Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

God, I remember those billboards, they infuriated me at the time lol: "He needs an incubator, not an alternative voting system!"
They worked too, which was even more annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think 15 miles is far enough so that you'll likely be horribly injured but not immediately killed :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yes, but 100% of dipshit centrist journalists love him, and they're the real audience here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Julio Cruz posted:

"we must reduce solar power generation, and then use solar power to heat greenhouses"

Funnily enough, the people who do the: "We can't go building solar panels or new houses on our fields, we need them for food security!" never advocate for ending mass livestock production and turning that land over to crops, which really would make a difference to the amount of food we could produce here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TACD posted:

TBH we may have been lucky in the end because from reading online it seems there’s lots of people who get burned by HSBC randomly changing their minds on mortgages, up to and including the day of completion.

Lol, when I was close to completing on my house, I got a call from HSBC saying: "Ooh, there's a problem: there's potentially a £15 annual rentcharge on your house that's been moribund for decades and we don't lend against leasehold properties!"

24 hours of worry later and then it's: "Actually, forget about it, we're all good!"

Fuckers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My universal experience of property transactions is that they're extraordinarily slow and bafflingly opaque. Like, how is it that we allow the most important financial transactions of most people's lives to be handled by a bunch of dudes who always seem to be improvising it all as they go along.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*Visit the ukmt to get the lowdown on today's Budget announcements*

*The entire thread is taking part in a Scooby Doo episode instead*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Red Oktober posted:

Incredible. Literally the only thing protecting him is the royal family so yeah, why not turn on them

What I’m saying is do it, coward.

He's totally silly enough not to be able to grasp this and will diligently saw off the branch that he's sitting on, while feeling justified and rather pleased with himself.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if the Conservatives hold their nerve, at least cosplay as a Sensible and Stable government and (most importantly) get the press firmly back onside, they have an excellent chance of winning the next election. Labour's current leads may look big, but they're shallow as a puddle and would evaporate like one, if the media establishment decided to turn on them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah that's why it's so ironic you're doing that poo poo in this thread.

I can't even start educating you on this, you're so incredibly wrong. Pick up a book on Swedish history, especially the bad bits (so, anything fifty years or more ago). Denmark has a long, long way to go to catch up to Sweden and the rest of us wish they would stop trying.

I'm sure neither of them are as bad as Finland :troll:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Trin Tragula posted:

Today is an interesting day to be in police custody. 90% completely on board, "finally someone listens when we tell them how hosed everything is, we've got no faith anyone's going to fix it, I'm applying to be a train driver". The PACE inspector who's a notorious pain in the arse is in hiding. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Wait, are you working in police custody, or in police custody and posting from a prison cell?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

There are so many personal attack lines that can be used against starmer.

In the run up to the election every day there will be a new one in the tabloids. The CPS did/didn't prosecute/convict my brother/attacker/paedo teacher.

Most of them won't stick, but some will.

Yep same as with Corbyn: throw everything at him, work out the lines of attack that stick, then relentlessly repeat them and watch his poll ratings plummet.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If the journos like Peston weren't so poo poo we wouldn't be able to enjoy people dunking on them on twitter.

If they weren't poo poo, they wouldn't be in positions of importance in the first place.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Of course that dweeb Matt Hancock falls for it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

Peak Graun on how Starmer could lose the next election if he doesn't embrace everything the Tories are already doing: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/27/labour-lose-election-three-hurdles-working-class-immigration

Maybe because the "average voter" is a horrible Sun/Mail/Express-reading ham-goblin motivated by spite?

I read this whole atrocity of an article and have the brain cell loss to prove it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Who wrote that article, anyway?

From the Guardian:

The Guardian posted:

Matthew Goodwin is associate professor at the University of Nottingham and author of Revolt on the Right: Explaining Public Support for the Radical Right in Britain

Ok, that's a bit thin, how about Wikipedia?

Wikipedia posted:

His research focuses on British politics, radical-right politics, and Euroscepticism.

On 27 May 2017, he predicted that Labour would not reach 38 per cent of the vote in the 2017 general election and he would eat his book if they did.[ Labour did and, on 10 June, Goodwin chewed one page out of his book, live on Sky News.

Some researchers criticised Goodwin and Eric Kaufmann for joining a public debate on immigration which, they argued, encouraged "normalisation of far right ideas."

Goodwin is on the advisory panel of the Free Speech Union, a group founded by Toby Young that "stands up for the speech rights of its members" and "fights Twitter 'Witch-Hunts'". He has also served as Senior Advisor to the government's Education Committee on Left Behind pupils and has given evidence to the Public Bills Committee on the importance of defending academic freedom in universities.

