Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

bobjr posted:

The "Ted's son was actually the bully" plot also seems weirdly out of place in this season.

That moment should have sparked an existential question that should have been raised meaningfully in season 2 which is - what the gently caress is Ted still doing in London?

His kid clearly desperately needs a parental figure who wasn't loving the couple's therapist, and yet he's still in London. In season 1 it's super consistent - he cares about his family but he goes to London to try a big new challenge because his wife needs space, yes it's a bit of an overcorrection but that's part of Ted's character. Why is he still there if he cares so much?

The show tries to have it both ways. It is utterly inconsistent for Ted to both care deeply for his son and want to be there for him and for him to be in London coaching his football team. If he was a good father he would have gone back to the US immediately and taken literally any $20 million contract every college team would have thrown at him. If he doesn't want to leave his team then have that be a conversation - hey Beard I love coaching but my kid needs me, maybe he decides his ambition to coach and do good in London outweighs his kid, but make him own that decision and feel the consequences of it. We never see him give his now utterly voluntary absenteeism in his son's life a second's consideration, even as his son is acting up in school and turning into a bully, meaning the only conclusion we can draw is that Ted is a lovely father.

I know the show can't actually have Ted move back home, but it also can't have it both ways. If you want Ted to stay in London you can't just let him off the hook, you have to have have him confront the effect his career is having on his family, instead the show just ignores it. It even lets Ted off the hook completely at the end of this episode for stalking his ex wife and even pushing his kid into the middle of it by pumping him for information. Just messed up behavior but at the end of the episode the show is practically winking at us that Ted's in some random Rom-Com where Michelle isn't happy and Henry doesn't care about Jake and so all of Ted's meddling and insecurity has no repercussions.

edit: very excited for Jamie to learn the "pass the ball" lesson for the 4th time next episode.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

All I could think of was the American Dad episode where Roger and Steve get into a spin off and they realize it's low budget so there's no way they can afford a Beatles song, so they start "Heyyyyyy..." and it smash-cuts to them back home

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

For sure and if he wanted to he could write his own check at any NCAA team in the US and has no excuse for being absent from his son's life to the point the kid is becoming a bully.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

There is public data about how much premiere league managers make but Ted and Nate are loaded.

Also Nate doesn't seem like the kind of character who gives a poo poo about his apartment he wants power and acts out of spite not for his own money. I can't believe they're trying to redeem him just let a character be a piece of poo poo. His spitting thing is so offputting - I can't get past it to like his character ever again.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

That’s because in this show no choices are actually set up beforehand the characters just suddenly have a decision which is how it works in real life but not how it works in well-told stories

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

So was there really a scene where a guy was trying to pick a picture to use on Bantr, the dating app whose entire point is that there are no pictures on it to allow Rebecca and Sam to You’ve Got Mail?

I mean the show invented the app itself how do you mess that up

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

EL BROMANCE posted:

The amount of apps that change their entire core to become just a generic clone makes that feel fine. OKCupid is now basically Tinder with all of its original functionality essentially stripped.

But the show went out of its way earlier to tell us that Bantr was super attached to its brand and theme when Shandy launched the whole "gently caress a celebrity" thing. I think an easier explanation is the writers are lazy and wanted that character to say something during the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah Nate could write his own ticket anywhere. Really any of the Richmond coaches could because it’s clear their success was about coaching due to the introduction of total football and turning Jamie from a ball hog into a team lynchpin, combined with their meteoric rise to second place. They’d be getting manager requests from everyone.

Nate too - first time managing and his team is the best in the league pretty crazy.