Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1630947234165542913

Boris dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I still think that the best way to provide information would be by comparison to other diseases where the majority have a slight fever, a small minority have serious disease, and a significant chunk of those with severe disease have long term health problems or die.

So many people were going around saying "only 0.4% mortality rate" when I really doubt they'd be saying "chill out, it's only somewhere between untreated polio and yellow fever".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

So many people were going around saying "only 0.4% mortality rate" when I really doubt they'd be saying "chill out, it's only somewhere between untreated polio and yellow fever".

The number of people who haven't taken their kids to get their polio booster suggests there are, in fact, plenty of people who think polio is a joke.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

If someone hasn't got a hang of percentages vs decimals by 16, the A-level math curriculum is unlikely to be of much use.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kingturnip posted:

The number of people who haven't taken their kids to get their polio booster suggests there are, in fact, plenty of people who think polio is a joke.

It's a free country (last time I checked), people are allowed to decide what they think is best for their children and a lot of people don't even like mints.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

domhal posted:

If someone hasn't got a hang of percentages vs decimals by 16, the A-level math curriculum is unlikely to be of much use.

I don't think he meant for them to study A-level maths in particular, just keep up with some maths. People seem to lose whatever they might have known at school within a year or two of leaving.

The standard of maths throughout British population including many senior people in senior posts is dreadful as I discovered when reporting to various Boards of large organisations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/24/heads-or-tails-smarter-than-an-mp-personality-quiz-ben-ambridge

quote:

Are you clever enough to be an MP? To find out, simply answer the following question: if you toss a coin twice, what is the probability of getting two heads? (I know we’re talking about MPs here, but you can assume that no skulduggery is afoot and both coin tosses are fair.) The answer, when you are ready, is below.

Get it right? Perhaps you’re too smart to be an MP. A 2012 study conducted by the Royal Statistical Society found that just 40% of MPs surveyed gave the correct answer. Worryingly, 45% of MPs thought that the correct answer was 0.5 (ie 50% or evens) – ie the same as the probability of getting heads on a single toss.

Even more worryingly, most MPs seemed completely unaware of their own ignorance, with around three-quarters of them saying that they “generally felt confident when dealing with numbers”.
:wow:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oakeshott is now probably the most powerful Tory there is at the moment, as she has the entire Covid MyCrimes.txt and has shown she's not afraid to use it.

It's never a good thing to have someone like her in charge of blackmail material. Just look at Raab.

I take it only a tiny percentage of messages have been leaked?

e: Re the post above this, my old MP in Plymouth, Oliver Colvile, boasted to my face that he went to Stowe, one of the best schools money could buy, and only walked away with a single O level. He then boasted that he was terrible in every job he ever did before landing his cushy political publication job. His qualifications to be our MP was that he came from an old school Tory line of politicians, aristocrats, plantation owners and naval captains.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 1, 2023

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think he meant for them to study A-level maths in particular, just keep up with some maths. People seem to lose whatever they might have known at school within a year or two of leaving.

The standard of maths throughout British population including many senior people in senior posts is dreadful as I discovered when reporting to various Boards of large organisations.

That makes more sense. In Scotland, if you don't do well enough at 16 to go into the next level of maths (used to be called Highers), you would instead take a sort of repeat of 15-16 year olds' maths (used to be called Intermediate 1 or 2). Dunno if England has something similar.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Oakeshott is now probably the most powerful Tory there is at the moment, as she has the entire Covid MyCrimes.txt and has shown she's not afraid to use it.

It's never a good thing to have someone like her in charge of blackmail material. Just look at Raab.

I take it only a tiny percentage of messages have been leaked?

e: Re the post above this, my old MP in Plymouth, Oliver Colvile, boasted to my face that he went to Stowe, one of the best schools money could buy, and only walked away with a single O level. He then boasted that he was terrible in every job he ever did before landing his cushy political publication job. His qualifications to be our MP was that he came from an old school Tory line of politicians, plantation owners and naval captains.

I think she now counts as Reform Party aligned rather than a Tory (Her partner is the Reform Party Leader). So she's even worse. Add this to the list of reasons why it was so unbelievably colossally stupid for Matt Hancock to voluntarily give her the messages and not expect something like this to happen.

Everyone seems to think that the Telegraph is going to drip the revelations over several days, so yeah, more to come apparently.