Hmm. Oh, he writes for Unherd! Let's see his articles...

In defence of Lee Anderson
How universities were corrupted
The future is Marine Le Pen
Can Britain survive the woke wave?
*many, many articles on what a great chap Boris is*

Sounds like this guy sucks!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

I would suggest that a moment's reflection might lead you to realise that one thing you are not likely to do with a Muslim is have a pint. However, I am certain that you are already aware of this and are just being a bigoted oval office.

njan99 has a many-faceted soul, but I don't believe that bigotry is one of those facets :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I haven't actually read the full job spec etc so maybe the job isn't want the title suggests).

Perhaps it's job title inflation, and 'head' of cyber security effectively means junior trainee and the actual head has a job title like god-emperor of cyber security or something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

Oh god. We’re at the stage of the election cycle where focus groups start pulling these stupid loving stereotypes out of their arses

I thought this was the Guardian's April Fools joke but no, it's loving real.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hmm.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/05/peter-murrell-nicola-sturgeons-husband-arrested-over-snp-funding-investigation

quote:

Peter Murrell, Nicola Sturgeon’s husband, has been arrested by Scottish police in an investigation into the Scottish National party’s fundraising and finances.

Police Scotland said a 58-year-old man had been “arrested as a suspect” on Wednesday and added that its officers were carrying out searches at a number of addresses linked to the investigation.

The investigation was launched after complaints about the SNP’s handling of £600,000 in donations raised by the party ostensibly to campaign for and hold a second independence referendum.

It is alleged the money instead was used to help with the party’s day-to-day running costs...

Not a party funding expert, so not sure how 'bad' this is in law.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

People always bang on about the literary merit of Ayn Rand

Who the hell does that

Her books are telephone directory sized assaults on the English language

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chubby Henparty posted:

Sweet validation!

Arguably The Martian is a bit libertarian. Not for his can-do go it alone keenness, but for his 'I studied horticulture for Science, not like the others who were dirty hippies just in it for the weed' and 'I was selected for this mission for my Matt Damon-like charm and likability, negating the need for those psychology witchdoctors with their fake mental health bs'.

The author of The Martian - Andy Weir - is an absolute dweeb. He used to have a webcomic! And he sure posted some opinions in it :mrwhite:

If the thread is very very good, I might post some links.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
And yes, that's a threat :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Other goons posted:

Martian chat

Consider this a warning shot:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mr Phillby posted:

I feel like thats misrepresenting Casey and Andy a bit because its not interesting enough to be weird and horny with any consistency.

Andy Weir draws crude, amateurish pin-up art of his tedious webcomic characters, calls it "cheesecake" and proudly posts it on the internet and I will continue to bring this up whenever The Martian is mentioned online :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Almost no one has that kind of big money in that infogram, as noted the figures are bigger than the average working income.
The only pensioners I know with anything like approaching that kind of dosh are widows whose husbands had large life insurance policies pay up when they died or divorcees who got the house and did not marry toyboys from Egypt or Ghana to spend it all on.
Apparently the average weekly pensioner total income (2017/18 figures) is about £304 per week

Yeah, for an annual pension income of, say, £30k, you'd need £600k - £700k to put into an annuity and how many people have the opportunity to save that sort of dosh up over the course of a working life? For the majority of people, any private pension they have will only ever be a supplement to the state pension. The idea that the average person will be able to build up that sort of sum, as well as dealing with rent, mortgages, household bills, children and student loan repayments is such utter bullshit, and yet the whole conversation around pensions is always couched in these terms: "Hmm, why aren't young people ramping up their pension contributions, they just mustn't realise how important it is!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What I'd say to people is: consider how the left is routinely and systematically lied about and slandered by the British media and then apply that knowledge to what that same media is telling you about the international situation. I've been to China and it was very clearly a well-organised country that was wealthy and very rapidly getting wealthier. The Chinese people I met lived lives just like ours except with, you know, working infrastructure and I saw fewer police in Beijing than I do in London.

Please consider that when the British media inform you that other countries, who happen to have interests that conflict with those of our ruling classes, are authoritarian hellholes, that perhaps they're just full of poo poo? This thread knows that the media lie about the left as a matter of course: why would you imagine that they're giving you an honest and truthful depiction of anything else that's happening in the world?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Scientastic posted:

I’m sure your trip(s) to China was/were great, but to pretend that the people who live in China are not subjugated and controlled is to wilfully ignore the huge amount of easily accessible evidence to the contrary, because it somehow favours your personal worldview.

