Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think there’s still been nothing concrete on whether or not this is actually the final season, right? Although it seems like a good idea to me, loved both seasons but that would be a good three-act story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching season 2 and it really is drat good and the backlash confuses me more than ever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense based on the schedule of the premier league and where they are at that point in the season. Never bothered me at all :shrug: the Beard episode was definitely the better of the extra two they got, though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God I really love season 2. Nate’s arc is so excellent and heartbreaking - although he’s done some really lovely things and betrayed the people who care about you really get a sense of his trauma and how he gets the wrong lesson from everything that happened to him and how it feels like Ted abandoned him and how Roy and Beard just don’t know how to deal with his specific issues so they just tell him off and make him feel smaller. His dad is such a piece of poo poo too. Basically I still have a lot of sympathy for him and expect him to be redeemed and me to cry at it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

“Finish the last level of Breath of the Wild”

Oh the gamers are gonna be mad about that one.

lmao I definitely had an Opinion about that but you can count Hyrule Castle as a level I guess

that’s as far as I’ve got so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao that was Katy Wix right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flanderising the spitting

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like the set design of the window in Rupert’s office. Solid premiere overall. Keely/Roy wasn’t interesting and the beginning of the Nate press conference was a bit meh but otherwise I dug it! It’s back hooray!!!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wee Bairns posted:

The theme fakeout at the beginning drew a genuine laugh out loud.

lmao yeah that really got me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was just telling someone the other day how I thought “prima donna” was “pre-Madonna” for years when I was a kid so I loved that bit lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They haven’t faced West Ham yet. I imagine that’s probably happening in the next episode or two.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Richmond will lose badly to West Ham in their first matchup but win the second time. Prove me wrong, Jason!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Writing while watching:

lmao Nate is still just such a loser him at the restaurant is so painful. The security camera footage of him is a great scene though. He really is just a traumatised hurt kid deep down and I find it kinda poo poo when people can’t see that/seemingly missed the entire point of the s2 arc and are just like “gently caress NATE I HOPE NATE DIES” or whatever. There’s a reason Roy and Beard are presented as wrong in how they see him tbh

Are they really having Keely become tempted by Jamie again? gently caress that noise. Also the PR agency storyline still isn’t interesting even with Katy Wix being very funny. If this is how they best try to weave in post-Sudeikis continuation stuff it’s a worrying sign.

Rupert really knows how to play Nate and give him the soft touch which is gonna make his eventual meltdown when Nate does something wrong way more satisfying (on a storytelling level, I mean).

LOL I knew Nate was gonna be in the elevator

Some great commentator stuff in this episode.

lmao the match second half is unbelievably funny this was such a great way for that to happen. Basically just confirming what I said in the first paragraph tbh!!!!! Nate sympathy forever!!!!!!

Shandy sucks lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw I got what you were going for

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

And while the show is explicitly laying the groundwork for Nate to “come to his senses” and reject the ethos he’s prescribing to out of his insecurity, his obsession with positive attention and mistreatment of others is so pathetic that I consider him irredeemable.

Shut the gently caress up, Myles McNutt.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Them not being able to win since West Ham is a little too much but it is a sitcom at heart I guess.
Shandy SUUUUUUUUUCKS but her being fired was hilarious.
Roy’s bully advice is very good.

I can’t believe they’re continuing with the psychic poo poo. Nightmarish. Honestly Rebecca’s arc is starting to feel pretty sexist. It’s all about how she’s sad because she doesn’t have a man and kids? What year is this?

Henry being the bully was wildly obvious.
They might be going back to this waitress well a bit too often but it ended nicely.
Cute girls do a kiss!!!!!!!!
The Zava thing felt a bit abrupt and weird but he was an abrupt and weird dude so sure.
Good ending speech, maybe a little too cute even for this show but I enjoyed it.

Overall kind of a middling episode!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah he’s cursed a few times before including “win the whole fuckin thing” at the end of s1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t love it quite as much as everyone else so far - too overstuffed - but it was still pretty drat good.

