Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

I also am fat and cannot eat less cake or exercise more and it blows.

That's an amateur waistline.... those are rookie numbers!!! :pathetic:

;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

Imagine moaning and crying about nothing. Now let my tell you my strong rage on decisions about new depictions of the character Tinkerbell, an issue of great import

Conservatives are always screaming about people needing to grow up and then you hear their concerns and it's always the dumbest poo poo.

"They made the Green M&M too sexy, they put a sign up saying I shouldn't use too much hand towels."

Bunch of toddlers coplaying as adults.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Imagine moaning and crying about nothing. Now let my tell you my strong rage on decisions about new depictions of the character Tinkerbell, an issue of great import
The earliest historical reference I can find to the idea of a 'victim culture' dates back to Roman emperors wittering about this new cult that rejects heroic gods like Zeus and Mars and instead worships a some guy who gave all his stuff away and got executed as a criminal.

So reckons Justin the Philosopher while appealing to the emperor Antoninus to stop killing a bunch of people, anyway.

It crops up again with a whole bunch of dickheads from Wagner to Mussolini going 'victim culture bad, hero culture good' though, so we can probably hazard a guess that moaning about 'victim culture' has been around for as long as appeals for someone to not be a fash oval office have.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh. Spring starts in March for you guys.

Spring starts when the first snowdrops and daffodils appear (so mid feb).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's spring on my Animal Crossing island so

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

There is an excellent podcast series called "Maintenance Phase."

It goes into a lot of deep dives at the science behind fad diets, health food crazes and the medical industry as a whole.

Spoiler warning, most of it all is based around junk science, racist theories or just a desire to make money off people.

It's very good.

Seconding this recommendation from the last thread. Also check out Aubrey Gordon's books.

And Michael Hobbes' other podcast If Books Could Kill is good too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobstar posted:

Seconding this recommendation from the last thread. Also check out Aubrey Gordon's books.

And Michael Hobbes' other podcast If Books Could Kill is good too.

Having looked at my last post I should clarify that I'm saying "Maintenance Phase" is a good podcast. And not, that making money off people by exploiting their fears around weight gain is good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

keep punching joe posted:

Spring starts when the first snowdrops and daffodils appear (so mid feb).

Won't see any flowers here until April, which I consider the first spring month.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
ffffuuuuuuuUUUUUCK

Driest February in England since 1993 signals drought ahead, say experts
With little rain forecast for spring and reservoirs still not refilled, drought could be worse than last year

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/01/driest-february-england-signals-drought-ahead-experts

quote:

Stuart Singleton-White, the head of campaigns at the Angling Trust, said the government and water companies had not yet prepared for the crisis that could be about to hit.

He said: “Strange as it may seem, it’s not over yet. The risk of returning to drought in 2023 is real. Both Cornwall and the east of England are still in drought. Many of our rivers have not properly recovered. We do not want to see a return to the number of fish deaths and fish rescues we saw last summer. With proper planning, we don’t need to.

“We need to see water companies and the Environment Agency doing more to ensure the public are kept informed, encouraged to value and save water where they can, and be aware of the impact another year of drought would have on our water environment and the wildlife that depends on it. Water companies need to get ahead of the game. They need to introduce measures to help us conserve water a lot earlier than they did in 2022. We should not wait until the crisis hits before we take action.”

With all these overlapping crises it really does feel like society is unravelling, slowly for now, probably faster in a few years.

Related, the Biosphere Collapse thread is currently enjoying a French TV show called The Collapse (l'effondrement), which I binge-watched last night. It's good, seems relatively realistic (though a little too sudden - like barely a week between "everything's fine" and "hordes of hungry rioters murdering one another across the entire country").

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds about right given the speed of the collapse into toilet paper barbarism.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How much of the England in permanent water shortage is due to most of the water capacity being leaked out of antiquated infrastructure which the privatised water companies have never bothered their arse to update/fix?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

How much of the England in permanent water shortage is due to most of the water capacity being leaked out of antiquated infrastructure which the privatised water companies have never bothered their arse to update/fix?

