Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Trent Crimm seems to have plenty to write about already but he would probably love to also cover the coming out of a pro soccer player in his book. Hopefully he doesn't play a role in making it public knowledge so he can write about it without outing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I can't decide if this show would actually have Richmond be champions since it's the last season, or just be about how they finish in the standings vs West Ham

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was curious what the most points you could make but still be relegated is and the record for it is currently held by none other than West Ham at 42 points. Maybe the finale comes down to both them and Richmond playing to decide who stays in the Premiere League after both collapse for one reason or another (then they draw and both stay but Rupert fires Nate anyways).

edit: then Nate follows Lasso to America to help coach a flailing NCAA football team and the final shot is Nate asking Lasso, "what's offsides?"

Tweak fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 31, 2023

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was so set on Nate having someone injury Zava right up until the game ends. Nate knocking the piece of the table, the hand signal, heck even at the start of the match where it looks like he tweaks something going for a goal. I suppose it would have been quite a controversy though if it was found out he suggested to a player to do that, though.

That said, still time for West Ham to do it in retaliation next time they play!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Zava starts to listen to Ted but only after he takes Ted, Roy, and Beard on an Ayahuasca retreat. Deep in the sweat lodge Ted lets go of his marriage, Roy realizes he was happy with Keiley, Beard figures out his girlfriend is letting him win at chess, and Zava decides to allow Jamie one goal a game- as long as Zava has already scored twice.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Guy A. Person posted:

*(it seems like Apple is probably going to throw buckets of money at everyone to keep the show going, but at least Sudekis has been consistent that they are still intending to tell the original 3 season story arc as conceived so "fight their way out of relegation and then narrowly avoid it again" seems pretty anticlimactic)

Oh really? I was under the impression it was the final season this whole time

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Something has felt off to me about this season but I can't really figure out what it is, maybe because of how quickly they've just been jumping into/out of stories? I don't know how to explain it but my first thought after some scenes in episode 1 were as if they were written by a fan who's favorite show ended a couple years ago and they decided to bring everyone back in new roles. I'm certainly enjoying the season and have been looking forward to every new episode, though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

sure okay posted:

That guy will be back. He's simply too charming, too manly, too much of a gentlemen to not being a reoccurring character.

He also has a daughter that we haven't met, and she will also be charming and ridiculously precocious, and there's no way this guy turns out to be bad.

Can't wait to see what his dutch styled take down of Rupert will be

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what a lovely show

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

bobjr posted:

It looks like next week is focusing on Ted’s wife dating her therapist , so I wonder how that’s going to go

#4 will protect him

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea I'm waiting for the relationship to blow up and also take the company's primary investor with it. Similarly, maybe Nate's redemption arc will truly will kick off when Jade leaves him once she sees him spit and become a piece of poo poo to someone.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Vegetable posted:

To be fair I think it’s totally possible the character is paid only a modest salary given that he literally has no experience and also the club doesn’t seem like it’s run very professionally. The wealth question is probably the least of this show’s problems right now.

Rupert does seem like someone who would make an incredibly lowball offer and convince Nate its amazing (also Nate at the time was probably more into it for the fame/revenge than the money). That said, still probably an amount to buy out his lease and move somewhere upscale.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i cant believe someone wouldnt know anything about soccer or the EPL.

and Ted hate tea, too???

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I mean he directly disobeyed a request from his boss and as a result beard lost his poo poo in the presser forcing Rebecca to do damage control. I dont think it’s that weird, unless you mean why write the arc at all (could make sense if he becomes head coach)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

yea it definitely felt like that was included because of him breaking up with Keely at the very least

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't frequent bars around 8AM local time during the EPL season to see this alleged large swath of people in soccer jerseys, but not wanting to drink that early is definitely on me

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Side note: if you like your underdog sports shows and Ted Lasso isn't hitting the spot anymore, you should absolutely check out Shoresy on Hulu.

can I watch this before letterkenny or do I have to wait until after

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

this episode felt off, ok i guess but off. Like theyre racing to the finish line and just remembered they have to set up the season (series?) finale and need all the pieces in their place right now

2 eps in and shoresy is pretty great tho

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Data Graham posted:

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

I also thought logistically it was weird, since the people at the end of the table would basically just be sitting and waiting for him to finish flipping the plates of everyone ahead of them before doing their’s. I guess his assistant(s?) could have helped to make it more sudden, it just looked like the end of a food fight except it was one guy making the mess while everyone sat politely

Tweak fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 18, 2023

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Scrubs did have a bunch of medical advisors; including the eponymous Jonathan Doris (JD) that inspired the shows creation, who overviewed everything about the medical stories in that show. Maybe they have an onsite DFO named Leslie who just sort of says, "yea I mean probably that could happen" whenever soccer related stuff comes up

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

crossover, he heads up to the NOSHO

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was fine with this episode except for everything involving Nate, it feels so clearly like something that shouldnt be there. I assume they play West Ham next week? I wonder if the reconciliation for Nate was supposed to be during/after that game across the coaches border or whatever, with Nate being fired for not going for the jugular or something. Once Sudeikis held firm on not doing this anymore, they rewrote it so he could get a feel good send off with a winning team. They then had to immediately positioning Nate to take over now instead of a presumptive later season, which leaves the door open for a show called Richmond FC: Ted Less, so

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

They all individually came to forgive & accept Nate just out of frame whenever Keely's arc was happening in frame

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

often have I heard a variation of the phrase, "if this were a movie people would say it's too unbelievable" referring to sports

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I can't imagine he just leaves right then and there after the convo with Rebecca, surely his conscious can wait one more week or whatever after being there 3 years. I bet most of the episode will be Ted trying to figure out how he's going to tell the team he's leaving while also not wanting to screw up their preparation for the final game. Then he goes and tells them while they're down at half time, but instead of bumming them all out they use it to go out and win it for Ted (then they take 2nd anyways due to final standings).