Jamie/Roy and Colin/Trent storylines were excellent. Rebecca one was…..I mean in a vacuum fine but still continues this show’s kinda weird misogynist treatment of her this season where it’s all about boys and babies and whatever. Really not into how this show is treating its female characters right now.

Ted and majority of the team subplots both took a little too long to get going but ended up alright (that fantasy sequence is gonna be very hit-or-miss, and I personally didn’t dig it, but everything about the American restaurant was very funny), and Higgins/Will didn’t do anything for me and probably should have been cut.

Also very unrealistic because in reality at least half of those players would have been straight into the nearest coffeeshop although I’m sure the Dutch tourist board will appreciate that legal weed wasn’t mentioned once. As someone who doesn’t know football well that final reveal about the tactics made me laugh a bunch but I think my biggest laugh of the whole episode might have been right after when the bicycle dealer was IMMEDIATELY there to grab the bike once Jamie and Roy got off it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The prevailing theory among people who know about TV things is that Sudeikis will leave after this season and it’ll spin off into a show about Richmond and the other characters in general which explains what they’re doing but I still think they’re doing it the wrong way even if I’m ok with most of what’s happening

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though why is this season so weirdly misogynist compared to the others? There’s still a bunch of women in the writers room. I find it baffling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got round to this episode. Pretty good with lots of solid laughs but yeah the Keely stuff is still weak. And even as the biggest Nate sympathiser I still don’t understand why it feels like they’ve completely forgotten that they made him such a villain and just massively focused on this weird thing with Jade.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is such a loving mess lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still had some after-school special vibes but overall a much stronger episode than last week

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I literally forgot about Zava. This season is SUCH a mess lmao. But I feel more positive about this episode the more I think about it. A good template for a Tedless version of this show. I hope they can keep it up although I am of course skeptical

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I mean, it would have to be a straight-up spin-off, wouldn't it? Probably shouldn't call the show Ted Lasso after this season given Ted's not going to be in it, if they continue at all.

Yeah it’ll probably be called Richmond AFC or something. It’s been done before, like The Closer becoming Major Crimes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently I really hope Roy ends up head coach of Richmond and Nate ends up staying with West Ham but Rupert fucks off and their rivalry becomes friendly instead of serious. after this episode if Nate’s “redemption” involves him coaching Richmond again it would feel very unearned compared to Roy doing it.

also I miss Sharon

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhhhhh did Nate really leave West Ham off-screen between episodes?? What the gently caress?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a loving shambles. jesus christ.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Tbh I was surprised Rupert showed up. I expected he would get Rebecca to the meeting and leak the idea so when the idea collapsed and the fans revolted Rebecca/Richmond would be getting slagged off and he'd be laughing away at west ham.

There are so many better ways they could have played it lmao. This season is a loving disaster. I haven’t been this disappointed in a show in ages. Thank god for Roy and Jamie and the few decent jokes in each episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very sure that’s a sign they’re trying to spin off the show without Ted after and testing the waters for episodes where he isn’t in it much

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao @ this whole thing when Lawrence’s lack of involvement is blatantly the main reason it’s gone to poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

Probably like his tantrum in the s2 finale but with food

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When did the players go from hating Nate to unanimously agreeing to ask him back I hope this turns out to be a prank

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jumba posted:

Was this episode uneven as far as lighting goes for anyone else? When I watched it, it looked like one of the cameras they used had its brightness turned down by 25%. When that camera's view was displayed, the overall scene was pretty dark, and when other cameras were used it was brighter. It was particularly bad on indoor shots.

Ok yes I am absolutely noticing this. Very weird. Were you watching with Dolby Vision? Wonder if it’s an issue with that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok that picture of young Roy was amazing lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally one of the better episodes of the season but the Nate arc still shits me up the wall lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is the idea that you think Rebecca and Ted hosed but they actually just stayed up all night talking about him leaving or did they actually gently caress? I assume it’s the former but I just do not trust this show at all anymore

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rebecca this is literal emotional blackmail

Wait why the gently caress do I have the goddamn Snyder gangtag again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol the Zorro mask got a big laugh from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait so what was the point in humanising Rupert in the super league episode exactly