It's interesting how two stories are now unravelling though. One about the WhatsApp messages and Matt Hancock, and then another about Isabel Oakeshott and what an absolute piece of work she is. It should be noted that she leaked these stories to The Telegraph when she works for their rivals (Murdoch). She has quite literally screwed over absolutely everyone to do this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

domhal posted:

That makes more sense. In Scotland, if you don't do well enough at 16 to go into the next level of maths (used to be called Highers), you would instead take a sort of repeat of 15-16 year olds' maths (used to be called Intermediate 1 or 2). Dunno if England has something similar.

If you fail your GCSE maths colleges will sometimes offer a remedial maths course, but I don't know how it works if you just leave school then.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Also she's too lazy to even read the messages. Just forwarded the zip file to someone else.

Although fair enough, spending time reading matt Hancock's messages. Presumably there's affair stuff in there too?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

50/50, you either get heads twice or you don't, simple as

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

50/50, you either get heads twice or you don't, simple as

Wrong. The answer is 100 percent of the time because you simply employ someone to make sure it goes your way.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rasler posted:

I think she now counts as Reform Party aligned rather than a Tory (Her partner is the Reform Party Leader).

Holy poo poo, I didn't realise this. I assumed she was just a proto Kuenssberg clone that swung a bit more to the right.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

domhal posted:

There is a 'stand alone' Level 3 maths qualification.
And if you do IB (no idea how many schools in UK do that) there is (or used to be anyhow about 10 years ago) a compulsory 'maths studies' thing you had to do if you weren't doing SL maths or HL maths.
I expect there are other options depending what else you might be doing for the 16-18 years.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Matt's a loving idiot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also if you don't math 'til your 18, how will you even get there

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
oooouuh :nws:

https://twitter.com/JimmyMao420/status/1630966176590307333

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

clearly photoshopped, 0/10

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/felixrandal/status/1631061990192889857

It's a machinegunning of Tories :allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I just did a tweet at the tories including the words 'tory idiots' and twitter said "most people don't tweet like this are you sure you don't want to change it" (or something like that). Anyway, I tweeted it. But I mean, has twitter auto-mod ever read twitter?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just did a tweet at the tories including the words 'tory idiots' and twitter said "most people don't tweet like this are you sure you don't want to change it" (or something like that). Anyway, I tweeted it. But I mean, has twitter auto-mod ever read twitter?

the new version got very aggressive against lefties after Musk took over twitter, it was almost overnight that every time you told a right-wing shitheel to smoke turds the tweet interface would ask you to be less mean

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Most people write far worse than idiots, it wanted you to write evil tory fuckwits at the very least.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

What happened next has dogged Oakeshott’s journalism career since. The Crown Prosecution Service – led by the future Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer – requested the correspondence between Oakeshott and Pryce. A judge agreed with Starmer’s request and – rather than protect its source – the Sunday Times and Oakeshott complied with the order. The material proved to be crucial evidence at trials which in which both Pryce and Huhne were found guilty of perverting the course of justice and sent to prison.

Isabel Oakeshott: the journalist who turned over Matt Hancock

lol kier

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think the disappointing part is it seems the WhatsApp messages are only tied to Covid and Lockdown.

I'd love for them to publish the messages when Marcus Rushford took on the Tory Party to ensure kids were fed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't even notice that message anymore because it flags up any mildly negative post so it's useless, but when it first rolled out I actually did decide not to post a couple of things.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was given a 12 hour ban yesterday for three tweets that I sent to 30p Lee Anderson a few weeks back. Apparently I was bullying the little fascist

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So 4 Protestants, including a former active Loyalist (no embellishment given) were arrested over the "New IRA's" (air quotes mine) murder of lead detective Jim Caldwell.

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/c...1105623123.html

This comes days after 4 men who were initially arrested regarding the killing, all well-known Republicans, were released unconditionally.

loving Jesus oval office.

I understand that some of you hate living in your native England or Scotland or, god forbid, Guernsey.

But please understand the absolute loving damage living in this impoverished remnant of an apartheid state has on the human soul, every single loving day.

Oh well, cheer up. Marching season's right around the corner. :shepicide:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is sick AF. Who's the artist?

https://instagram.com/alcazalex?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Do lot reckon anything will actually come of these whatsapps proving they are absolute ghouls and never gave a poo poo?