Can't believe you don't trust the efficient free market to solve this issue by stock buybacks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's actually the fault of private individuals for running the tap while brushing their teeth and having too many baths. Unless they have water meters in which case carry on.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Twat Mancock

Thank you

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

It's spring on my Animal Crossing island so
My wife logged in the other day to help out one of my cousins by sending her a bunch of recipes, and it's like loving Children of Men in there when you don't log in for a while.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My wife logged in the other day to help out one of my cousins by sending her a bunch of recipes, and it's like loving Children of Men in there when you don't log in for a while.

I didn't see the quote and just assumed you were talking about Facebook or Twitter at first.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Has Tom Nook gone full Immortan Joe?
"I am your redeemer. It is by my hand you will rise from the ashes of this world!"

In other news I saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/dom_potwor/status/1630939798876610561?t=_w_HMBqLktxweqb8FMueqg&s=19

I also saw an awful story about how Prince Harry was made to get multiple DNA tests to prove Archie was his child, but I am not finding it being carried by credible sources.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 1, 2023

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol Boris was all "no but the Spectator says" to Chris Whitty:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1630950898296926212

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guardian is leaking containment again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Good news, guys. Journos have decided that it’s safe to admit the Panorama episode on Labour antisemitism was bullshit now that there’s no danger of any meaningful change

https://twitter.com/georgemonbiot/status/1630655197683806209?s=46&t=aMjF0h9kLuBVAKyZ-PPWUw

Yes, I don't know what's happened over there! Also published a letter from the two Jewish women accused of a potential-future-thought-crime that never was, as well as the Monbiot thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/kos_data/status/1630604130560405508?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

:scotland:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Robmania

Congrats to Albania on levelling up to Yugoslav though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like BENE should be allied with doggerland by that point.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well I’m off to join the Yugo-Danish Union

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm glad to see Dr. Doom will be a reality by 2100. All hail Doom and his Latverian Empire!

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 1, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A world without England finally an optimistic view of the near future.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Average HoI4 peace conference.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ro5s posted:

Average HoI4 peace conference.

Seems to be missing random enclaves and tiny rump states that comprise five disconnected provinces scattered on the borders of the state's former area.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been saying for months that Smallithuania annexing Russia is the only plausible outcome of the Ukraine war, glad to see my predictions vindicated.

e: concerned about what took the lux out of Benelux though. :ohdear:

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luxembourg annexes Ukraine and UK and forms LUUUKKX

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

big scary monsters posted:

e: concerned about what took the lux out of Benelux though. :ohdear:

I'm more concerned about what happened to Istanbul and the rest of the coast from Greece to Romania

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As if anyone of the rest of europe wants to join back with England.
Unless they are wiped out....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't see England on that map.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guavanaut posted:

I don't see England on that map.

Frankly it's time to end this whole England experiment.

Happy for southern Scotland to be from Torbay instead of Gretna.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nenonen posted:

I'm more concerned about what happened to Istanbul and the rest of the coast from Greece to Romania

presumably nukes were used

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Non-Aligned' and a conspicuous lack of country names suggests that all the black bits are anarchic Mad Max wastelands, which might go some small way towards explaining what the gently caress happened to Istanbul.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

biglads posted:

Frankly it's time to end this whole England experiment.

Happy for southern Scotland to be from Torbay instead of Gretna.

People complaining that "the south" refers to the central belt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

'Non-Aligned' and a conspicuous lack of country names suggests that all the black bits are anarchic Mad Max wastelands, which might go some small way towards explaining what the gently caress happened to Istanbul.
Except the Tabernas Desert which is probably anarchist chill people in a small bus wasteland.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Some interesting small print in the peace treaty regarding Crimea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Some interesting small print in the peace treaty regarding Crimea

that's the Republic of Ukraine, the Peoples Republic of Ukraine allows one country, two systems