Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh. Spring starts in March for you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

keep punching joe posted:

Spring starts when the first snowdrops and daffodils appear (so mid feb).

Won't see any flowers here until April, which I consider the first spring month.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

I guess by some metrics it is April as the first spring month in the UK, but not in any part of Scandinavia.

The UK calendar was set by Rome (and its only legitimate sequel and successor state, Rome Mania), so March it is though.

I dunno if you are joking with me or not? June as a spring month?

e: I see "The first month of 2022 with 10 straight days of average temperature above 15 degrees". Sounds like the definition of summer to me.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 3, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What loving justification does anyone have to argue for incandescent light bulbs? Do they feel their energy bills are too low?

I remember the last place I rented, probably around 2011, had a living room lit by 9x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. 450W just to keep the lights on.

Old style lightbulb inefficiency can be utilized in certain applications such as a cheap frost guard for plumbing and such. So they have a few niche applications for me that I can't easily replace. Made a really good self regulating over current protector.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never had McDonalds, KFC, Burger King or any other big brand that i can't remember in my life, got obese as f*&k all on my own. :colbert:

Ate at some Swedish place called Max last night it was worse than the McDonald's in Vaasa, which I quite like.

Wanted to find this place called Frasses that I remember going to as a kid when my parents drove along the Swedish coast and then back down on the Finnish side. But got down voted by the family.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cat botherer posted:

You don't have a link to this do you?

I've heard dozens of these stories, sometimes unfolding live on a forum. Albeit from a different country.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Monster Munch really aren't worth arguing about.

Never even had any. But in the end I thin plain salt ones are the ones I always come back to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

We would get a flood of articles about the ancient right of ultima noctae and how it is actually a real mark of his kingliness.

Read that as Ultima Noncetae

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mourning Due posted:

Couple vaguely unrelated thoughts:

Wife & I just had the privilege of a 48 visit to Stockholm to see The Midnight (awesome show btw). Whole time we were there we kept remarking on how spotless the city seemed. Everyone seemed confident, well put-together, pleasant in their general manner, all willing to point us in the right direction when we got lost. We'd heard tales of how crushingly expensive it was there, but either we weren't tapping out properly or public transit was cheaper than here, food was about the same price, alcohol about the same. Hotel was v expensive & of course we don't know about rent etc. Anyway: what a stark difference, between the gorgeous, clean and calm train from the central station to the airport, to the train from Gatwick to London Bridge. Train schedule all hosed up. When train arrived, completely packed. And while on the train, four separate times we had people down in their luck coming round & begging, so they could afford a night in a hostel. Made me think a couple things:

- Begging must be so much harder now that we're essentially cashless
- Not to second-guess: they all mentioned they needed to raise £20 to spend a night at St. Mungo's: is that right, that we charge people to stay in our homeless shelters? If so, that's insane.
- Putting aside the obvious fact that these poor people have had their humanity stripped away by our heartless & foolish leaders, who couldn't care less about them personally: if I was a business owner, I know which country I would rather open a branch office in. Sweden felt like a country on the move, lots of clear investment in infrastructure and public works, whereas England feels like it's falling apart at the seams.

We were in a very touristy part of their capital city so maybe we saw it with blinders on. But having lived in London for the past 12 years it was certainly eye-opening.

Remember you went to Stockholm, and to Sweden which culturally and economically has spent decades trying to kill social democracy and adopting american norms. It's on the same path, just not as far along.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I can't make heads or tails of what endlessmonotony is trying to say about sweden but I guess it's either that they're bad... or good???

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Secrets of the clit chat:
the person doling out advice is Pamela Stephenson who older posters may remember as being a popular comedian 40+ years ago on a show called Not the Nine o clock news which IIRC was also where Rowan Atkinson found fame. She married Billy Connolly and trained as a psychotherapist

Maybe she just doesn't fancy him anymore but considers it her wifely duty to do the minimum.

