joke is flipped again.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 20, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

I hate the stupid "dud batch" trope why can't it just be drugs for once

Because it’s so much funnier when, in retrospect, Ted only opened himself up to the beauty of art because he thought it was what you’re supposed to do on drugs, and that the intense personal connection with Van Gogh’s work that could be assumed was artificially enhanced was actual genuine

Edit: phone autocorrected Van Gogh to Van High, so AI understands context and irony now

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

George H.W. oval office posted:

I guess I missed it but why does she maybe even like him?

In fact all the relationship stories are bad this season.

He showed genuine enthusiasm and passion for something that was important to him and his family, and was able to articulate that even as someone famous and powerful clearly did not give a poo poo. In a moment when he could have been fake and dismissive to maintain status and popular attention, he instead was open and honest.

I really am convinced you guys hate it because you think you’re watching some ESPN inside-the-locker-room drama rather than a modern romcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

sure okay posted:

This episode was preachy and cringey and unfunny, but what sticks out most of all was what Roy did. It's a major regression of the character to ask what he asked, and he knew immediately after (and before, and during) that he shouldn't have asked and also had nothing to gain.

I guess characters are allowed to regress, but it feels out of place and disheartening. We want to root of the guy, and this is a massive fuckup from left field. It's like if they suddenly gave him a huge gambling problem or something.

It feels like a conversation the writer had that stuck with them, and so they twisted a character to rehash the event. It also feels nakedly like a tee up for Jamie's much better response and apology. Just crass writing overall.

Except it’s not a regression at all. Why did he break up with Keely? Because he thinks he’s not good enough for her and wants to end things on his terms. Why does he ask Keely who she did the video for? Because it wasn’t for him, and that proves to him that he never had with Keely what she had with anyone else. He may be great and have grown in relating to Jamie, but he’s still kind of hosed up about Keely.

sure okay posted:

Also the idea that Nate would invite and then presume (to his later embarrassment) that unabashed British Sith Lord Rupert would both attend the Love Hounds meeting and also have anything meaningful to add, implies to me that he isn't actually aware his boss is a Sith Lord (can you imagine how much worse it would be for Nate if he actually showed up?).

...But then in his edited response to Rupert's mean spirited text about Ted, Nate gives exactly the answer Rupert would want, because I guess he does know him after all!

Boy, it’s a good thing there wasn’t anything between Nate’s invite and Nate’s text, like clearly being ignored by Rupert, hung up on abruptly by Rupert’s secretary, and Rupert taking the initiative to be pissed off about Ted showing up and pre-emptively making sure “it doesn’t happen again” that would have been a clear reminder to Nate of what Rupert really expects!