Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I love the part with the bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Toxic Mental posted:

Handle With Care is an awful song and I don't know how Jeff Lynne actually recorded it and said "yeah dats it boyo"

Well it’s alright

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There's some good ones but I feel like they're always just a little less than the sum of their parts you know?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bloodbath is formed out of a bunch of well known Swedish metal bands, they do old school death metal. They have some good stuff

Possibly not as super as The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIeVnN9cFmw

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

that yachty album is a better steve lacy album than steve lacy's last album

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
GIve Peace A Chance: The Peace Choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c79vlb6lBLY

Because the 90s wanted to be the 60s, it was time for a protest song. MTV played it in constant rotation, it was an event full of music stars of the day. It's not good. It seems like a pretty good thing for Todd in the Shadows to cover at some point if he hasn't, already.

edit: Okay, I must have completely forgotten this, but according to the comments section MTV played this for 12 hours the night it premiered. God, had this happened just another year or so later, it would have been full of alternative and grunge acts, instead

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 1, 2023

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

drat I kept putting off posting them and then you beat me to it.

I'll post Weather Report instead, which was a jazz fusion supergroup fronted by Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter with a rotating cast of supporting players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE38JtY75bo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Due to copyright infringement laws you have to call them “The Big Group” now

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Huggybear posted:

Old and In the Way was pretty good

Came in here to post this

Shrinebuilder was a supergroup too but not the best

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
they were no highwaymen

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Idiots. Hollywood Vampires is where it’s at.

(Never actually heard a Hollywood Vampires song)

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Led Zeppelin was a supergroup, i guess, if we count well-respected studio guys meeting up.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Heading for the Light and End of the Line I like a lot more than Handle With Care.

"Off! is an American hardcore punk supergroup, formed in Los Angeles, California in late 2009 by Circle Jerks/Black Flag singer Keith Morris, Burning Brides frontman Dimitri Coats, Redd Kross bassist Steven Shane McDonald, and Rocket From The Crypt/Hot Snakes drummer Mario Rubalcaba."

I don't think they're that good though, really.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Fall was a supergroup in that it had a million members.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
at the dawn of the first hypergroup my nards will be blown clean off

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

nope, wu tang

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Lords of the New Church was a supergroup made up of early punk guys. It's pretty ok if you like glam

https://youtu.be/5CYN14Ki5o8

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

What about the Long Beach Dub Allstars? They got like 50 people on stage for that poo poo. I can't remember a single name except Eric.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

Beavis, Butthead and Cher

Great album.

ain't one for poetry, ain't one for prose
Ain't one for the scent of a springtime rose
But there is one fact that I do know
I sure get a kick out of that Beavis and Butt-Head show

DO DO DO DO

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

According to Wikipedia Cream and Crosby Stills Nash and Young are probably the greatest supergroups based on their body of work plus they toured which I dont think the Wilburys ever did.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The Traveling Wilburys Vol. 2 actually exists. I have the only copy and will sell it for no less than 2 million dollars.

No, you can’t see it or listen to it first.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The great thing about TTW was that at the time everyone's reaction was to laugh at all these ancient geriatric codgers getting together and somehow getting in the charts...and now, probably most goons are ancient enough to be older than most of them were at the time.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Oi, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is also a p great supergroup now that I think about it

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Brother Tadger posted:

Oi, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is also a p great supergroup now that I think about it

Did they ever do any original stuff? I remember them as mostly covers

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah they just did covers. What a great name.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Miles Davis Second Great Quintet.

Gods, on stage, together.

https://youtu.be/fBoHkB92SU0

First quintet kills as well.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

a mysterious cloak posted:

Miles Davis Second Great Quintet.

Gods, on stage, together.

https://youtu.be/fBoHkB92SU0

First quintet kills as well.

I saw Tony Williams play when I was a teenager. I had no idea who he was outside of "he played with Miles Davis" and it was incredible

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Planet X posted:

I saw Tony Williams play when I was a teenager. I had no idea who he was outside of "he played with Miles Davis" and it was incredible

greatest drummer of all time

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

According to Wikipedia Cream and Crosby Stills Nash and Young are probably the greatest supergroups based on their body of work plus they toured which I dont think the Wilburys ever did.

Yeah, Cream was the first one that came to mind for me, though for modern listeners that's Eric Clapton and two guys people have never heard of.

I've never been able to get into CSNY outside of their Ohio single: it all sounds really boring to me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Shrinebuilder is a great supergroup but they are not one of the giants, nor would they ever be even if they could have kept their poo poo together for more than a couple years

Cream, CSNY and Wilburys for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dArwDri4Y

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 1, 2023

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Planet X posted:

drat, nice

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Mozi posted:

i suppose oysterhead may count as a supergroup for certain folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhH3fsRni54&t=22s

How did I forget about Oysterhead? I still have my shirt from the Lowell, MA show. I could watch Stewart Copeland play the drums for hours.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Swedish house Mafia

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

MrQwerty posted:

Shrinebuilder is a great supergroup but they are not one of the giants, nor would they ever be even if they could have kept their poo poo together for more than a couple years

I did manage to see them live in San Jose. The best part was Dale Crover, he's an absolute monster. I still have the T shirt. There was a thread or article somewhere I read that Wino felt that Al was difficult to work with. :shrug:

Yeah it was pretty cool. He played a bright yellow Gretch kit, that I do recall. Sad that he died so young. I bought the Miles Davis autobiography at a barn book sale and remembered his picture in there, and when I heard he was coming around, my drummer buddy and I went to go see it. We sat next to Carter Beauford, I think, or he was in the same row because he used to wear a beret.

I got a lot of mileage out of the what cool bands did people see thread a while back, goons had some really incredible moments at live performances, myself included

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

dinahmoe posted:

How did I forget about Oysterhead? I still have my shirt from the Lowell, MA show. I could watch Stewart Copeland play the drums for hours.

NICE

I saw Bucket of Bernie Brains, that was another supergroup I tell ya what

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Jakob Dylan > Bob Dylan

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Page 2 and nobody has even mentioned Menudo (1980-1981 version). That’s five legends right there. FIVE.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Planet X posted:

I did manage to see them live in San Jose. The best part was Dale Crover, he's an absolute monster. I still have the T shirt. There was a thread or article somewhere I read that Wino felt that Al was difficult to work with. :shrug:

Dale is a great drummer, I got to see melvins when big business were in them and it was loving :discourse: and melvins are :discourse: anyway

I love Sleep, HoF and Om though. Saw Sleep on 4/20 and they were great and Al played the Rickenbacker 4420 for the first time, and saw Om in October last year and Al played a new Om song to close the set because he lives here now. Fantastic shows. Wish I coulda seen Shrinebuilder, though.

Also that article quoted Wino as saying, "Shrinebuilder is not happening because Al is insane," or something along those lines, followed by Wino talking about holistic medicine if I remember correctly.

Also Scott Kelly is kinda persona-non-grata everywhere forever now, if he ever decides to make music again.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 2, 2023

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

kntfkr posted:

Jakob Dylan > Bob Dylan

Can you imagine how hard it would be to be the son of uncle bob? It's amazing the Wallflowers had a few decent hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My argument is that One Headlight is a better single than any one Bob Dylan song.