I have a hard time mustering any semblance of hope. Though i would like to see 140 county Scotland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nilbop posted:

So 4 Protestants, including a former active Loyalist (no embellishment given) were arrested over the "New IRA's" (air quotes mine) murder of lead detective Jim Caldwell.

This comes days after 4 men who were initially arrested regarding the killing, all well-known Republicans, were released unconditionally.

I understand that some of you hate living in your native England or Scotland or, god forbid, Guernsey.

But please understand the absolute loving damage living in this impoverished remnant of an apartheid state has on the human soul, every single loving day.

wait so after the initial reports that this was the IRA up to their poo poo again, it turns out it was a bunch of at-best-anti-Ireland fuckers responsible?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

So just so I am following this.

A bunch of people shoot Jim Caldwell at a football grounds.
He survives.
The New IRA claim responsibility.
The PSNI arrest 4 "Prominent Republicans." (IE people who are known to be connected to the New IRA.)
These 4 Republicans are released.
4 Protestant are arrested as part of this investigation.

So does this mean that these 4 guys shot this cop and tried to pin it on the New IRA? I mean it's not like the New IRA (or any flavour of IRA) would recruit Protestants.
And if so, why did the New IRA claim responsibility?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This Lee Anderson fella seems like a loving prick

quote:

People struggling with living costs were "more resourceful" in previous decades, the Tory deputy chairman has said.

Lee Anderson told the BBC there was a "different culture" in his youth, and people were more likely to take on extra work.

The MP - who grew up in a mining town - has faced criticism for previously questioning the need for food banks.

Recalling his childhood, he said "our garden was our foodbank".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Question IRL posted:

So just so I am following this.

A bunch of people shoot Jim Caldwell at a football grounds.
He survives.
The New IRA claim responsibility.
The PSNI arrest 4 "Prominent Republicans." (IE people who are known to be connected to the New IRA.)
These 4 Republicans are released.
4 Protestant are arrested as part of this investigation.

So does this mean that these 4 guys shot this cop and tried to pin it on the New IRA? I mean it's not like the New IRA (or any flavour of IRA) would recruit Protestants.
And if so, why did the New IRA claim responsibility?

As far as I'm aware the "New IRA claiming responsibility" amounted to some guy finding a piece of laminated paper stuck to a wall somewhere in Derry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-64783661

It's fair to take that at face value because, well, it's a paramilitary organization and they're not going to go on Nolan (only the UVF get to do that). But it's hard not to look at this piece of paper with spelling and syntax errors that the whole country decided to latch onto with a bit more suspicion now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lee Anderson is the epitome of Tory Boy Cuntdom.
It's pure "have you thought about not being poor" dickwittery writ large.

[edit]
To add to this, he was clearly made Deputy Chairman of the Tories to appease the Liberal Ultras-wing of the party. Because if there's one thing the Tories have shown they value more than literally the ground they stand on, it's the Party and the fascists who keep voting them onto the gravy train.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If I got a message saying "most people don't post like this" I would consider it a positive indicator of my brand identity.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Poor families in the past had quite decent council houses with gardens. I know not all - but he's from Nottinghamshire and they probably did better than the Gorbals or the most desperate parts of other cities.

Quite how you're supposed to grow your own food in a high rise block where you might have a couple of windowsills you could put a window box on, I don't know. And the waiting for allotments where they exist is years' long.

Our local allotments have a 5 year waiting list and some of the allotments have fallen in to rack & ruin but because whoever the 'tenant' is continues to pay the annual sub, there's apparently nothing anyone can do about it. If I were on the council, I would get that changed.

I was going to say undoubtedly his family and neighbours had a lot of donated help from lefties during the miners' strikes (when he would have been in his teens) but then remembered Nottinghamshire miners didn't go in for the strikes as hard as Yorkshire etc. I have some vague memory that the Nottinghamshire miners set up an alternative union to the NUM maybe - it's almost 40 years ago.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 2, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The actual professional farmers in the UK can't stop having crop failures so clearly randos should be able to feed themselves from their gardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1631049883078606854

I'm going to be getting another twitter ban by replying with 'Looks a bit noncey tbh. Two of them haven't even bothered to change out of their school uniform.'

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 2, 2023