That or Ted tells Nate he needs to give the speech to invigorate them but Nate only knows how to insult them (or rip up another believe sign)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I had to think for a second because I completely forgot about Shandy

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they don't know about season 1?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

a return to form, I think. Solid finish of an uneasy season, maybe series

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It was so Rebecca could learn she doesnt care about him anymore when she rebuffed his advances. Which for me also undid any humanizing of him that might have happened that episode.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I wonder if someone will release what the original plot was going to be before the rewrites, and what the concern was over needing to do them (though I assume most if not all were because of Sudeikis leaving).

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

EvilHawk posted:

The episode was fine. Whatever, relatively nice end to the show. I could complain more about Nate's entire character/storyline but it's not really worth it.

From a football/sport perspective though, woof:

The chairman of the away team storms on to the pitch and assaults his manager and then just... walks off? There's no security stopping him, there's no police to take him away for literally assaulting someone on live TV, it's all just hunky dory (and then of course he gets thrown out offscreen).

The penalty that went through the net would have been ruled a goal immediately thanks to Goal Line Technology. Wouldn't have even been an issue. Mike Dean would know this.

This might be just framing etc. but Zoreaux clearly punched that ball outside of the area before the offside.

The CGI on some of the crowd shots is just woeful. For the finale you'd expect better.

Why did Mike Dean signal a touchdown at the final whistle that was just weird and bizarre.

I'm glad it's over. Not in a "this was poo poo and I don't want to watch it anymore" way, I'm just happy they managed to wrap it up in a way they wanted to.

Is the owner of a team going down onto the pitch not normal? Maybe it would be different if the owner had to walk through the opponent's sideline first, but you see owners on the field all the time in American Football, just usually not assaulting anyone. That said, if Jerry Jones walked onto the field and pushed Mike McCarthy around absolutely nothing would happen to him, in his own stadium or away.

Something I've thought of before when watching or reading people's complaints about the soccer "realism" in this show, is sometimes the show feels like it takes story beats typical of American Football or generic sports media, then just replaces the sport with soccer. The win streaks, the video review uncertainty, the in season playstyle changes, they all remind of me of stuff that would happen either in Football normally or be in a movie based on Football.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 31, 2023

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they should have consulted nate and made a diorama

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Definitely thought I heard someone say something about getting that, “banger” app

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i know there was a lot of reshoots and rewrites so i was wondering if there were any scenes that were cut that you wish weren’t??

Yeah, about that. The reshoots/rewrites thing has been WILDLY overstated. I can personally only recall that we reshot two scenes; one very busy locker room scene that was because of continuity or something, the other was just to make Zava’s bicycle kick more epic-looking. It was not- as I think the term reshoots implies- dissatisfaction with what we were seeing leading us to throw stuff away and start over. As for the notion of “rewrites” there was no more or less of that that there was the previous two seasons. We (particularly Jason, who has the final pair of eyes on any script) make changes all the way up to shooting, sometimes while shooting. And we always have. Here was a difference for S3: we headed out to London with out a full complement of completed episode scripts, which is not atypical. But this season was so all-consuming, and three of the main writers were so often having to spend time on camera, that we didn’t get to finish some eps concurrently with shooting, as is typical and was what we hoped we could do when we left. This season being maybe the final one, it was essential that we give the last episodes’ scripts the proper care. So there were two pauses in shooting where we reconvened the writers for a while and finished things up. And I think the distinction between “rewriting” and “finishing unfinished writing” is one worth noting.

Granted I guess I wouldn't expect, "yea we totally left a lot on the cutting room floor, the whole original story was axed"

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ted can still use iMessage and Facetime to add in some folksy wisdom whenever needed, or during Diamond Dog meetings!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Beard answered a question about the therapist in that AMA and made it seem like the writers discussed it for a while but then landed on, “well enough time has passed since she was a patient so TECHNICALLY, LEGALLY it was ok! That’s it!” with their reference for the time period being one of the writers who was just pretty sure it was true.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

lol I wonder if they plumb forgot they wrote that line because it makes everything so much worse otherwise

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Is that the first time Ted made it back to the states in 3 years? I sorta thought he went back during the off season at least, but I guess he instead just saw his son when he came to visit?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It would have made more sense for them to have performed a rendition of, "I want it that way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

A more contemporary example might be Jimmy Lake in 2021. Lake was suspended 1 game for swiping at a player, but was ultimately fired (perhaps for multiple reasons, still got paid out). Granted these instances are both a coach assaulting a student athlete, as opposed to an owner assaulting his similarly aged coach. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but the most I could imagine happening to him is a fine for something like, "denigrating the integrity of the game." If he isn't an majority share owner, it does seem more likely he could be voted out.