Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Winner of 11 Emmy awards including two for Outstanding Comedy Series, Ted Lasso is an American football coach hired to manage a British soccer team; what he lacks in knowledge, he makes up for in optimism, determination and biscuits.

The third and final season starts March 15 on Apple TV+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9yjn7Lkdg

Cast

Jason Sudeikis as Ted Lasso, an American college football coach who is hired to coach AFC Richmond, an English soccer team. He is frequently ridiculed for his folksy optimism and inexperience with the sport, but gradually wins people over through his kind and compassionate approach to coaching.

Hannah Waddingham as Rebecca Welton, the new owner of AFC Richmond. Kind yet vindictive, she initially hires Lasso to sabotage the team, but eventually comes to appreciate him.

Brett Goldstein as Roy Kent, a veteran box-to-box midfielder, captain and later assistant coach of AFC Richmond.

Juno Temple as Keeley Jones, an ambitious model who becomes the club's manager of marketing and public relations.

Jeremy Swift as Leslie Higgins, the timid but playful Director of Football Operations.

Brendan Hunt as Coach Beard, Lasso's grounded, laconic longtime assistant and friend.

Nick Mohammed as Nathan Shelley, the team's former kit man turned assistant coach, who is now head coach at West Ham United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah I watched it a second time when my mom wanted to see it. It was good and any complaints about the "extra" episodes that don't move the season forward are no longer relevant when you binge.

Also this was over Christmas so the Christmas episode fit well.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Great start to the season.

I'm loving Nate's arc. Still the little child obsessed with Twitter trying to act big. Bouncing from zero confidence to 100 and back again. I also love that assistant who clearly has no respect for him.

Meanwhile Ted (thanks to his team and son) has the right attitude on Nate by the end of the episode. Ted is still supportive which drives Nate mad.

"Poopeh"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes. It's even a thing that some teams will consistently bounce between promotion and relegation because the extra money they get from the Premier league allows them to spend more to be better than other Championship teams but not better than teams that are in the Premier league all the time.

That said there is usually some differences in predictions on who is going to be dead last.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1637878781007282177?s=20

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New episode is up.

Interesting final shot of Ted.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Will is a much better kitman than Nate.

"What's a CD?"

And cowering in the boot room while Jamie and Roy talked.

Speaking of... Jamie going to Roy to comfort him over the breakup (and even attempt a hug) was a huge bit of growth.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another great episode.

Zava constantly blocking Ted in the locker room
Will: “I’m 25”
Jamie is getting smarter
Jesus Christ Superstar was a great choice
LOL at Zava’s tattoo.
Not sure how I feel about the psychic stuff
Several weeks must have passed and unfortunately Ted hasn’t gotten over his wife seeing the doctor :( Maybe Sassy can snap him out of it
Happy to see Colin get some plot… even if it might not turn out happy for him

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The ’shite in nineing armor’ bit is waived off as a joke mishearing of ‘knight in shining armor’… but Jamie Tartt is definitely a bit of a shite and happens to play number 9.

Ugggggg.

You're right but I really don't want another story about Rebecca dating her much younger employees.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
People on AV Club mentioned they thought Trent was gay based on a scene from a previous season. If that’s the case his reaction to Colin is probably going to be a lot different than if he was just chasing a big story.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Roy :stare:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Scott Forstall posted:

That was a weird loving episode, especially the first half.

Plot movement:
-another 8ish games have passed?
-Zava is out, like totally out?
-Jamie is primed to step up?
-Ted is done with his bullshit?
-Nate has a chance to turn?

There are 38 EPL matches per team. You can't show them all in one season of TV.

It seems like this is the turning point (or classic climax story arc). Things were going well but everything has now fallen apart.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Data Graham posted:

"Based on pre-existing formatt / characters from NBC SPORTS" lmao what the gently caress. Did it always say that?

Yeah didn't they just do this in ... I want to say, Cobra Kai?

Yeah. The best show on TV is based on a decade old dumb commercial on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She's going to come back with STRFKR being a hugely successfull app, and just as she's about pit Keeley out of business she gets a C&D from the band.

Setting up a bizzaro-Ted Lasso spin off where every role is just the opposite of their AFC Richmond counterpart.

Call it Nate Shelley. Features a coach with no self confidence, a cruel boss, and an insane PR person. Also Zava as the player turned coach anti-Roy role.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"So mom, what was I saying? Oh yeah I met a nice couple who invited me to have a threesome."

This commenter at the AV Club nailed it, I think:

quote:

The plots might all feel disconnected, but I think that Ted and Beard laid out the structure of this episode and most of the season pretty well with the triangle talk. Total Football is the story structure they’re using this season. Keep the characters constantly moving, switch their roles around, divide them up into groups but have the stories touch and overlap in places and create new connections between each other.

