Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Rarity posted:

How we all looking for tomatoes?

About a quarter of an inch tall. Give me six months and I’ll have more tomatoes than you know what to do with.

(For about a fortnight. Then, none again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just had a horrible moment where the head of retail at a large childrens charity told me we’re turning into a “snowflake nation” with people moaning and crying about nothing. He’s a white guy in his mid fifties so fits the profile somewhat. Have you seen this morning about making Tinkerbell black, he said.

“THEY WANT TO loving GROW UP”

“THEY WANT TO COME AND WORK IN MY OFFICE TRYING TO IGNORE A BLACK AMBULANCE PULLING INTO THE KIDS HOSPICE”

“loving Tinkerbell, they can gently caress OFF”

Phew. Wondered where he was going with that!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

:nms: :nms:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

DesperateDan posted:

you like badgers? deer? foxes? red wing thrushes?

you don't know what a red wing thrush looks like?

you like taking a few minutes away from the horror, the horror, the horror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp3W9L1SRY

with the compliments of my animal comrades

Incredible scenes. I don’t think I’ve ever typed that sincerely before. Dan, what trail cam are you using please, and would you recommend it?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Not only is it apt, who the gently caress can really look at poo poo like this

and still claim that the similarity isn't intentional? It's not a lot subtler than how Moore described Norsefire.

Not to interrupt the very entertaining football commentary (never written that before) but was it ever explained what the “denied access to the slavery system” meant? If I capture someone who’s come here on a small boat, can I keep him? I can’t see any other way to interpret it!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

JoylessJester posted:

Basically, if you come forward and say 'hey I've been trafficked and am now a domestic slave / in a work gang / working for a drugs gang ' they will treat you as a criminal rather than a victim.

Ah right, so the traffickers standard lie of “if you try and escape they will send you to [Rwanda, for example]” is now 100% true? loving brilliant, that’ll go well.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

ro5s posted:

“The government is demonising foreigners. By comparing this to the nazis, you are saying German Jews were foreigners rather than Germans making you the real nazi. Checkmate corbynailures :smuggo:

He’s a thick oval office

The nazis, well known for their warm and welcoming attitude to non-Jews of all races.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just embarrassingly pathetic.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

happyhippy posted:

I know this isn't related, but thought I would share
Back when I was a kid there was a virtual homeless guy in our town, lived out in the woods, his own shack.
He was in his 60s at least, talked in grunts, not sure what mental problems he had, but he was just totally detached from the world around him.
Also back then you should hand empty glass and milk bottles for 10p or whatever.
And he would bring in these to get himself food and drink, to the only one shop that would serve him. And it was mostly a pint of milk or loaf of bread.
Which was our nearest shop so would see him a lot.
When they phased out handing in the bottles in the 90s, the kind shopkeeper, a total gent, would still take his bottles and keep him fed.

Also not related, but I found out yesterday our local crazy-but-nice guy who lives in a caravan in the woods used to be some kind of broker for insurance deals when large companies merged, on a six- figure salary. He hit 40, decided he’d had enough, and now works as a gardener, supplements it with a bit of weed dealing, and says if he was looking at having to get a “proper” job he’d just slink off and die in the woods instead. Never had such respect for a man who thinks covid was a hoax and Joe Rogan knows what he’s talking about.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Richard Herring had it right:

“Have you ever seen a ghost?”

“Ooh, actually yes!”

“No you’ve not. Right, next question… “

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Josef bugman posted:

Not commenting on the realness or unrealness of ghosts, but there are some cultures that don't believe in ghosts like we do! A famous example is in this fun little article called Shakespeare in the Bush, which I'll link below.

https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/editors_pick/1966_08-09_pick.html

Personally even as a materialist it's nice to imagine cool energy things and what have you, and being very negative to it doesn't make you more interesting, in the same way believing doesn't either.

A few pages back but worth quoting, a really good read and anyone who skipped it should give it a click instead.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Every single thing about this is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.

And with that damning indictment of my comedic taste, could I possibly ask if anyone would be prepared to read a sitcom pilot a friend and I have written? It’s been edited by a proper script editor so it won’t be mechanically a chore to get through, can’t necessarily promise the same for the plot and so-called jokes. I’d be massively grateful for a volunteer who’s prepared to both read it and give me some critique.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hey Owlfancier have you at some point in the past expressed a passing interest in fossils? I will be in Whitby w/c 17th of April if you wanted to meet on the beach to look at rocks and that. Nearly all this was collected at Whitby:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

forkboy84 posted:

Do folk still smoke fags?

As a mid- forties guy living in derbyshire, everyone my age-ish calls them fags or tabs. Not that it comes up much these days. I found a full pack of fags at a motorway services last week, and described it as such to my friends. Didn’t even occur to me until later that I maybe want to excise that from my vocabulary.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Quids in! Seriously, not being a smoker ever I was :eyepop: overhearing what the price for a full pack of tabs is now the other day in the corner ASDA, fifteen nicker for a pack of 20 superking black.

My one smoking friend said they’d probably be twenty quid in a services. I gave them to the first homeless guy I saw, who was very grateful.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surely it's only Americans who get confused by the term? Must we modify our language because of Americans? I kick myself everytime I use the word 'movie' instead of 'film'.

In the sitcom I’ve written (and several kind people from this thread have recently received a pilot script for) I went through and swapped out every instance of “TV” for “telly.” It was a good way to tell if it had been me or my writing partner actually putting the words in. He’s fifteen years younger than me and honestly, we can barely understand one another sometimes.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

All these complaints about weed smells when the Xmax Starry/Xmax v3 Pro are things that exist and can be had for cheaper than 3 or 4 packs of fags.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Barry Foster posted:

Man I hated the Starry, it would get clogged up so easily and was a huge PITA to clean

But yeah, weed vapes are extremely great, and more efficient, and don't smell nearly as much

The trick with most vapes and definitely the Starry is to take all the ‘stuff’ out the head and replace it with a little bit of gauze. If it stops bits getting in your mouth, and you can clean it with fire, it’s all you need. By god I miss skinning up though. I loved rolling joints so much.

