Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

usually check out the veges and fruit aisles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World was dry and serious sounding enough that it scared the poo poo out of me when I was young. Serious concerns I was going to catch the stigmata.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A friend and I broke into Highgate Cemetery on Saturday the 14th (we both worked the night before) to hunt for the :spooky:Highgate Vampire:spooky:. We stumbled about in the dark using the meagre light of our pre-smartphone screens, I think maybe we found Marx's grave and he swore he was accosted by bats but I didn't see em. Eventually we were done and headed back to the wall near the main gate that we'd first climbed over.

I pulled him back before he jumped down directly in front of a parked police van and we walked the other direction looking for another exit. Then the helicopter that we thought was way overhead put its spotlight down on us and we dove into the dirt. No idea if it spotted us or not but we jumped up and ran god knows how far to the nearest wall, scrambled over and to the nearest bus stop.

So we eventually get back to the pub we lived and worked at white as ghosts and covered in poo poo. Everyone there was like 'whoa you saw it' which was brilliant. I can also say I've been chased by the police in the lamest, nerdiest way ever.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Might have been, we were working from a zine he picked up from Camden Market on a mushroom run and came in through A Big Gate but that's all I can remember.

The pub was the Gregorian in Bermondsey about 20 years back, which had its own ghost stories relating to the apparent plague pit next store. People say they heard and smelt things but I think that was dodgy plumbing. We actually had Ghostwatch? film some segments there because it's a fine old spooky Georgian building and I suspect I failed to charge them thousands for the privilege.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Whenever I hear tabs these days this is the only thing that comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8nvBr9toug&t=54s

damnit they removed the punchline, so here's NORMAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8RrhCXBomc

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Labour council candidate knocked on the door, and now gutted that I didn't have 10 minutes prep to smite her with facts and logic. Best I could manage was 'well that's too bad' when she tried to explain that literally all parties override their selection bylaws to put who they want in. Literally any other line of argument springing to mind would have been great, like sexcops, or so it was actually a labour council that killed off childrens services to fund guy fawkes night??

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

In a very weird space right now where another Dad and I are slowly bonding over our kids playdates and I think this is what making new friends used to feel like?

Quickly watching the relevant episode of Bluey to make sure I'm not getting mixed signals

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The real challenge is how you tie your tie (don't lie I know you can). The cadets taught me the full windsor and it fucks me right up to do a standard half.

"Bond didn't trust anyone with a windsor knot, there was something of the cad about them" is a good enough endorsement these days

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Same, I was set to become The One To Turn To for replacing cracked phone screens until I royally hosed up my own one and don't dare touch them now.

e: love living in a world where you can say 'hold on I'll get my spudger'

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 3, 2023

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol that's why my VM is mostly working but can't access SA through the Android app right now?

We had a shooting range under the gym, but this is in the south of NZ where competitive rabbit culling is a moral good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

God I miss Negativland / Over the Edge

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The last thing I read that was vaguely right wing was I think Stephen Baxter's 'Manifold Space' which felt like it was trying to be a sci fi Terry Goodkind. Possibly I completely missed blatant satire but it didn't seem good enough to stick with and confirm.

'[Lady protag] looked suspiciously at the aid worker. What could he possibly get from giving of his own time and energy to those poors for no material gain? Suddenly a small house boy appeared. Ah, there it is.'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sweet validation!

Arguably The Martian is a bit libertarian. Not for his can-do go it alone keenness, but for his 'I studied horticulture for Science, not like the others who were dirty hippies just in it for the weed' and 'I was selected for this mission for my Matt Damon-like charm and likability, negating the need for those psychology witchdoctors with their fake mental health bs'.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Imagining the wanking speech from the beginning of Mallrats but it's the audience watching Lumiere's Arrival of the Train

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mourning Due posted:

Anyone else wholloped?

Same OP, week off for Easter hols wasted due to the above. When I had covid proper I had one night of wacky fever dreams, this has been a whole week of lower-grade ones, so that's something I guess.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Pyrex (trademarked as PYREX and pyrex) is a brand introduced by Corning Inc. in 1915 for a line of clear, low-thermal-expansion borosilicate glass used for laboratory glassware and kitchenware.

I need to let people know I've just spent entirely too long trying to figure out why 'lavatory glassware' existed, and if it was the sort of thing I would have seen at my nanna's house along with her 1920's-style phone, clothes wringer etc

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

This is my favourite horse thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF_DpDhv7xs

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

Kier Starmer yesterday

Alternatively, it's good to be the king

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've been using Hemmingway, chatgpt, Word's own system etc to check for grammar, tone, racism etc. Guess Abbott was still on Taytay?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mebh posted:

Prices are OK too. Now i want a chicken bake =(

The ten minute wait between trains at London Bridge on platforms with a Greggs and nothing else to see or do is deadly

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

fuctifino posted:

It looks like Kwasi was sharing his special drugs

https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1654913833121505280

Previously: ant running manically through St James Park with a rope round his neck till he shows Dec where to dig for the sacred toothpicks

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I bought a prebuilt Scan PC from Amazon, was the cheapest for the spec anywhere and it's good, but wow they really cut back on everything not directly advertised, like 2.4g wifi and no bluetooth lol

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I liked Self's track on classic Bomb The Bass album 'Clear'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The benefits of brexits is everywhere, I remember hearing Tony Hancock on the BBC opining on the wonders of new zealand butter... Just last week it was I'm sure...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Why not just put in sex arse bins next to the dog bins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Dolly Parton one might actually be good, but I'd really like to see what she and Lee Child can cook up.