I read that as Pamela Anderson and thought this whole post was some weird British humor bit I didn't understand.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

So, anyway, what’s the thread’s thoughts on ghosts?

I believe the ghost of racism haunts Sweden

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Someone mentioned litter picks and that brought back memories, we used to do that when I was a kid, a bunch of us would walk along the roads one day in spring and pick trash. I remember it being fun actually.

I think people litter less now at least.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

josh04 posted:

Can't even get the name right, it's "Keith Stalin" not "Keir Putin"

e: vladikeir putin

Vladimir Keirovich Putin (nee Stalin)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ItohRespectArmy posted:

things were pleasant when you guys were young?

Things where pretty nice until the 90s when we had an economic crash due to the soviet union collapsing, and I started the equivalent to high school. Things never recovered from that and the austerity that followed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

Fair warning - those piss chugging charlatans at pepsi uk have changed the recipe on pepsi classic to be nearly entirely sweeteners. As such its disgusting and undrinkable swill, yet they are still charging 2.50 for it as if its full sugar. Absolute crooks.

I don't drink sodas with sugar, or sodas much at all really, but holy crap Pepsi Max is sooo bad. Coke Zero otoh, possibly the best soda out there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

stev posted:

Pepsi Max is so much better than the vaguely brown water that is Coke Zero.

Pepsi max is so bad I've stopped going to places that have it instead of coke.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aphex- posted:

Pepsi Max always tastes flat and almost gone off to me. Coke Zero just tastes like regular coke which is witchcraft.

To me pepsi max tastes insanely sweet, sweeter than the actual sugared drink. To the point it makes me feel ill. I wonder do they taste the same across the world, or even europe? Are there regional variatons?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dabir posted:

Strong 18 year old desperately trying to pad their uni application energy

Knowing chess doesn't mean you're actually good at anything else. Case in point my brother in law, 40 years old lives at home with his dad, was legally declared not fit to handle his own business and has a caretaker to handle his money for him since he kept giving it away to people in chat rooms pretending to be hot asian women who needed travel fare to come see him.

His dad once arranged a marriage for him too, since he's the only son. Alas she dumped him as soon as she got citizenship and married the first best balding finnish engineer she found.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Maugrim posted:

There’s a chess thread in trad games and a friendly chess discord, both active but not too active, come join

You forgot to say how good he was at chess.

Wait, is he Magnus Carlsen?

Oh no he sucks at chess too. I just wanted to rag on him.

(actually no he's pretty good I guess, beats anyone in the family anyway, he's too much of a recluse to play anyone else or perhaps online)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

wrong thread woops

e: have a cat

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I feel like a life skills class should probably focus on "figuring out how to do things" as a skill in and of itself, because if I want to know how to do something I just type it into youtube and there's someone who has made a helpful video on how to do it, which is how I pulled the light module out of my car to change a bulb and put it back in again, and then got asked to do the same thing for a friend who didn't feel up to typing it into youtube, on the basis that I already knew how.

I feel like a lot of people just assume they can't do things, and it's not limited to younger people either, I see it a tremendous amount in older people who just "can't do [x]" when in reality they're just looking at it and not really trying to learn how to do it, because the option is available to fob it off and/or get someone else to do it for them.

I've been able to do a lot of things just by being willing to have a go. Turns out a lot of stuff is pretty easy if you try.

I have told people many times that I don't actually have any expertise I just have a computer and the ability to watch youtube videos. Doesn't seem to deter them from assuming I can just somehow do things they can't. It's fair enough if it's a physical limitation for them but a lot of people seem to default to a state of self enforced helplessness when faced with relatively simple tasks.

I blame society, I'm sure it's intentional to stop people thinking about what else they could achieve by taking things into their own hands.

I am pretty sure the economy relies on this to function.

I never constructed a building before either but I gave it a try and it looks pretty good IMO, I loving hand hewed the logs that make up the roof beams, with an axe, that I rehung myself! If I went back in time and told 20 year old myself what I've done he would not believe me.