Eh, perhaps? :shrug: Everyone I met in China seemed content with their lives and confident about the future; I guess that could have all been an act to conceal their oppression from the westerner? In terms of infrastructure, living standards, rising life expectancy and general long term planning, China seems to be doing far better than we are, which makes me particularly reluctant to go wagging my finger at them and telling them how they should be running their country better.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Interesting article on Starmer (so long as you can stand the sneery Tory tone of the piece):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/04/13/keirs-blunders-paving-way-unprecedented-fifth-tory-victory/

Basically saying that Starmers strategy of:

Is grossly insufficient to win a significant election victory and is opening the field up for the Tories to make a comeback and win a 5th term in office.

quote:

Keir Starmer’s blunders are paving the way for an unprecedented fifth Tory win

Faced with a competent opponent, he is scrambling for an alternative message – and seemingly failing

To win the next election, Rishi Sunak needs three miracles. The first is for the small boats to stop, which now looks possible after the Albania deportations. Next, he needs to turn the widely predicted recession into recovery – which he may still do. But the third factor is one that he has no control over: he needs Keir Starmer to miss the historic opportunity in front of him and squander what was once a 30-point opinion poll lead. On that front, so far so good.

"Our lead is soft,” says one concerned shadow cabinet member. “And we still don’t have much of an agenda.” Should they have, at this stage in the election cycle? The election is getting closer, possibly May next year. So where was New Labour, 12 months out? By April 1996, it was standing tall. Members of the shadow cabinet had become national figures. Robin Cook had given his eviscerating response to the Scott Report into the arms-to-Iraq affair. Gordon Brown was famous for spending restraint. George Robertson and Donald Dewar had devolution plans ready to go.

This would require an agenda – and it’s far from clear that Starmer has one. His attempts to explain his philosophy via long speeches and articles have all seemed to deepen the mystery rather than clear anything up. The text of his last speech was published by The Spectator and, midway through, we buried an offer of free champagne to anyone who read that far. No one claimed it. But at the time, a vision didn’t matter so much. Now, with the local elections next month and general election next year, voters are seeing Labour not as a protest vote but as an alternative. It’s a higher bar.

The hope in No 10 is that Labour has not yet been subjected to the scrutiny given to a government-in-waiting. A poll last weekend showed the Labour lead down by almost two-thirds to just 11 points. It is an outlier, but the aim in No 10 is to reduce the lead to 10 percentage points by Christmas. This present may arrive earlier than they expected.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Brown Moses sucks and I'm glad he was banned :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Good to hear that while our geopolitical opponents are so dangerous that they're threatening the Western Way of Life, they're simultaneously so corrupt and incompetent that their nukes will fizzle out on the launch pads like faulty fireworks :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In Elden Ring, I got with the sexy witch girl :smug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At least don't post enormous screeds of ai text: I'm not reading all that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

It's because a couple of the ruling deities literally decided to lend their disciples a hand, with the expected theological repercussions.

My Elden Ring experience is building up enormous inventories of bizarre gizmos with unhelpful descriptions, but never selling them off just in case I need them later on.

Moonlight tinged pebble A riverside stone, imbued with the rays of the waning moon. Can be combined with a certain infusion to create a powder with helpful qualities in a tight spot.

:confused: Ok.... thanks.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Looks like the CBI's going under lol. These days, you can't even turn a blind eye to a culture of sexual abuse within your organisation without woke zealots (ftse 100 companies) deciding to boycott you.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, it's quite eyebrow raising just how many Nazis went on to become valued and very senior members of NATO. There's dudes who were literally photographed with Hitler who ended up commanding NATO forces in the 50's and 60's.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

notaspy posted:

The labour left is a loving joke

Just helplessly letting themselves be picked off one by one. Their failure to act when Corbyn was suspended pretty much indicated how the next couple of years would play out.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Answers Me posted:

I’m not going to listen to any moralising on racism from the Labour right, but this was clearly a dumb thing to say that plainly invites all the blowback she’s going to get from it…

You're assuming that life is fair here: she's only being picked up on it because the Labour leadership is already out to get her: if it wasn't this, it'd be something else. If she was in with the Establishment, it would simply never have been called out or reported on.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

It's an omission so glaring, and simultaneously necessary for the premise to stand, that I don't remotely get how she didn't think of it.

Well, it fits her explanation that this was an uncompleted first draft that she sent by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Desiderata posted:

The older I get the more I feel that the actual details just do not matter. Why even bother knowing who said what in the political slap fight of the week. It's all just patterns, a means to an end, and yeah we will step back and realise this was always a systematic purge of the labour left. That's how the history books will record it.