Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm amazed Bill Lawerence doesn't have more writing credits on these episodes, as this show is entirely in the same emotional pocket that Scrubs was.

I really like the way Zava is a shithead. He's charismatic, weird, and self-obsessed, but he's not malicious. It's a fun take on that character. He almost inevitably has to be taken out sometime mid-season, really like the idea of Nate being the one to do it somehow. Maybe by sacrificing one of his own players?

Also happy Trent Crimm is just *around*. Like the character a lot, so his casual presence is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Plenty of better shows juggle both more characters and more intricate plot lines. It sucks seeing them blunder it here so badly. Everything keeps getting resolved super fast and unsatisfyingly. Zava was great, and then he's just gone. Which, sure. But, while that's influenced the background plot, none of the main characters seem to give a poo poo.

In Deadwood, Wild Bill has a similar weight of presence, and also leaves the show abruptly only a few episodes in. But it has echoes for the rest of the show, in actions and words. Here have they even mentioned Zava's name in the past two episodes? Why did we spend so much time with him in the first eps only for it to be completely forgotten? Even if he comes back on Ned's team to better build up the final battle, it's still a giant dropped ball.

The show seems to be really man v man averse. Nearly all of those conflicts wrap up in an episode or two, save Rebecca v Rupert, but the show seems to make every problem really man v self.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I assume Zava will come back on Nate's team, or a team leading up to them to bolster Jamie's plot. Like that they'll beat him will show how far Jamie has come / that their strategy of 'pass Zava the ball' can be thwarted with friendship and teamwork.

I can't imagine they won't bring him back, but who knows maybe someone really invested in the Jack plot won a bet against people with better judgement.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

Also I love how non-confrontational Ted is, with the reveal that he saved Beard from going back to prison after being imprisoned for drug related crimes, then takes him overseas for a high paid job and just nods and shrugs at him having all night drug benders with his destructive gf.

Yeah this is kind of messed up in retrospect. Beard being a competent professional with a wild side is fun. Him being an addict who's gone to prison for stealing poo poo to fuel his addictions... and is presumably only not in prison because now he makes enough money to afford and juggle his habits puts all the previous stuff in a much darker light. It's less non-confrontational and more enabler at that point.

Not quite hate watching the show yet, but boy this feels like a waste of everyone's time. If Zava or Jack doesn't show up in the finale, I have no clue why they took up so much time in the first half. Nate's story keeps doing these jump cuts that keep making me feel like I missed an episode. Oh he quit? Did I miss that? Oh now he works at the bar? Ok? Nothing about his transition from cuddling up to evil to getting the dream girl and finding redemption feel earned.

The one good choice they made was having Trent just be hovering around the locker room.

It's just weird. Nothing feels coherent or natural.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still hate hate hate the character development for Beard that he's an actual criminal drug addict. It just makes all the scenes where we're supposed to laugh at how goofy he is 'lol, he's in a red thong!' hard to enjoy. Show completely destroyed the character by being super flippant about that, and for the sake of a emotional beat in a single episode.

What the gently caress happened with Nate this season. He's just... back?

Show wasn't smart enough to juggle the interesting characters they started with. It sucks that they were given all the resources in the world (presumably. They licensed a Beatles song, bunch of the episodes ballooned in length) and this is what it got used for.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 31, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also, what the gently caress was the point of spending the first half the season on Zava only for him to send t shirts and a big avocado at the end. It's so puzzling.

I think what's particularly jarring is that the show is preaching a kind of emotional maturity and means to achieve it -- but this season none of the bits have been written smart enough to land or be memorable.

Feel like one epitome of it is that we spend a minute watching a montage of fun moments the team had, which we didn't see in the show itself, and in which we don't learn anything new. The team that we've seen loves and has fun together loves and has fun together. Cool. No interesting developments or things learned, just the the show self-congradulating itself.

It's not ending as bad as Game of Thrones, but it's a trainwreck that will make it hard to ever recommend the show to others.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

grobbo posted:

"It's good to skip major character moments, actually, because it means we had time to include that awkward song" is truly a brutal indictment.

This is loving hilarious. The episode run times were as long as they've ever been and it's not like Apple wasn't going to give them whatever time they asked for. And the team singing Farewell isn't even that memorable, it comes out of nowhere with no build up. We felt "lol sports guys singing a showtune was way more important to shoot than pivotal scenes of a main protagonist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

i was trying to think if anyone else really had any kind of resolution to their plotlines and i remembered that the nigerian billionaire trying to ruin sam's life just kind of got bored and stopped doing it lol

Yeah wait did they explain that this is what happened or did I blink? Remember them saying he got to play on the team but missed any justification.

Going to 'House of the Dragon' this show when it comes back with a fourth season. Not going to bother until the whole things out and only if folks say they righted the course.

TK-42-1 posted:

Ted's story was really compelling (to me at least) when he was going through his divorce and having panic attacks. But that's probably because I've been through it and knew it was a really great portrayal of what can happen out of nowhere.

I'm not someone who's been through that, so out of curiosity did it feel like a betrayal that the show takes the 'Ted's Moved On As Best He Can' resolution of the past couple seasons and turned it back into a will-they-won't-they with his ex? That she began dating his previous psychiatrist felt scummy on both her and the doc's end, but then the show leaned super hard into just the doc being an rear end. Hard to view that any other way than groundwork for them to reconcile, which to me felt like a "please disregard our previous morales".