Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Zero One posted:

Great start to the season.

I'm loving Nate's arc. Still the little child obsessed with Twitter trying to act big. Bouncing from zero confidence to 100 and back again. I also love that assistant who clearly has no respect for him.

Meanwhile Ted (thanks to his team and son) has the right attitude on Nate by the end of the episode. Ted is still supportive which drives Nate mad.

"Poopeh"

Yeah, it was a good soft-reset back to being underdogs even though last season ended with them as winners (kind of). I do hope we get more jamie tart in general after being a big of season 1 and then side-lined the next.

Nate's story seems very predictable though. The moment there starts to be small problems, the twitter reaction will be negative which will throw him off, then his performance will spiral, and Rupert's affection will reverse. Nate will realize that the positivity he was getting at west ham was conditional, but the love he was getting from Ted was unconditional. I'd be surprised if they twist it any more than that, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Sash! posted:

Of course Zava would let his children name themselves.

And pointing out that passion can also be a fruit caught me off guard more than any other weird thing he's said.

I want to become Zava.

The name thing came up again when the announced said Zava's three youngest kids were named Angry, Dirty, and Ugly. I can't tell if this was a joke about wacky celebrity children's names or something about how his kids chose to name themselves those things because having him as a father hosed them up.

Either way, the joke was done better on 30 Rock years ago. "We have a tradition in my family where we let the child name itself." "That's hippie non-sense." "Well suit yourself, but my son Spiderman turned out just fine."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

This episode did a lot better than the christmas episode that tried a similar thing to give everybody a feelgood plotline. Although Rebecca's story was way too rom-com for my tastes. A note like "It's not drugged (I promise)" is not going to play well in 95% of situations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Nate had a big creepy gift that was going to skeeve that poor woman out and was set up to lambast the fact that we used to reward creepy stalker behavior in men and then it got smooshed by a truck, he's the villain of the series right now, and I feel like there's still a chance for her to realize what a weird little incel gremlin he is when fate doesn't intervene to drive a car over that behavior.

So I'll be really disappointed if this whole thing is just a meet cute or the beginning of his redemption. He's a stalker rear end in a top hat.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a stalker, but just like Rebecca and the Dane, his plot is very rom-com. Nate's acting like a bumbling teenager and the man's head is almost fully grey for god's sake.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I don't know the specifics of the leak in real life, but I had thought that it was that images and video were backed up to icloud by default. So even if they'd deleted stuff off their phone, the backups were still there without people realizing it was accessible. That did make me feel like the "hey, delete it off your phone" message seem disingenuous to what really happened (if my understanding of what happened is correct).

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jason Sudakeis pulled pickup artist poo poo on her and it 100% worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nKFVsdhHE

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Taima posted:

It also runs a little counter to what I perceive as some character's arcs; for example Jamie gets dripped out like crazy but his whole arc is coming back down to earth so... idk that just feels conflicting to me. They must be getting that paycheck off the fits though, so whatever.

At least he's down to earth enough to still use a variety of LYNX (or AXE in the USA) body spray products that he generously shares with his teammates when they ask for it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Cutting away to anyone else's reaction also felt lazy to me. Like, no one is going to argue with her? I don't know much about the football business, but couldn't you make an argument that forming a super league outside of FIFA's monopoly would be good for the sport?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Why is this show so in love with Keeley?

She got nominated for an emmy two years in a row.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

I have never been more bewildered by this show than when they started to feed us a palatable/positive twist on Rupert, as part of a resolution of one of the plotlines too!

It could have been worse. When rebecca confronted him about cheating, he could have said "Oh, actually we have an open marriage so she's cool with me loving around as long as I give her a comfortable life."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Speaking of darker light, the restaurant owner going from an enthused fan for Nate to snorting coke in his office and doing untold poo poo under the table. That guy seemed like a well-meaning rear end, but that little scene reframes everything in the worst way.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The simpsons were more succinct on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcfc96Rv5OU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was very surprised she was in this episode at all. Remember last week when she said she needed to go to poland? Why even bother putting that in? Was it so important to explain why she wouldn't be in the rest of that one, single episode?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I think the idea was that seeing all the stuff on twitter fed his ego and from there he choice to be a dick? In general the twitter thing never paid off despite being shown several different times. There wasn't even a little scene of him scrolling through negative feedback of him quitting and then putting the phone down to show that he's moved past his fixation on it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jade having blank facial expressions all the time is supposed to be a joke too I guess? It's another thing that seems like it's being done as a joke, but there isn't an actual joke there.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

It seems too frequent to not be intentional. But hey, maybe she was so bad at emoting that the directors think a stale performance works better than a stilted and unnatural one.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Oh hey, the psychic was 100% right about everything. At least danny gets to be a poly relationship and gently caress two hot girls at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Also, for all that Nate's arc this season was loving pointless, they actually wrote a perfectly reasonable arc for him, just gave it to the anchor-turned-coach guy for some loving reason. Having Nate get fired and humiliated for refusing to assault Jamie makes some sense, and makes the team showing up at his place to say they want him back come slightly less out of nowhere.

That would have worked so well that you've convinced me that was the original plan. Even if it was something else, I can't wait until years from now when people close to the production start dishing the dirt.