Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the escape goat posted:

reject modernity, embrace tradition

the 4-4-2 is iconic for a REASON

For us non-soccer fans why is that?

I assume its like the 3-4 Defense in football, everything is based off it practically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
My guess is that they are setting up Jamie to remind Ted Lasso about the team concept and Zava is actively corrupting what Ted has done to build the team.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

scytale posted:

how did you guys read her reaction? I don’t know if it was supposed to be ambiguous or if I’m just dumb, but I can’t decide if she was supposed to look pleased at his personal growth at expressing himself like that, or if she was sad/kinda close to tears.

I read it as personal growth.

And Shady SUUUUUUUUCKS.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MokBa posted:

Lol Zava is an incredibly pretentious, self-absorbed jackass whose "chill, zen-like" nature is just the result of him being unbelievably successful and unstoppable. There are all kinds of ways to generate conflict with that. Maybe he finally gets challenged in a real way and breaks down. Maybe the honeymoon period ends and the other players start getting really annoyed. Who knows! I assume they're planning something bigger with the character since he's introduced in the last season.

For us Americans he is acting like Aaron Rodgers.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tweak posted:

Something has felt off to me about this season but I can't really figure out what it is, maybe because of how quickly they've just been jumping into/out of stories? I don't know how to explain it but my first thought after some scenes in episode 1 were as if they were written by a fan who's favorite show ended a couple years ago and they decided to bring everyone back in new roles. I'm certainly enjoying the season and have been looking forward to every new episode, though.

For me, its been that Ted is almost isn't around in the periphery of the show. He is the coach and a coach that is suppose to be good and getting players to play to their best but it feels like he has been separated from everyone.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Steiv posted:

Total Football is:
1. Conditioning
2. Versatility
3. Awareness
4. I don’t know what that one is yet, but it’s important

It’s just leaving the door open for a rousing speech about what number four truly means in the final/penultimate episode.

1. Collect Underpants
2. ????????
3. Profit.

Anyways, great episode and shocking its because Ted interacts with the team and we are talking about the team again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Data Graham posted:

What I thought was odd was how the "point" of it kept vacillating back and forth between "delete that poo poo" and "no we shouldn't have to delete that poo poo" and ultimately I wasn't sure what point the show was trying to make or what stance it was taking. I got so distracted trying to relate it to my own life and whether I have any photos of other people who might not want me to have them or that I would mind having posted on twitter, or getting sidetracked by "wait, ANY pictures of ANY other people?" or other weird hypotheticals where I pictured deleting 30,000 photos and changing all my paswords

I think that's kinda the point of the scene though. Even Isaac's dictum has a bit of self-preservation to it because they know they might get wrapped up in something they don't want to get wrapped up in. It's basically a Kate Upton/Justin Verlander thing. I think it was actually handled decently well because it wasn't like all the boys were like YAY ISAACS right, there was a lot of reluctance and also some question as to whether it was the actual right answer.

The person who should be getting poo poo, outside of Jack who sucks, is Roy. It's not his loving business who that photo was for and he shouldn't of asked. Sure he felt guilty about it but gently caress that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Honestly, Keely feels like its another tv show right now. Like, dropping her plot would have no effect on anything going on with the team, Ted, or Rebecca. It feels a bit focus group that her plot must be included because people like the character.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CPColin posted:

Suddenly remembering that Olivia Wilde was one of the people whose pictures were in the Fappening leak and, uh, that sure adds an extra "oof" to Jack's words to Keeley

I have a hard time telling of Jason Sudakeis is a poo poo head or him and Wilde are toxic to each other. But then then whole, Juno Temple is basically doing another show within the show should tell me something.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

manero posted:

Turd Lasso

Lurd Tasso.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Yeah all I could think about during the Beatles song is how loving expensive it must have been. This is really some penny wise pound foolish poo poo.