Edit: what a snipe! Have a pic of some fossil turds I found in the village stream yesterday.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Huffing the fumes of ancient, 100% authentic British poo poo something something [weak analogy to politics and/or journalism]

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Cartridges for weed vapes, really? I’ve never seen such a thing. The instructions often talk about “dabs” and I have no idea what that is either. I fill mine with bits of an actual plant one of my neighbours grows in a suspiciously whitewashed greenhouse on the allotments.

Edit: or buy it from the madman who lives in the woods of course. The normal ways of getting weed.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Camrath posted:

It loving sucked. They did not.

Edit: once again I find myself doing the ‘phrasing what was a pretty traumatising experience as a funny story’ thing. Should really try and stop doing that.

When I was at primary school they did an assembly about “everyone’s different, don’t make fun” and brought all the “different” kids to the front. There was Richard the haemophiliac who couldn’t go out at break, Mark with horrible scars on his neck and chest from a hot water burn as a baby, and Steven, who was black. My friend Ailsa was called up because she had red hair, but demurred. I’m sure there were more. I’m also pretty sure it made things immediately and directly worse for all the children involved.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Look at this hideous mess those simultaneously posh and uncouth lefties left:

“Symbolic of what?” was my immediate question when I read that this morning. Then I remembered nothing means anything any more, not to these people.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1649409500166737920

Gordon Brown terrorizes Ed Balls in the office, 2006

I think she might be thinking of Geoff Capes.

Easy mistake to make (it’s the kilt).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Looking for some advice - a colleague has been with the business about six months, she’s having a horrendous run of bad luck - wisdom teeth, covid, a bunch of other things which means she can’t work effectively. She’s gone onto SSP and is really struggling with, for example, food and mortgage. I’ve helped her out as much as I can but is there anything she should or could be applying for? I’ve just told her to call her bank to see if she can suspend mortgage payments.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

bessantj posted:

I'm driving home after a 12 hour shift with 5 lads in the van and that alert thing hits my phone and shuts off my sat nav, not helpful when you're driving through a place you've never been before.

The worst I got was my audiobook turned off for five seconds, right at the bit where they find Josella’s dad’s been killed by a triffid. Mine was an anti-audible alert.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only thing I can think of is to apply to the local council for Council Tax relief (I'm not sure what the ins and outs of that are & I think it's Local Authority dependent).

Don't know if there might be anything useful on this website?

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

Thanks, I’ll pass this on.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

smellmycheese posted:

Landlords eh?

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1652013143441174529?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

He needs to keep the last months rent, tell them to stick the deposit, poo poo all over the walls and then burn it down

It costs £1.80 to get your wheelie bin cleaned. He’ll pressure wash your drive for a fiver at the same time if you ask.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Someone round the corner has put Charles where he belongs:

Nearly all the old folk bungalows respect him enough to put a flag up, but not enough to iron it. They ironed their flags for the jubilee!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Are those the weights from a traditional Swiss cuckoo clock hanging down on the other side?

Edit: and the man on the right is covered in tassels (but not as big as the kings ofc)! What’s going on?

Sanford fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 1, 2023

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Isn’t there some party game where you have to dress up in stuff you find in a hotel room? It’s like he’s done that in a ski chalet. His big badge looks like when my daughter peels a big sticker off eg a grapefruit and insists on wearing it on her school jumper.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Angrymog posted:

gently caress off. Plenty of quite broke (partially because they have a horse) working class people keep horses too. They're not just a posh thing.

Also, if I didn't have a horse I wouldn't be able to share pictures of cute little Apple to the discord.

My wife and I have discussed and agreed acceptable levels of horse and you are definitely on the right side (black and white hairy horse) and not the wrong side (tall smooth brown posh horse).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Loads of horses go past my window when I’m working and the taller and posher the horse, the less likely the rider will look like they’re enjoying themself. There’s a couple go past once in a while on a pair of horses look like they’re worth more than my house, always got faces like bloody thunder. Just go home then! No one’s making you ride it!

Chap and his wife occasionally go past in a little scrap-built buggy thing, rattling and banging along pulled by two hairy little swamp horses, look like they’re having the time of their life every drat time. Posh horses/proper horses. You know.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Basically JoMo's saying if someone's hanging outside asking people if they have ID then those who go home as a result aren't recorded. Only the people who actually get to the desks are

Oh I actually just overcame this by saying yes I’ve got it, getting to the desk and realising I’m much more angry about it than I realised. They asked to check, I said “I’ll just have to leave it then thanks” and gave them my polling card. I wondered why we were pounced on before we even got in the room.

Edit: 195 degrees Celsius is the highest temperature at which I vape weed.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

They are skilful and convincing depictions of actual identifiable wildflowers and thus this post(box) is approved.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks I'll pm you this evening after work.

Well I was thinking “that’s me, I’m the IT charity guy” but it seems there’s more of us than I realised! Sounds like AngryMog has you covered but if your charity is ever moving into opening a shop, raising money via retail, or anything to do with Gift Aid - I’m your man!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

This article is absolutely wild.

IT worker sues her boss believing 'xx' in email were kisses

quote:

Karina Gasparova also claimed that when Alexander Goulandris renamed a work file with his initials 'ajg' it was an abbreviation of "A Jumbo Genital".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Convex posted:

this is unfair. find me an orca as passionate and relatable as sir kier starmer

I’m sure a dead one will wash up somewhere sooner or later.