Baron von der Loon posted:

As someone living in the Netherlands, this episode just felt surreal. So many accents. I had actually expected more "Dutch are so straightforward" jokes.

Beard's Dutch at the end was on point.

The same person also noted:

quote:

this episode was written by Brendan Hunt (Beard), who lived and worked in Amsterdam for many years. I think he met Jason Sudeikis there through Boom Chicago? They definitely worked together anyway. I think sitting in the Windy City section at the American-themed restaurant was a subtle nod to Boom Chicago. Hunt’s many years in Amsterdam are also why he speaks pretty good Dutch, and I’m sure he was able to add a bunch of details to the episode that made it feel a lot more accurate to people who are familiar with Amsterdam.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 20, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I love the little detail that Zava was also only at Ajax for half a season.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah lots of little details they nailed this episode.

BTW the pillow fight was a callback to season one.

quote:

Ted: All right, fellas, we got team meal in an hour. After that, it’s either gonna be movie night or a pillow fight. What’s it gonna be this time around?
All: Movie night.
Ted: All right. But I tell you what, y’all say “pillow fight” one time, and we’ll never watch another movie together again.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wee Bairns posted:

Fake Beard was pretty good too, especially the seat payoff a scene later.

Will as Beard was great. Beard was also a pretty good Will.

Skeezy posted:

He has incredible hair, I'm so jealous.

It was also great to see Nate not spit on the mirror for once.

Yeah I'm so glad to see Nate have that moment of growth.

WHISTLE!

And Ola owns.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 27, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

manero posted:

I'm trying to figure out the symbolism of all the shots of the shops extending the awnings down.

maybe the show's not that deep

Getting back to business.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Effiel Tower is just a lamp post with a publicist.

Edit: Pulling out the big bucks for music. That song probably cost more than most TV show's entire season budgets.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 3, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Data Graham posted:

I don't know why the Diamond Dogs dog-talk is the funniest thing

Me: Can we get Diamond Dogs?
Mom: We have Diamond Dogs at home.

Diamond Dogs at home: Love Hounds

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-prize-money-how-27602760

quote:

The most lucrative league in the world is back and all 20 clubs are guaranteed to earn huge windfalls before a ball is even kicked.

For the eventual Premier League champions a prize pot of more than £160m is on offer but even the relegated teams will bank north of £100m.

The league has not made prize money public since halfway through the previous decade but the breakdown is known and that means estimates can easily be calculated.

In 2022/23 the broadcast pot will grow again from about £2.5bn last season, meaning an increase on last season’s figures.

All 20 clubs receive an equal base payment from TV rights, which was worth about £84m last season, with clubs then banking additional amounts depending on how often they are selected for domestic TV.

quote:

2021/22 Prize money

1 Manchester City £161.3m,
2 Liverpool £159.8m,
3 Tottenham £152.1m,
4 Chelsea £151.7m,
5 Arsenal £151.6m,
6 Man United £150.2m,
7 West Ham £142.1m,
8 Leicester £134m,
9 Newcastle £131.5m,
10 Brighton £130.6m,
11 Wolves £128.2m,
12 Crystal Palace £124.3m,
13 Aston Villa £123.3m,
14 Brentford £121m,
15 Everton £120.4m,
16 Leeds £116.1m,
17 Southampton £113.3m,
18 Burnley £106.1m,
19 Watford £104.6m,
20 Norwich £100.3m.
This doesn't include ticket sales, merchandise, sponsorships or prize money available from other competitions (like the FA Cup).

Manchester United (which is publicly traded) announced revenues of $207 million in just Q1 2023.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Roy's press conference was really good.

Also Will continues to be the best.

"Seagulls are wretched creatures. They’ll steal your car keys right off your beach towel."

"It was worthwhile to meet you” and "He seems very wealthy and nice-like

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SpiderLink posted:

I think the deal there is that it's supposed to be jarring. The weird psycho manager bit is him putting on an act and he's uncomfortable with it but it's what he thinks this new father figure wants. Him backing out of the night out and going to Jade's signifies that he's not willing to embrace that part of himself because he finally sees what a shithead Rupert is. He didn't win over Jade by being a trash-talking alpha chad who spits on mirrors, and he recognizes that he should be the person she likes and not the person Rupert wants.

At least that's my read. It makes sense for him to get disillusioned with the bad guy before he can have a redemption. I still don't really appreciate just about any of the romantic relationships in this series.

Yeah it's pretty clear he is now certain on who he wants to be and it isn't the person Rupert wants.