I lived most of my life until my late 20s feeling like "I am a generally incompetent person I know how to do X, but for anything else I need help from a professional". I feel like apartment / urban life excarbated this, there's something about that whole lifestyle I felt that boxed me into my role. I was an apartment dweller, I did X for a living and if I need Y I call a guy educated in that and that is how society is supposed to work. And where would I keep such tooling anyway in my not that small apartment of 75m2, on the top floor without an elevator.

I didn't break that mold until we found out we where having kids and we decided to move out to the countryside and build a house. I also then met a friend who is like the most incredible ultimate DIY'er, makes people like Adam Savage look like incompetent clowns who can't do anything without expensive equipment and they still act like unsafe clowns with it.

He really helped me get started and taught me the value of "correct thinking" about things, I was gonna buy some lovely table saw but he helped me find some old german saw that was a thousand times better I still have that saw. The value of 2nd hand quality over modern crap is now central to my thinking.

Since then I've learned woodworking, how to weld, machining, blacksmithing, basic electronics. When our dishwasher broke, I fixed it, I didn't create a catastrophic mess like a 90s sitcom dad.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

1965917 posted:

Concentration camp Kieth goes onto emphasis that it would only be temporary.

But theres nothing more permanent than a temporary solution

Koncentration Kamp Keith.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This link worked for me:

Can't actually see the difference between HDS link they posted and this though! (When I clicked the link HDS posted it didn't work for me either but now it does... weird, or what?)

Imgur is such a poo poo sometimes. Thx for fixing it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Coworker came back from vacation to Germany, he's bosnian and has relatives there. Said he never wants to visit Germany again, overcrowded, expensive and homeless people sleeping in the streets he said.

Just thought it was funny since I keep reading so many positive things about it from people going there in this thread.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jedit posted:

Co-worker is full of poo poo. I spend a week in Germany every year for an enormous trade fair that dumps tens of thousands of people into a small city during a local festival week and it still feels less cramped than Manchester or Glasgow on a Saturday. There are homeless people, yes - there always will be - but the streets are not an open air hostel and I've never seen a cop moving anyone along. The rents are cheaper than here too, plus the average salary is higher.

We're from Finland, not the UK so our standards are different. Which was my point.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Free market, love it or leave it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jedit posted:

They left it.

They left a common market AFAIK

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Have to poo poo

making GBS threads

I made a poo poo!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nobody piss on him

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Scientastic posted:

Yes, but the problem is that you are ignoring the testimony of actual Chinese people who have fled the regime and now can tell their story without (as much) fear of reprisal. I’m sure your trip(s) to China was/were great, but to pretend that the people who live in China are not subjugated and controlled is to wilfully ignore the huge amount of easily accessible evidence to the contrary, because it somehow favours your personal worldview.

Or that Beijing is representative of the rest of china.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

kecske posted:

chabuduo is the way to a happy life

A good enough life at any rate

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

What did he get banned for? I don't think posting AI pictures in the AI thread three weeks ago is the actual reason?

Didn't know brown moses was a car guy

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I assume the alerts everyone's been talking about all weekend was related to Diane Abbots fib so nobody would miss it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

From the comics thread

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Never had that personally. I've had hypoglycemic episodes down down to 2.9 mmol/l and it made me weak and feeble and I definitely knew something was wrong and I was mostly preoccupied finding a candy bar.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hopefully the week ends with him dying

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I thought he meant, put the king and royals into prison at first. And I was yeah why not, saves time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

feedmegin posted:

There are enough people (needlessly) freaking out in the world in general about 'soon ChatGPT will become self aware!' and suchlike without a new thread for it. It's fancy predictive text. It's not Skynet and will not and cannot become Skynet by iterating on what it is now.

Why you gotta bring people down man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's bad. Cheddar is one of the few things my son likes.