Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm really loving this season so far. I feel like last season got a bit too bogged down in the wholesome positivity. But that doesn't really work without conflict and good biting humor to balance it out. The tone this time around feels more like S1 to me.

drat this is a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Lol Zava is an incredibly pretentious, self-absorbed jackass whose "chill, zen-like" nature is just the result of him being unbelievably successful and unstoppable. There are all kinds of ways to generate conflict with that. Maybe he finally gets challenged in a real way and breaks down. Maybe the honeymoon period ends and the other players start getting really annoyed. Who knows! I assume they're planning something bigger with the character since he's introduced in the last season.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Shandy's stupid arc was worth it for the scene where she gets fired.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think Ted Lasso is the one show where I’m actively rooting against its central conceit. That man needs to get back to his son.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

That episode was just pure vibes and helped move all the characters and story along without much hassle. I was surprised that the director seems to only do TV because this felt extremely filmic.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I love the show but they scene was so awkward and dumb and it felt like watching a PSA.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I had no idea she was a writer on the show but it's the actress that plays Bex. She actually did have something leaked when she was young so yeah it looks like this episode was pretty personal. I didn't have any problems with the plot — it's just that locker room scene that felt really forced and awkward.

I've been with this show pretty well so far, but these last couple episodes have been incredibly weak. Roy doesn't have any plots this season beyond "is training Jamie". Ted doesn't care about his job at all, which I thought was a plotline resolved by the Total Football reveal but he doesn't actually seem any different. The players don't have any arcs beyond "one is closeted".

Normally when a big prestige show knows it's on its final season, they go all out with a strong narrative but this just feels like it's meandering until Ted returns to America and they can make their spinoffs.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Saw all these posts and none of them are actually about the episode ha.

This one was much better than the last couple weeks, though that's not a high bar to clear. Not sure how I feel about Nate's story being wrapped up specifically in how Rupert treats women than anything to do with the job itself, but I guess that's Ted Lasso for you.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Season 8 of Scrubs is loving great because it had a concentrated effort to return to the feel of seasons 1–3. Season 9 gets a bad rap (it only existed because Bill Lawrence wanted the crew to keep their jobs) but the new cast was pretty solid and by the end it had found its footing.

Ted Lasso would've been significantly better and more cohesive if Lawrence had stayed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I knew season three was a bit doomed when Zava just left without incident. Felt like his character was going to end up bringing some fun conflict into the show but nope. Everyone loved him then he quit to grow a giant avocado and they were all great at soccer without him anyway. Served no purpose to the plot or arcs or themes or anything.

Like you need conflict for a story. That's what makes them stories. Nate was kind of an antagonist for half an episode maybe despite that turn being a huge part of season two. Rupert still sucks but nothing he does actually challenges or hurts the characters in any way — he's just a douche in what could be an entirely isolated story from anything Richmond (or even Nate!) is dealing with.

I liked the last couple episodes more than most because the characters and the actors are endearing, but watching millionaires be friends isn't any kind of story.

Anyway, everyone should watch Bill Lawrence's new show, Shrinking. It also turns into a neighborhood comedy about upper middle class people but it has genuine emotion and edge to it in a way that Ted Lasso completely lost. (And it's very nice to see modern Harrison Ford actually give a poo poo in something.)