Yes but as Americans we all know The Beatles are the only British band to exist.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

All I could think of was the American Dad episode where Roger and Steve get into a spin off and they realize it's low budget so there's no way they can afford a Beatles song, so they start "Heyyyyyy..." and it smash-cuts to them back home

Or Bennan Lee Mulligan singing Hey Jude to get bleeped in Game Changer.

But yes, I miss when this was Major League: The Series: But Football

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

Man City's revenue is higher than any MLB or NBA team.

The top 5 highest earning teams among all MLB, NBA and premier league teams would only include the Golden State Warriors.

I am not an expert in this but earning teams is probably not the best way to look at how popular a league is? Like all North American pro-sports league pool a lot of their money together? Value of the team is probably a better metric?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Ding ding ding! It kinda messes with my understanding of the characters if they're all making millions of dollars. They were a lot more relatable when I thought it was a small team earning a liveable wage but nothing special, but now that I know that any of them could retire and never have to work another day in their lives... it kinda makes their troubles seem much more trivial, yknow? And oof, it really makes Ted seem like a lazy moron. Three years, making millions of dollars, and he's still just a "big picture" coach who doesn't know the slightest thing about soccer? It was funny the first year, and it would still be tolerable if he was just a minor league coach making $75 grand, but for the money they're giving him, he should be an expert by now if he had any work ethic whatsoever.

Again, this is Major League: The Series: With Football and that will help your context a bit.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nybble posted:

It would make sense if we had had more evidence showing Isaac taking the captainship seriously as being the core of the team and someone that people can confide in. But the show really hasn’t focused on him since S2E5.

Maybe the writers think that about his character, but they haven’t shown it and instead wasted tons of time on storylines not connected to the team. Or as much as I love Sam as a character, it’s odd to be to make Isaac the enigma when he’s the captain. can’t have it both ways.

To be fair, he is the team captain.

I thought this was a good episode funny and going for the right message though yah the reveal was cliched and could see it from a mile away. I know they didn't want to steal Colin's plot but having Isaac come out too or having some sort of connection to the LGBTQ community would of made more sense. Or the whole, I was a bully and don't want to be again would of made sense too.

Roy's story reminds of the A's fan that was heckling a player about a miscarriage and one of the players throwing a chair that sadly hit someone else.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also how many of us had to learn how to leave a bad boss? Bad bosses are plentiful and numerous and it takes awhile to develop the skills to deal with them.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If you drop Keely's plot you basically have time to develop everything else they were trying to do.

Also, I too like Bill Lawrence's body of work.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Beard and Nate's scene was pretty great.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pewpay

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

So. Nate. At the end of last season we see him being a supposed brilliant tactician and a complete rear end in a top hat to the people he is in charge of. Ted is clueless but has enough people around that his team can kind of slide by tactically but is also supposedly a super effective motivator and coach. There is an obvious contrast here. This season though, Nate is still brilliant and Ted is still clueless but motivating, and there are zero consequences or effects of Nate being a complete rear end in a top hat, nor do we see this. So either Nate spontaneously decided not to be a dick for some reason and we just never saw it (tbf, we never saw him quit either so...) or he is still being a dick and it has had absolutely zero effect on his team.

What the gently caress.

My guess is that Nate was suppose to have a bigger spiral and/or realize the corrupting influence in a more grand way of Anthony Head's character. It feels like they just kinda abandonded the story half way through the arc, which is a shame because Nick Mohammed feels like a super talented actor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

stev posted:

At least season 8 was a pretty good ending.

The Scrubs original series finale was about as perfect a series finale as one will get and Season 8 was a major correction from it's previous seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I always saw it as Ted knew he wasn't a good soccer/futbol strategist and his strength as a American football coach was getting the most out of his team. He trusted his players and beard to do more on the strategy front so he decided to juice the talent and create an atmosphere.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I legitimately don't think I've ever hated anything more than the "Goodbye Farewell" dance in that final episode. I don't want to meet the person that enjoyed that.

My wife loved it. I told her it felt unearned though I didn't mind the finale.